PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 for everything

mike wilcox
2-Jul-1998, 22:28
hi. i am going to buy a 4x5 for architecturals, interiors, and probablysome port raits and landscapes. considering a sinar f-2, the metal canham-like the simple look,the cambo sf, or maybe an arca swiss. would appreciate all comments neg. or pos. would like to keep it under 5k for camera 2-3 lenses and accessories.

Ellis Vener
13-Jul-1998, 00:25
The Arca Swiss F-Line is my choice for a do everything LF camera. If you haven't worked with LF before also get the Brainbox accessory, it calculates f/stop nee ded for any given DoF, as well as tilt & swing angles. I like it over the Sinar F2 for the way it handles, builtin fresnel, "rise in the focal plane" design, an d general ergonomics. The F-C is the model with the folding rail, if you don't n eed that feature get the standard F-Line model. There is even a version now with geared movements. The Canham DLC is also a very nice camera, it's strongest poi nts are weight and folded size and bellow design: no w/a bellows or recessed le nsboard needed. I am not wild about the bullseye levels and their placement, but no camera is perfect (although the Arca is very close.) if you are doing any st ill life, tabletop, or product work the DLC is not the camera for you, you can d o it but there are easier ways to go about it. Good shooting, Ellis

Close second would be the Canham DLC.

Sean Donnelly
19-Jul-1998, 18:43
If you need field portability, be sure to look at the Linhof Technikardan 45 and Arca-Swiss F-line.

I have a TK 45 and find it to be compact, versatile, durable, and to have nice c ontrols. The gentleman who sold me mine replaced it with a Canham DLC, and says he made a big mistake -- the DLC is not nearly as rigid as the TK 45.

If you don't need to backpack with the camera, check out Sinar. They are vastly more rigid than any field camera, and have unique DOF-calculating features that appear to be very useful.