PDA

View Full Version : Installing lens flange on metal board?

Rider
9-Jul-2007, 13:12
What is the normal procedure for installing a lens flange on a metal lens board?

Jan Pedersen
9-Jul-2007, 13:53
Countersunk allen screws 2.5mm will work on most lens flanges.
A 2mm drill bit and a 2.5mm tap, a 2mm allen wrench i believe is the right size for a 2.5mm screw. A little drop of loctite is not a bad idea if you know the flange is staying on the board for a while.

Jim Noel
9-Jul-2007, 14:33
I don't drill metal boards. I simply put the ring on the inside of the board and tighten with my lens wrench. This has always worked for me.

John Schneider
9-Jul-2007, 14:52
Whatever you do, don't use solid rivets. I had a heck of a time not mangling a soft aluminum Kodak 8x10 Master Camera board by drilling and punching out the solid rivets the previous owner installed.

Uusilehto
9-Jul-2007, 15:41
I don't drill metal boards. I simply put the ring on the inside of the board and tighten with my lens wrench. This has always worked for me.

In case you didn't notice, the question was how to install flanges. Not how to use retaining rings.

seawolf66
9-Jul-2007, 16:24
[I] think John schneider's answer is right on the mark since it does save you the worry of mounting it to start with: [In case you didn't notice, the question was how to install flanges. Not how to use retaining rings.]\[VBG] Lauren

Jim Jones
9-Jul-2007, 18:38
Perhaps a less controversial answer would be "A popular and practical way to install a lens flange on a metal lens board is to screw it onto the rear threads of the shutter from the back of the board."

Rider
9-Jul-2007, 19:51
I see a few people have had too much after dinner Schnapps. I'll try to ask the question another day.

Salty
9-Jul-2007, 20:18
If I'm putting a flange from an Ilex 3, 4, 5 shutter on a board, I first put the flange on the shutter itself and then put it on the board to see how I want the shutter aligned. I prefer the cable release socket straight up. I then make match marks on the flange and lensboard. From there it's getting flat head metal screws and drill the holes. When I'm done I take a pair of end nippers and cut the ends of the screws that protrude too far.