PDA

View Full Version : Color Neg or Transparancy Film?

Robert Beech
13-Jul-1998, 14:12
Which is the "best" film to use for LF?

For my own work, I want to make poster-sized prints. This can be done with eith er film type, although it is more expensive to use transparency film for this.

With transparency film, there is no need to make a proof print so there is a cos t savings there. Unfortunatly, there is less exposure latitude so bracketing is desireable and the cost savings is negated.

What do you folks out there in Large Format Land shoot with and Why? What is th e end purpose of your images?

Ellis Vener
13-Jul-1998, 17:00
I use Fuji RVP (Velvia) and RDPII (Provia 100) in the QuickLoad format (and in t he QuickLoad holder). Most recently several of my images were blown up to approx 8ft.x10ft for use as set dressing on "The Wheel of Fortune" game show. I find t hat when I do bracket extensively it is either because the light or the scene wa s changing rapidly. usually however I meter carefully (Minolta Spot F) and shoot on the average of 4 to 6 sheets per image. I also use Polaroid Type 79 to check on my metering skills, since IMHO, the Polaroid has less latitude than real fil m. I process one sheet normally and one at plus 1/2 and evaluate from there, un less I know I want something different done. Experience also helps. I like shoot ing transparency because both my printer and I can see what I shot directly and do not have to be dependent on subjective evaluations. on the other hand we jus t made a 50x60 print for a clients office from an 8x10 negative and it just sang . Good luck finding your magic film, Ellis Vener

Ron Shaw
13-Jul-1998, 18:14
If you want prints, its better to start with print film.

Chris Bitmead
16-Jul-1998, 00:22
Most people who shoot LF shoot transparency film. I guess the main reason is tha t a LF transparency is a beautiful thing in and of itself.

I guess if you don't want Ilfochrome then a negative will be slightly easier (ma ybe), but the slide on the lightbox is so beautiful it seems a shame to miss out .

Doug Herta
16-Jul-1998, 18:50
Like the posters above, I use slide film. Quickload Astia and Velvia in a Polar oid 545i back. Quickload is an expensive habit, but for backpacking and remote locations, it is lighter than individual holders and dust is not a problem. The re are limited emulsions available, but it can work out well because one is forc ed to get to know the characteristics if a couple films and learn how to us them .

The end purpose of the images is 16 X 20 Ilfochome and Fuji Super Glossy R print s. There is the school of thought that one should shoot print film to get print s. It does not work for me because I want to be able to evaluate exposure and c omposition with a loupe and a light table.