PDA

View Full Version : How/Who to repair Sinar P rear focus knob ?

Ken Lee
2-Jul-2007, 17:23
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/SinarFocusKnob.jpg

On the rear standard, the focusing knob has become inoperable. This is the knob which also holds a depth-of-field scale. When I rotate the knob, the knob spins, but the rear standard doesn't move.

To whom should I send the rear standard for sound and speedy repair ? Is there an easy fix that I can do myself ?

Many thanks !

Dan V
2-Jul-2007, 17:29
Have you considered Richard Ritter? http://www.lg4mat.net/

Bob Gentile
2-Jul-2007, 18:08
Might be a silly question, but... have you tried tightening the set-screw?

Jerry Flynn
2-Jul-2007, 18:41
Check with Sinar Bron. There are authorized Sinar repair stations around the country. I have gone to Northwest Cammera Repair in White Bear MN (a suburb of St. Paul) to have work done. I am sure there must be someone out your way.

Ken Lee
3-Jul-2007, 06:21
"...have you tried tightening the set-screw ?"

I will buy a metric hex-wrench and give it a try.

There is also a sliver-colored cap, on the right side of the knob (just visible in the photo above). If you take it off, a screw is found. In my case, the screw does not tighten when turned. Perhaps the threads are worn out, and I need a new part.

Greg Lockrey
3-Jul-2007, 06:28
"...have you tried tightening the set-screw ?"

I will buy a metric hex-wrench and give it a try.

There is also a sliver-colored cap, on the right side of the knob (just visible in the photo above). If you take it off, a screw is found. In my case, the screw does not tighten when turned. Perhaps the threads are worn out, and I need a new part.

That screw merely holds the knob onto the shaft. You do need to make sure that the set screw is firmly set. The first time mine came loose, it scared me too. :)

Ken Lee
3-Jul-2007, 08:46
Clarification: Is the set-screw the very small hexagonal item which sits in the middle of the knob - or is the set-screw the one which is covered by the silver cap ?

Ron Marshall
3-Jul-2007, 09:05
The set-screw is the small hex-head screw perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the knob.

Ken Lee
3-Jul-2007, 09:24
Thanks !!

I will take this piece to the hardware store and get a metric hex wrench that will fit it.

Uusilehto
3-Jul-2007, 11:25
That's what I like about Sinar. Everything is metric (cable release, screws, etc.). No imperial entanglements.

Ken Lee
3-Jul-2007, 14:13
Eureka !

All that was required, was to tighten the set screw. A million thanks !

Bob Gentile
4-Jul-2007, 18:29
Don'cha just love a simple solution! Glad to hear it was just the set screw.

Ken Lee
2-Oct-2007, 19:42
The knob has come loose again, but now it no longer responds to tightening.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Marshall
2-Oct-2007, 19:56
The knob has come loose again, but now it no longer responds to tightening.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Take out the set-screw and remove the knob. Observe the extent of the damage to both the set-screw and the knob shaft. You may require a new set screw, or you may have to machine the shaft so that the set screw will hold it securely, as the shaft may be rounded at the point where the set-screw contacts it.

Good luck!

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 19:59
You may have stripped the threads. You need to resize the hole to the next size and retap it and use the next size set screw. Using an English size won't hurt at this point, you just have to have that size wrench handy too. Since the knob it plastic, use a slow turning drill to resize your hole, you don't want to burn the plastic while you're making the new hole. Remember too that taps have certian size drill bits to match. Most good hardware stores can help you get the right tap and drill.

Ken Lee
14-Oct-2007, 08:59
“All of life’s problems can be solved with two things: Duct Tape and WD-40.
If it moves and it shouldn’t, you need Duct Tape.
If it doesn’t move and it should, you need WD-40."

There was nothing wrong with the camera itself: the screws, the threads, etc. Over the decades, some gunk had gotten into the mechanism, making it stiff. Mindful of the universal principal cited above, I blew in a little WD-40, and the problem is solved.

How could I have been so forgetful of Natural Law ? - and so doubting of Sinar quality ? Blame it on the photo chemicals.

David Karp
14-Oct-2007, 09:13
You might consider cleaning off the WD40 and replacing it with some spray dry lube, which you can find at the local hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes. WD40 is petroleum based and you may find gunk collecting where you sprayed it. The dry lube will not hold on to the dust like any of the petroleum based lubricants.

I used some on the movement gears and tracks of my old Improved Seneca View. It worked great. Sorry, I can't remember the brand, but I found it at one of the home improvement stores.

Peter Lewin
14-Oct-2007, 11:05
You might consider cleaning off the WD40 and replacing it with some spray dry lube, which you can find at the local hardware store, Home Depot, or Lowes. WD40 is petroleum based and you may find gunk collecting where you sprayed it. The dry lube will not hold on to the dust like any of the petroleum based lubricants.
I second David's comments on WD40. Those of us who are bicyclists in addition to LF photographers use chain lube (which is a dry lube, White Lightning is a highly recommended brand) for the same reasons David mentions. I use the "drip bottle" of White Lightning rather than the spray, since I think I get better control, but that's personal choice. Any of the common chain lubes should do the trick, and one small bottle will last a lifetime of photo use. (Incidentally, I just started playing with a 70-yr-old Zeiss Super Ikonta folder that belonged to my father; the rangefinder linkage was extremely stiff, a couple of drops of White Lightning behind the focus knob, and it works good as new...)

Ken Lee
14-Oct-2007, 15:47
Excellent. I will give it a try.

Frank Petronio
14-Oct-2007, 17:59
Bob Watkins at http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/ used to work for Sinar and knows them well, he fixes them (as well as Arcas) all the time.

Ken Lee
16-Mar-2008, 14:39
I want to get some of that White Lightning lubricant, because the problem keeps appearing. The camera is probably from the 1970's or 80's, so happy to give it a little TLC.

According to the White Lightning web site (http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm), there are several different kinds drip bottle formulas: Clean Ride, Epic, and Wet Ride.

Which one do you recommend ?

Jeffrey Sipress
16-Mar-2008, 17:40
Ken, keep it simple. Just take the knob and the camera to a local machine shop and talk to a machinist there. That's what I do for a living, and I've fixed thousands of typical problems. A good machinist will find the problem, and provide a solution that is usually better than the original mechanism. Too bad I'm not closer to you. I recently repaired a couple of well dented LF lenses for a forum member and they looked like new when I was done.

Jeffrey, in California.

Ken Lee
16-Mar-2008, 18:22
Thanks Jeffrey - I'll keep your suggestion on the back burner - but the core problem is that many of the gears are stiff, and slowly getting stiffer over time. Enough to challenge the strength of the fasteners that were once adequate. So I'll try the lubricant first - whichever one you guys recommend.

Kirk Gittings
16-Mar-2008, 18:41
I want to get some of that White Lightning lubricant, because the problem keeps appearing. The camera is probably from the 1970's or 80's, so happy to give it a little TLC.

According to the White Lightning web site (http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/index.htm), there are several different kinds drip bottle formulas: Clean Ride, Epic, and Wet Ride.

Which one do you recommend ?

Clean Ride

Ken Lee
16-Mar-2008, 18:58
Terrific - THANKS !

Ken Lee
21-Jun-2008, 11:45
I have tried the White Lightning lubricant, but it doesn't seem to work on other parts of the camera, such as the gears for vertical rise. In fact, it seems to have the rear standard rise mechanism, more stiff than before.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ?

Bob Salomon
21-Jun-2008, 12:00
I have tried the White Lightning lubricant, but it doesn't seem to work on other parts of the camera, such as the gears for vertical rise. In fact, it seems to have the rear standard rise mechanism, more stiff than before.

Can anyone recommend an alternative ?

E P Levine should be able to solve your problem. Have you asked them?

Ken Lee
21-Jun-2008, 13:59
I will give them a call. Thanks Bob !

Peter De Smidt
21-Jun-2008, 17:38
Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works. http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/ He overhauled my Sinar P to great effect for a reasonable amount.

Ken Lee
21-Jun-2008, 18:20
I will try him too - Thanks !

Bob McCarthy
30-Jan-2010, 13:14
Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works. http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/ He overhauled my Sinar P to great effect for a reasonable amount.

Peter,

Can you describe the scope of the work and his cost to do so.

bob