PDA

View Full Version : Making a *temporary* bellows...

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 09:26
Hi, all -

The bellows I've ordered seem to be inexplicably delayed. Don't know for how long, but I haven't shot my Seneca in about five weeks, and there's no end in sight.

So, I gets ta thinkin' this morning that I have a lot of film bags laying around, and that, in the interim, they'd suffice as a short-term bellows. I'm thinking quick-and-dirty, as simple as double sided tape and new frames.

Anyone make a cheap-o bag bellows before? Any suggestions for me a'fore I commence to building?

Thanks,
Scott, bellows-less in PA

Brian Ellis
9-Jul-2007, 10:11
Is there some reason why you can't just drape your dark-cloth or something similar over the existing bellows (or do you have no bellows at all)?

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 10:17
I be bellows-less. Had to send them and the frames in to get the new bellows fabbed.

Bob Gentile
9-Jul-2007, 10:22
Seems to me that your original idea has a lot of merit. Why not try it and see? Worst case -- you'll be out a few sheets of film.

Ralph Barker
9-Jul-2007, 10:57
Double-bag and gaffers tape sounds like a reasonable make-do.

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 11:00
Alright, I'm giving it a shot. Double bagged, new frames (which are already clamped and glued... :D). If this doesn't work, I'll spend the $5 and make real bag bellows (http://www.foto-net.de/net/dyo/gross_ww.html).

Either way, I'll be shooting again soon! Woo hoo!!!!

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 11:37
Ok, plan B. The bags aren't actually large enough to go over the rear frame. Looks like I'm making the bag bellows, out of film bags as a first pass.

The design calls for 300mm squares. I want to be able to use my 210mm lens. Any suggestions on how to size the squares?

Alan Rabe
9-Jul-2007, 12:04
Try printing paper bags. They are plenty thick and you can get them in a multitude of sizes.

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 12:47
Ok, preliminary progress report: I cut out the largest available square from my two film bags, which gave me 500mm on a side, each. Have the frames done, taped the squares together inside-out with a folded-down seam, and it looks like it'll let me focus my 210mm lens down to about 5'. I need to drill and install the rear frame, then it's golden.

Pictures of this God-awful looking bandaid forthcoming... :rolleyes:

Bob Gentile
9-Jul-2007, 13:25
"... Pictures of this God-awful looking bandaid forthcoming..."

This should be good. :)

Donald Qualls
9-Jul-2007, 14:06
Careful, there, Scott -- you may find this works so well you'll want to use it all the time for your shorter lenses (say, 135 mm Super Angulon, which ought to leave some movement room on 5x7). Then you'll be embarrassed to have your nice Seneca out with that contraption on it (of course, in that case, you'll be able to make up a new bag for that $5 you talked about).

Scott --
9-Jul-2007, 18:19
Well, there ya go:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/IMG_1944.jpg

It's ugly, stiff, and is truly a bag bellows, made from plastic film bags, but it's light tight, and I can focus the 210/5.6 to infinity. Can't fold the camera down, but should my real bellows ever actually get here (:mad:), these'll go in my parts box.

Whatever. I'm going out shooting tomorrow, taking my ugly camera, my new spotmeter, and a stack of 5x7 holders. Yee-hah!

Sandeha
9-Jul-2007, 23:06
Hehehe ... that is UGLY. :D

Colin Robertson
9-Jul-2007, 23:51
Not to worry- while the others mock your bellows, my (American) wife thinks that your pie safe is gorgeous :)

Ash
10-Jul-2007, 03:54
Wow, Pepsi cans are so different there!

I think it's cool though - no-one will try and mug you for your camera, but you may find a bum trying to sleep in it if you leave the camera alone for too long!

Scott --
10-Jul-2007, 03:58
Told you it was ugly...

Ash, that's the new Diet Pepsi Max - more caffeine. :D

Colin, I actually built my wife her pie safe several years ago. Funny how some things turn out looking nice, and some... Well, look like garbage bag bellows. :rolleyes:

Colin Robertson
10-Jul-2007, 10:23
1. Pepsi with more caffeine = a good thing (come to think of it, anything with more caffeine seems like a smart move).

2. I've been promising to make a pie safe :( My wife seeing this thread again would then be a BAD thing.

Donald Qualls
10-Jul-2007, 11:31
The only way to make a pie safe around me is to hide it.

Oh, wait. Maybe that's the idea behind those pie safes? ;)

In any case, that is indeed one *ugly* bellows, but if it's light tight, who cares? Don't know what's up with Mark Kapono; he apprently hasn't been answering e-mail and such lately. I wonder if his real life (as a biologist of some flavor) has caught up with him?

Scott --
10-Jul-2007, 13:47
Well, light tight's kind of a relative term...
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/bliorg/crop003.jpg

I guess I have a little more leak checking to do.

erie patsellis
10-Jul-2007, 15:22
Scott, find a couple of film changing bags, I scored a half dozen of them recently for $0. Buy a seam ripper (or borrow the wifes) and tear em apart, plenty of nice light tight material for bag bellows.

erie

Frank R
10-Jul-2007, 15:48
Skip looking for the leaks (I mean, do you really want to look real close at the world's ugliest bellows?) and just drape your dark cloth over the bellows before you pull your dark slide.

BTW: don't you just love the accessibility of LF photography? Some parts are so low-tech and you begin to understand the basics of photography and camera design.

Scott --
10-Jul-2007, 17:53
Skip looking for the leaks (I mean, do you really want to look real close at the world's ugliest bellows?) and just drape your dark cloth over the bellows before you pull your dark slide.

BTW: don't you just love the accessibility of LF photography? Some parts are so low-tech and you begin to understand the basics of photography and camera design.

Aw, c'mon - they're not that bad... ;)

Ok, FWIW, I ran the seams with some electrical tape, as most (even though double folded) shone some light. The corners of the rear frame had some pretty sizeable gaps that have now been stuffed with felt. It's as light-tight as it's gonna be, and I'll be draping the towel (um, dark cloth) over the bellows when I shoot.

I really want my new bellows. :(