PDA

View Full Version : Hand holding ebony

Former Member 8144
4-Jul-2007, 15:04
An odd one this but I need to be able to hand hold my ebony SW45 for a couple of shots where a tripod or any support is just not possible.
Now I can pre focus using the g.g....infinity anyway...and sort out a mounted viewfinder (fotoman, etc).

But I need to be able to hold it without the fear of dropping it 30 metres!

Has anyone come across any attachment that would work..perhaps soemthing that would attach to the tripod base?

Thanks,

Marc

Greg Lockrey
4-Jul-2007, 16:12
Really Right Stuff has all kinds of slide bars and attachments that you could cobble up to your Ebony. http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/index.asp

Gordon Moat
4-Jul-2007, 16:25
There is always the Fig Rig (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381894-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_595B_595B_Fig_Rig_Camera.html). This was made originally for heavy video cameras. There is a sliding position plate to get the balance correct. I have actually been considering one for my Shen-Hao.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Ed Richards
4-Jul-2007, 16:48
Get a right angle flash bracket, screw it to the tripod plate, and put a Linhof grip on the side. Or just get a Crown Graphic, for less than you will spend rigging it out.:-)

Frank Petronio
4-Jul-2007, 16:52
Haha yeah everybody with an Ebony (or Arca or Linhof) should pick up a $200 Crown for real-world shooting ;-) I get tempted to myself.

scrichton
4-Jul-2007, 18:39
There is always the Fig Rig.

Couldn't agree more. The fig rig is designed to allow motion of the arms with as little strain as possible. Therefore to hold something still such as your camera it is ideal. If slightly dear, but you get what you pay for with camera supports.

Andrew_4548
9-Jul-2007, 04:20
Are you going to be standing up to take the pictures or mountaineering if there's a 30m drop?

If you're standing up, you could use the "poor man's monopod" of a bolt in the tripod socket and a chain down to the ground which you stand on, pulling slightly upwards to tension it and hold the camera a bit more steady. Old style toilet chain or similar available from hardware shops used to be good for the stuff and a 3/8" BSW bolt with a ring through it fastens into the camera.

And it fits in your pocket when done unlike a monopod... :)

PViapiano
9-Jul-2007, 12:49
Wait...is that Fig Rig just a circular tube with a crossbar...is that all it is?

Andrew_4548
9-Jul-2007, 17:25
Yup - you're paying for the name / endorsement and the hours and hours of development that's gone into it...

Cynical, moi? ;)

Gordon Moat
9-Jul-2007, 17:31
Basically, yes the Fig Rig is a circle with a crossbar. On the crossbar is a sliding plate mount with lockdown, similar to the Bogen/Manfrotto macro positioning plate, and several of their video heads. They also include grips and mounting points for other items. You could probably make something like it and save $50, if you have some metal working items handy.

The idea of the sliding plate camera mount is to balance the Fig Rig. The downside is that it is heavy to hold the camera at arms length for any significant time.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Andrew_4548
9-Jul-2007, 17:37
I suppose it's made for the movie industry where static shots aren't used that often - it's mainly used for action / movement to help with fluidity without the big steadicam setups. At least if you're moving about, you're not thinking how heavy the darned thing is getting and making your arms droop...

Former Member 8144
10-Jul-2007, 04:19
I'm shooting from on top of a lighthouse but I think I'm going to manage to get away with sneaking a monopod up there with me..so that will help a lot and mean I won't need to handhold the camera..that and a viewfinder will do the trick very nicely..I can just use the one from my mamiya 7 50mm lens as once I've found the centre point on the ground glass I can then recentre with the viewfinder's cross hair when I shoot.
Thanks for the help.
Marc

Andrew_4548
10-Jul-2007, 07:30
You can get monopods with folding "footplates" which could be steadier.

Secondly, there's free-standing monopods (I've got a Manfrotto one) but they're only much good for leaving it stood up with a camera on if you're desperate - I wouldn't rely on it for taking a picture unaided unless there's a) no wind at all and b) no seismic activity with 1000 miles as they can wobble a lot...

C. D. Keth
10-Jul-2007, 16:00
I suppose it's made for the movie industry where static shots aren't used that often - it's mainly used for action / movement to help with fluidity without the big steadicam setups. At least if you're moving about, you're not thinking how heavy the darned thing is getting and making your arms droop...

That's what it's made for but it's so worthless it's kind of a joke amongst camera operators, myself included.

Ed Richards
10-Jul-2007, 18:30
By on top do you mean on the roof or up with the light? If you are up with the light, you should be able to set up a small tripod, or, perhaps better, a bogen superclamp with a ball head on it. Get the one with the big opening and it would grab a railing just fine and give you a working platform. If you are up on the roof, then you should be holding on with both hands and using a point and shoot with your teeth.:-)