PDA

View Full Version : using outdated b&w sheet film

william kirchoff
4-Jul-2007, 11:52
Greetings everyone-

does anyone have any suggestions or advise on how to get the best results from some seriously outdated black and white sheet film...

11X14 Ektapan dated 05/1994
12X20 Tri-X dated 11/2002

Both boxes were in my basement which is fairly cool and dry. Should I be increasing exposure slightly to add density to the negative or increase aggatation during processing to bump up the contrast? I don't want to waste the film, and I will have a good idea of the films condition after I process the first sheets. But if there are any techniques I can use to get the most from the film, I would appreciate it. Also, any thoughts on Bergger film? I hear good things about this film, but have never use it. I also went on the J&C website in search of classic 200. Now that they are closed, is there any other source for this film in 12X20 size? Thanks for any and all help on these questions, and happy 4th of July!

Will

Gene McCluney
4-Jul-2007, 12:07
Your film, if still sealed in the foil pouches Kodak uses inside the film boxes, should be just peachy-fine. I recently cracked open a box of 8x10 Plus-X that expired in 1980, and it worked just fine for me, and I purchased this film when fresh, and stored it in my studio at coolish rooom temperatures since new. I recently also opened a 10 sheet box of Ektapan in 11x14 also expired in 1980. It was fine also.

Gene McCluney
4-Jul-2007, 12:12
I think the J&C classic 200, was Foma. Fomapan200. In 12x20 size, Freestyle offers one from Bergger and 2 emulsions from Efke. Those would be your most reliable options for ready availability. The Bergger would be essentially the same as Forte 200. While Forte is gone, Bergger amassed a huge stock under their own name to tide them over until they get production going at another manufacturer.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Jul-2007, 12:56
J&C Classic 200 and 400 (and Bergger 200) were Fortepan, which is no longer available unfortunately. Fomapan 200, though, is a nice film.

Dan Ingram
4-Jul-2007, 13:59
I agree -- they should both be fine if they were sealed and kept in a stable environment. As for the Tri-X, I don't even start to think about it being old until it's MUCH older than yours, as long as it hasn't been stored in a hot car trunk or anything like that. Besides, there's so much latitude with those films that there's not much to worry about even if it has been affected. I've used recently used Tri-X from the 1980s, unrefrigerated, that turned out fine. (Not perfect, but not bad.)

Dan

william kirchoff
4-Jul-2007, 15:16
Thanks for the info everyone-

Will

C. D. Keth
6-Jul-2007, 22:32
In smaller sizes I would probably overexpose a bit to tighten the grain up but in 4x5 or larger, just shoot it!

scott_6029
7-Jul-2007, 10:19
I've got some old tri-x that works just fine. I rate it at 125, but ymmv. There is some fog, but not a serious issue...