PDA

View Full Version : confused about installation of Packard shutter.

Rider
8-Jul-2007, 16:48
One of the lenses I'm considering a Packard for is a Wollensak Verito 7.75".

The lens has a nice flange, but the back element stick out nearly 1 inch past the flange. Won't this protrude into the Packard?

Ash
8-Jul-2007, 17:23
Make a box to mount the lens and shutter. This way the rear element sits in front of the shutter.

That, or mount it on the front of lens.

Gene McCluney
8-Jul-2007, 18:06
LOTS AND LOTS of lenses have rear elements that sit beyond the lens flange in back. You just glue together several pieces of wood to make a THICK lensboard.

Ash
8-Jul-2007, 18:12
Actually as Gene said - thick lensboards to the trick. Check out my packard shutter mod in my sig. In the pics you'll see the lenses sit deep in the 3/4 inch wood.

Rider
8-Jul-2007, 18:21
I've seen your mod; at the end of the day, I'll end up with an overized Packard sitting outside. I wonder what having the lens so far out does to tilting.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Jul-2007, 19:59
I've seen your mod; at the end of the day, I'll end up with an overized Packard sitting outside. I wonder what having the lens so far out does to tilting.

When you tilt, you'll also need to use some rise/fall to recompose and you'll probably need an extra iteration or two of focus and tilt in this situation, not unlike using a telephoto lens, but it's manageable once you get used to it. If the distortion isn't a problem, then rear tilts are easier with a lens mounted this way.