PDA

View Full Version : Fomapan 400 Sheet Film

Andrew O'Neill
6-Jul-2007, 11:10
Has anyone used this film? To me it looks like an old school film and if so, I'd like to give it a try. Also, it appears to have extended red sensitivity...

Ron Marshall
6-Jul-2007, 11:49
I've only tried the 200, which is actually about EI 125. Wonderful film.

jmcd
6-Jul-2007, 12:42
I didn't know Foma made the 400 in sheet film. Their tip sheet for this speed just lists 120, 35mm, and other sizes subject of an agreement with the manufacturer. I have shot the 400 in medium format, and it is lovely, definitely with an older style look.

Petr Hartvich
6-Jul-2007, 13:10
Hi Andrew,

jmcd is right, Foma doesn't make any 400 ISO sheet film. You can check it on Foma's website http://www.foma.cz/

Petr

MIke Sherck
6-Jul-2007, 13:11
I would be interested in the film's performance, particularly regarding reciprocity corrections. Where did you find it?

Mike

sparq
6-Jul-2007, 13:31
I quite like Fomapan 400 in 120 rolls.

(Taken with Rollei SL66 & 4/50.)

Gene McCluney
6-Jul-2007, 15:47
Isn't Fomapan 400 actually the ONE film that Foma sells that they actually don't make? I guessed it might have come from England.

Charles Hohenstein
6-Jul-2007, 16:31
Has anyone used this film? To me it looks like an old school film and if so, I'd like to give it a try. Also, it appears to have extended red sensitivity...

Where are you getting Foma 400 sheet film? Freestyle has it in 120, but not 4x5.

Jiri Vasina
7-Jul-2007, 03:55
Hi Andrew,

jmcd is right, Foma doesn't make any 400 ISO sheet film. You can check it on Foma's website http://www.foma.cz/

Petr

Actually, from what I get, they DO produce Fomapan 400 in sheet sizes. But they do not advertise it, they do not sell it in the Czech Republic, any hardly in Europe. From my research I think, they only sell it in USA, rebadged under the Arista.Edu Ultra.

I also didn't find a way to get a Fomapan 200 in any sheet sizes here in the Czech Republic (although they sell it abroad), and it's impossible to get inch-sized sheets of ISO 100 film - they only sell the metric sizes. On the other hand, they even have a 12x16.5cm Fomapan 100 on stock (for those interested)...

I have queried them by email twice for those other sheet films, and did not get any reply (but my orders from their web-shop were delivered always within a week).

Jiri Vasina
7-Jul-2007, 03:59
Isn't Fomapan 400 actually the ONE film that Foma sells that they actually don't make? I guessed it might have come from England.

Gene, I don't think they sell anything under the Foma label, that they do not produce. It might be a confusion with the Arista family of films, the Arista.Edu were from Forte, Arista.Edu Ultra from Foma (and there was also some Arista.something from Agfa some years ago)...

Andrew O'Neill
7-Jul-2007, 08:42
I never said I had the film...just saw it listed somewhere and was curious about it. I'll look into the Arista.

Donald Qualls
7-Jul-2007, 19:37

Not at all -- Fomapan 400 is made the same place as Fomapan 100. I've used a fair amount of it in 120, and it has the same bluish base as Foma 100, not the nearly-clear base of Ilford films. J&C was carrying Foma 400 in centimeter sheets sizes as a special order item (pay your money and it ships from Fotoimpex) shortly before they closed. As suggested above, the only version now available may be the Arista .EDU Ultra, but my experience with the 35 mm, 120, 9x12 and 4x5 versions of Foma 100 is that they act nearly enough the same to use the same development times and exposures in all formats; the same is true of the 35 mm and 120, though I haven't yet used Ultra 400 in sheet form (got a box in 4x5, but using up some Classic 400, aka Fortepan, before I open it).