PDA

View Full Version : Light leaks with Polaroid 545i and Fuji Quickloads.

Rider
1-Jul-2007, 16:34
The last few shots I did with a Polaroid 545i holder had varying degrees of light leaks. In the shots with the least leaking, it was confined to the left area of the chrome.

A visible inspection of the 545i holder did not reveal anything unusual.

What are the possible causes of this? The holder, the quickload packet itself or my technique? Does the leaking usually happen during the exposure, or when I am pulling the packet out?

In the last shot I did, I had the darkcloth over the camera back while I was pulling the film out, and during the exposure; that (seems to have) helped a little, but did not cure the problem.

davidb
1-Jul-2007, 16:41
I am using the fuji holder with fuji film. No problems.

Read this. (http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/Large%20accessories.htm#Readysteady)

roteague
1-Jul-2007, 17:17
I've use the Polaroid 545i successfully in the past with Fuji QuickLoads, although now I use the Fuji holder. I would suspect the holder.

Michael Jones
1-Jul-2007, 17:31
I've use the Polaroid 545i successfully in the past with Fuji QuickLoads, although now I use the Fuji holder. I would suspect the holder.

Great question as I am considering using P/N 55 after a 10 year hiatus. In the past, I used a Kodak ready load holder to expose the P/N 55 because of leaks and flatness (and I didn't really want to develop them in the field anyway, plus the ready load holder was lighter). Any such concerns today? Can you use Ready load or the Quickload films safely in the Polaroid 545i (and vice versa) or is there a "safer" light free method for these and the P/N 55? (I'm not trying to hijack, just expand).Thanks.

mike

roteague
1-Jul-2007, 23:49
Sorry Mike. I really don't know, I haven't used anything but Fuji QuickLoads in the Fuji QuickLoad holder in years. I did use Ektachrome VS in the Polaroid holder when the film first came out, and had no problems with it.

The link that David provides above has some pretty good thoughts on the subject.

Armin Seeholzer
2-Jul-2007, 00:44
Hi Rider
I had also some problems with the Pola Holder in the past, but its almost if the camera back has not so much tension anymore to hold the holder in place even during the output process!!
My 2 cents, but I also swiched to original ready and quickload holders!

Rider
6-Jul-2007, 06:23
I've figured out the problem: the bag bellows leaks. There are no visible holes, but a flashlight will shine right through a number of large spots on one side of the bellows. Unfortunately, this is a hard-to-replace Wisner bag bellow, and I have a vacation coming up. Any ideas on how to fix?