PDA

View Full Version : Speed Graphic shutter

Rider
3-Jul-2007, 08:40
Do all speed graphics have a shutter, or is it a removable/optional item?

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 08:46
No,

There were some made with and some made without, I assume your talking about the rear shutter? You can remove the parts of the curtain shutter, but there is really no need unless your trying to save weight.
Dave

Neal Shields
3-Jul-2007, 08:48
Yes and no.

Triditionally a "Speed" Graphic had a focal plane shutter which had a maxium shutter speed of 1000 of a second which was much faster than leaf shutters which usually went up to 1/250th. Hence the designation "speed". "Speed" evolved to mean a camera with a focal plane shutter.

Then Graflex invent a leaf shutter that went up to 1/1000 of a second and introduced a "Super Speed Graphic" that didn't have a focal plane shutter as a perminate part of the camera. With that one exception, I think all "speed graphics" have a focal plane shutter.

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 08:54
Then you throw the Crown graphic into the mix, that was offered with and without the rear shutter, trying to follow the lines of the graphic cameras can become a very interesting trip.....I have also seen "speeds" without the rear shutter, and as far as I can tell, these were custom cameras that were ordered by specific photographers ....a great site to gather information about graphics is located at

http://www.graflex.org

:cool:

Mark Sampson
3-Jul-2007, 09:11
There is some inaccurate information in the above posts. Speed Graphics and Graflex SLR's have the focal plane shutter. Crown Graphics do not, and rely on a shutter in the lens. The Super Graphic came later, and was an improved model w/o the focal-plane shutter. The Super Speed Graphic was a Super Graphic with the 1/000sec. leaf shutter in the lens- no focal plane shutter. All the details are at graflex.org.

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 09:19
Sorry Mark,

I own a crown/pacemaker that has a rear shutter, it is currently my user camera for 4x5, and rest assured, it does have a rear shutter. Now I don't know, perhaps the lens board holding slide was changed somewhere along the way to a crown slide and the speed slide was discarded..

The camera line up is at this link:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/graphic-models.html

Dave

Dan Fromm
3-Jul-2007, 09:35
Dave, I suspect that your camera suffered a lensboard slide swap as you suggested. The link you gave says categorically that Crowns don't have shutters and so does Graphic Graflex Photography.

Cheers,

Dan

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 09:37
Dave, I suspect that your camera suffered a lensboard slide swap as you suggested. The link you gave says categorically that Crowns don't have shutters and so does Graphic Graflex Photography.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan,

I suspect that is probably the case as well, so the information I posted is indeed not accurate.

Thanks

Dave

Donald Qualls
3-Jul-2007, 11:53
I own a crown/pacemaker that has a rear shutter, it is currently my user camera for 4x5, and rest assured, it does have a rear shutter.

If it's a Pacemaker model with rear shutter, it's a Pacemaker Speed. The Crown had a shallower body (and could thus accept about 15 mm shorter focal length lenses) specifically because it didn't have the focal plane shutter; it was the focal plane shutter (and accompanying differences in the body) that was the sole significant distinction between the Crown and Pacemaker Speed.

As Mark posted, the only model called a "Speed" that didn't have a focal plane shutter was the Super Speed, so called because of the 1/1000 leaf shutter (few of which are still operational, and without that shutter the camera is properly called a Super Graphic). No other model without focal plane shutter was ever sold as a Speed Graphic in the roughly fifty years from the original introduction of the "top-handle" Speed Graphic (the model with the small lens board) in 1928 until the Super tooling was sold to Toyo and the Graphic name finally dropped entirely.

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 11:56
Donald,

I already posted that the information I provided was not accurate..

Dave

Neal Shields
3-Jul-2007, 12:13
There is one camera that I forgot, and I am looking at the origional Graflex press release.

There was the "Super Speed Graphic" which was a metal bodied camera with a 1/1000 second leaf shutter, (list price in 1960 $449.50, which we have already talked about, but there was also a "Speed Graphic Model 1000" which was a top range finder wood bodied, leather covered camera with a the 1/1000 leaf shutter. In essence a "Crown Graphic" with the "Super speed shutter". List price $379.50 with a 135mm optar 4.5

This is all from the Sept 1960 Graflex "trade notes". They also show the "Super Graphic" which was a metal bodied camera with the normal shutter.

Rider
3-Jul-2007, 12:18
The Super Speed with the 1/1000 leaf shutter, is that shutter independent of any lens you put on? Are there lens limitations?

If it's a Pacemaker model with rear shutter, it's a Pacemaker Speed. The Crown had a shallower body (and could thus accept about 15 mm shorter focal length lenses) specifically because it didn't have the focal plane shutter; it was the focal plane shutter (and accompanying differences in the body) that was the sole significant distinction between the Crown and Pacemaker Speed.

As Mark posted, the only model called a "Speed" that didn't have a focal plane shutter was the Super Speed, so called because of the 1/1000 leaf shutter (few of which are still operational, and without that shutter the camera is properly called a Super Graphic). No other model without focal plane shutter was ever sold as a Speed Graphic in the roughly fifty years from the original introduction of the "top-handle" Speed Graphic (the model with the small lens board) in 1928 until the Super tooling was sold to Toyo and the Graphic name finally dropped entirely.

Mark Sampson
3-Jul-2007, 12:35
Rider, The Super Speed Graphic came with a 135/4.7 Graflex Optar lens, mounted in the 1/1000 shutter. It had a small built-in lenshood which you twisted in order to cock the shutter. It has a bad reputation for unreliability. (On the only one I have direct experience with, the shutter blades had chewed each other up.) It was considered unrepairable 20 years ago...and from what I remember of the lenshood design, few other optics would fit. You could ask SK Grimes what they think; I'm sure they will have had some history with it.

Rider
3-Jul-2007, 19:00
Is the focal plane shutter on the speed graphic repairable? What do you look for in such a beast?

Dave Parker
3-Jul-2007, 21:38
Yes, it is repairable and has been reliable for almost 90 years now!

:D