PDA

View Full Version : Microtek F1 vs V700

snaggs
3-Jul-2007, 18:58
Has anybody compared these scanners yet or tried the F1? I've been told that the Microtek F1 benefits compared to the Epson V700:

- Glass free film scanning for the most popular film formats.
- Auto-focus.
- Includes a Full version of Silverfast (V700 ships with a limited edition).
- Faster transparency scanning.
- IT8 colour target included for automatic colour calibration of scanner.
- Larger scanning bed.

Although its "only" rated at 4800dpi, we all know that the V700 doesn't actually achieve anything usefull at that resolution. So I'd be curious to know what the real DPI is for these respective scanners.

Daniel.

Walter Calahan
4-Jul-2007, 04:03
Please buy a Microtek F1 and let us know what you learn. Sounds like a very good package.

I have the V750. It's a good machine, but I wouldn't call it revolutionary.

What's the price point of the F1? More like the V700 or the V750?

snaggs
4-Jul-2007, 04:54
Well, here in OZ.. the F1 is roughly DOUBLE the V700 cost. Now, I have no problem paying double the price for say a 33% improvement over a V700. What would annoy me would be paying double and it performing worse!

Has anyone worked out whether you get a benefit scanning at 6400dpi vs say 3200dpi? i.e. if you scan at 6400dpi and then down size by half, how does this compare to 3200 dpi?

What is the true native resolution of the Epson? Will the F1 be able to deliver the 4800dpi it states... or will it suffer the usual flatbed rule of halves where 4800dpi means you get a usefull 2400 if your lucky

I'm suprised there are no leaks or reviews on this product. I was told a 3 week delay from order to delivery from the Australian Distributor.

Daniel.

Ted Harris
4-Jul-2007, 06:10
AFAIK the FI that is being marketed in some parts of Asia and Europe is the same machine as the M1 scheduled for release in North America momentarily. However, I don't know of any of the F1's in stock anywhere yet .... has anyone actually seen and used one? I also know (at least at the beginning of last week) that they were notyet in the US but are supposed to be here very soon .... before I went to the VC Conference the Microtek lab folk in California still had not seen one here. The US price is supposed to be around $700 with Silverfast Ai bundled.

Like other changes in consumer scanners over the past five years expect incremental upgrades from the i900 but nothign spectacular or revolutionary ... at least that is what I have understood from prerelease briefings over the past 8 months. Microtek has designated this new scanner as a Artixscan model which is aprt of their professional line but it is NOT an upgrade to the 1800f or 2500f ... it is a very close cousin of the i900.

snaggs
11-Jul-2007, 06:37
Its twice the price of the Epson V700... I'd be expecting a substantial upgrade on the i900!!! I think you'll find thats the reason its release was delayed.. they realised that at twice the price it was not going to be any better than the V700 and so sent it back for re-development.

Daniel.

Anthony Lewis
12-Jul-2007, 03:31
What an item sells for in Australia has little bearing on its US price. Generally most products sell for quite a bit more in all other countries except the States or UK.

kalvino67
16-Sep-2007, 22:05
So, has anyone heard anything further on the scheduled release of the Microtek M1/F1?

Don Miller
17-Sep-2007, 18:04
I emailed Microtek USA but have not heard back. Here's a quote from their website.

Our press release on October 24, 2006, stated that we expected to release the Microtek ArtixScan M1 scanner in February 2007. We now expect to begin production in September and deliver the scanner to stores in the United States in October. We appreciate your interest and apologize for this delay.

So is the M1 the A1?

Gene McCluney
18-Sep-2007, 10:44
I am so glad I purchased a 2500f several years ago. It seems like there are no substantial improvements, except reduction in price for Microtek products.

jvuokko
6-Feb-2009, 03:51
What is the true native resolution of the Epson? Will the F1 be able to deliver the 4800dpi it states... or will it suffer the usual flatbed rule of halves where 4800dpi means you get a usefull 2400 if your lucky

Haven't yet tested much. I own scan dual IV 35mm film scanner which has real 3000dpi resolution and according quick tests, v700 comes to close. But whether that is around 2400dpi or 2800dpi, that I don't know yet.

I am trying to found my test target slides so that I can do precise test...

The flatbed scanners are funny. The sweet point of sharpness is usually somewhear near half of the stated resolution. But above that it gains a little more details. Really little, but it is useful in some really rare cases when you need to do large print. Ofcourse flatbeds requires a lot of USM, otherwise result lacks all details, unlike film scanners which usually has so good sharpness that USM only has negative impact to the result.