PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic Signal Corps Training Film

Lee Hamiel
4-Jul-2007, 05:49
Interesting series of three video clips of a Speed Graphic Signal Corps Training Film.

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hROn0gA9z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJ8JxxrxjQ&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79HeseTukuE&mode=related&search=

65Galaxie
4-Jul-2007, 18:35
Thanks for the info. I just found out there's all kinds of photography videos on youtube. My filter had blocked all youtube activity so I didn't know what I was missing. A lot of stuff on Ansel Adams and some other large format photographers and some really stupid stufff. About 3 videos on just a blackcloth. I'm really surprised at the amateurishness of the camera operators.

Merg Ross
4-Jul-2007, 22:00
Thanks, Lee, that was interesting.

I was in the Signal Corps in 1964 and assigned to the Army Pictorial Center in New York (Astoria). That is where many of the Army training films were made utilizing the former Paramount Astoria complex. My guess is that the Speed Graphic film was a WWII training film made at the APC. The billet and foot locker looked all too familiar!

The APC was an interesting place. It was where Army photographers awaited assignment, retirement or were returning from assignment. I met the first Signal Corps photographers returning from Viet Nam and also spent many mornings with General MacArthur's personal photographer, Sergeant Falaice (sp.); he made the famous shot of MacArthur wading ashore in the Philippines ( most likely with a Speed Graphic).

I arrived at the APC during a time when the Army utilized civilian skills. I had already made all of the mistakes possible with a Speed graphic (as depicted in the film) so received no training. It was assumed that we were ready for assignment the day we arrived at the Center. I was subsequently sent to Thailand as batallion photographer.

Brett Weston was stationed at the APC during WWII and was fortunate to have Arthur Rothstein as his Commanding Officer. Arthur, aware of the talent under his command, gave Brett freedom to document New York with an 11x14 camera, resulting in Brett's portfolio of New York.

Sorry for the off topic digression.

Merg

David A. Goldfarb
5-Jul-2007, 05:22
Fantastic!

Lee Hamiel
5-Jul-2007, 12:22
Hi Merg:

Re:

"Sorry for the off topic digression."

Do not apologize as I really like hearing these stories as they are great!

Most interesting as you were directly involved - I'm guessing that everyone simply used their equipment to the maximum potential possible & that it became second nature when shooting with the Speed Graphics like using a Nikon F/Leica/etc. ...

Did the military decide to quit using LF at any given point in time?

We don't have any Speed Graphics but my son uses a Graflex Super D 3x4 that was my father's camera. He just shot some family reunion pics recently with great results & enjoyed working with larger negs in the darkroom.

Sorry for the digression:)

Regards

BrianShaw
5-Jul-2007, 16:56
The Navy stopped using LF some time between 1968 and 1972 if I'm not mistaken.

Merg Ross
6-Jul-2007, 07:31
Hi Lee-

Glad you did not mind the digression!

I am not really certain when the military abandoned large format. Besides the Speed Graphic, we used a B&H Eyemo motion picture camera and a 70mm Combat Graphic (KS-6). The KS-6 was a later version of the WWII Combat Graphic and weighed about five pounds. I recall using the Eyemo to film General MacArthur's funeral in 1964.

In Thailand I had access to a 120 camera as well as the Graphic. When top brass wanted a photo of a visiting general or ambassador, I always grabbed the Graphic. I was assigned to an engineering batallion and the accomodations were quite primitive, a bunch of huts on the edge of the jungle. The "darkroom" was often in the eighty or ninety degree range so it was important to work fast. With the 4x5 I could soup the film, print the negative wet, and deliver a print to the departing general, all within an hour. Sort of a poor man's Polaroid approach. I made no archival claims. It was an interesting experience, with a lot of improvisation!

Regards,
Merg

Robert Hughes
6-Jul-2007, 07:44
"...a poor man's Polaroid..." LOTF!:p I s'pose at 90 degrees you don't have much choice. Amazing the emulsion didn't slide off the backing.

I've got an Eyemo that looks like it was used as a crash camera in Hollywood some time back. It was all out of whack when I first got it (and foolishly used it on a shoot without testing:( ) but with a little TLC and body english have wrenched it back into good working order for the next 50 years of service.

Lee Hamiel
11-Jul-2007, 12:20
Merg:

"I recall using the Eyemo to film General MacArthur's funeral in 1964."

This is what I enjoy most - firsthand accounts from people like you who can share stories like this.

Thanks & don't stop sharing ...

Regards

Steve Feldman
11-Jul-2007, 12:42
Way off topic: . . . .

My adult school photo teacher, Warren King, was stationed in Germany during WWII as a batallion photographer (at the tender age of 19). He reports that he was walking around outside of camp with his Speeder and heard (in German) "I surrender". It was a German soldier, younger than he. By the time they got back to camp, Warren had 30 German soldiers lined up marching into camp. All had surrendered to a Speed Graphic.