PDA

View Full Version : Getting Excited!!

Pages : [1] 2

Ash
1-Jul-2007, 08:43
I'm nearly there!

If I max out my overdraft, I officially have enough money to buy a RazzleDog 900! :D :D

I've been in contact with Dean for a few months now and he has been more than helpful with everything.

So, the money should be transferred this week, and then camera will be mine in the next month or so once it has been manufactured and sent.

Who else here uses a polaroid conversion?
Any tips and tricks I need to watch out for?

Any pics of your own, or taken with your own?

Also, how do you manage to cock and fire the shutter whilst handholding?

Basically any info that I might need to know in preparation for its arrival would be great!

Now I need to start saving for customs/import duties when it arrives!

gari beet
1-Jul-2007, 11:37
Hi Ash, what cost was the camera in UK£? I have been looking at the 617 conversion for a while, just need to make that leap as per yourself! actually if I sell all my unused 5x4s I would probably get away with it!!!

Cheers
Gari

Ash
1-Jul-2007, 11:48
More than I'd like! No, it was a fair price. You'll have to ask Dean for a specific quote, as it fluctuates with what you would like.

I'm paying a little over what somebody sold their Razzle on here for last month.

Eric James
1-Jul-2007, 11:54
Not to burst your bubble Ash, but I read recently where Agent Oakwood with the International Dealings In Overseas Trade Authority raided the RazzleDog plant and confiscated their converter tool - it's a very sad development, seeing how excited you are (were):D

Seriously though, you're setting yourself up to make some great images on the fly – have at it!

Colin Graham
1-Jul-2007, 12:10
Lol Eric. Did Agent Oakwood use his much feared Verbal Discombobulator in the raid?

Ash
1-Jul-2007, 12:25
I was 'fraid that Razzamatazz may have been compromised, but my response emails were surprisingly short! :D :D

Lee Hamiel
1-Jul-2007, 14:19
Good Luck & Have Fun

Ash
2-Jul-2007, 10:56

I sent the money in full this afternoon. I'm officially dirt broke!

Within a couple months I should hopefully be quick-shooting 4x5 :D

David Young
2-Jul-2007, 11:11
Gratz Ash..... I've been shooting with my Razzle for almost a year now and it's a pleasure each and every time. PERFECTLY focused and calibrated, and having rented a competitor once it's more than a better bang for the buck (I'm sure much to the dismay of a well known critic).

Make sure and show us some results!!!
D.

Ash
2-Jul-2007, 11:23
I'll be blogging and showing as many photo's as I can take so soon as the camera arrives. Right now all my photo's are on 35mm and 120. I can't wait to take some 4x5 portraits on the fly :)

Gene McCluney
2-Jul-2007, 11:50
4x5 portraits on the fly.... Now there is a statement! How do you figure you are going to shoot lots of portraits? Do you have several grafmatic holders? Or are you going to carry around a couple dozen double-dark slides?

Ash
2-Jul-2007, 11:57
I won't be shooting lots of the same subject.

Probably the next step up from how I shoot at the moment.

I usually have the Leica M2 (previously a Contax-II), and the Rolleicord III. I shoot a lot of photo's with the M2, and save the Rollei for the more important shots that I want. So I may get 60-90 35mm shots, and 20-odd on 120. So I'm guessing maybe limit to 10 shots on LF if I'm using DDS.

I'm not yet sure about grafmatic holders, but its an idea.

I'm more worried about making sure I have enough opportunities to take the portraits. I'm running out of models/friends that live local and will pose for me!

I guess also this means I'll need to shell out for grafmatics, and all the film I'll burn up, so a yankee tank too! :eek:

Robert Hughes
2-Jul-2007, 12:36
I'm more worried about making sure I have enough opportunities to take the portraits. I'm running out of models/friends that live local and will pose for me!

Maybe if you didn't get so excited when they modeled for you...

Ash
2-Jul-2007, 12:40
Maybe if you didn't get so excited when they modeled for you...

I can't help it.... :D :D

Well, click my blog for photo's of Portobello Road in London (Saturday, 35mm shots) - the girls are stunning, but unfortunately I stared too long and most of them dodged my camera!!!

....That, and most of the girls in this town are my ex's :eek:

Randy H
2-Jul-2007, 15:07
....That, and most of the girls in this town are my ex's :eek:

All both of them.

Ash
2-Jul-2007, 15:28
Both? lol Randy

On my myspace I have sasha, amy b, laura, abi... that's 4 at least.. besides shots of other ex's like MJ, Vicki etc aren't quite family-friendly. ;)

Ash
4-Jul-2007, 15:28
:D :D

The money arrived safe and sound! Dean tells me work should start on my new camera this weekend, so I'll be looking in the post box every day for the next 8 weeks no doubt :eek: :D

Macy
4-Jul-2007, 16:08
Ash - you've really piqued my curiosity!! I can feel your excitement bouncing down the web. Please enlighten me...what is this you bought?? Some handholdable 4x5??:)

Ash
5-Jul-2007, 06:44
Macy, google RazzleDog :)

Nick Wood
6-Jul-2007, 08:06
...I sent the money in full this afternoon. I'm officially dirt broke!

Remember you sent me the following email on 9th April re. buying my Zone VI timer -

"I'll get back to you once I have some cash if that's ok? I definitely want it though!"

Nice to see you're a man of your word!

ENJOY

Ash
6-Jul-2007, 11:13
Nick, I emailed you twice about the timer, with no response (last email dated April 26th).

I actually have the money still put aside for it, but your not bothering to reply led me to believe you no longer wanted to sell it.

HAVE A GOOD DAY.

Dean Jones
6-Jul-2007, 17:57
Well Ash, just to get you more excited, I have posted episode 1 of the birth of your camera.

As work progresses, I'll continue with more episodes until the camera is completed.

Episode one.....after removing the rangefinder assembly and top plate, mount the camera securely in the saw and cut the end section off at an angle of 25 degrees from the vertical. This reduces weight by 100g and size of the body by an inch and a half.
*Please note the blade is designed for cutting Aluminium!

Now you can get excited one step at a time, instead of all at once. :)

Ash
6-Jul-2007, 17:59
I'm a little worried that you had the circular saw attacking my camera AND still had a free hand to take the photo!! :D :D

Dean Jones
6-Jul-2007, 18:24
No problem, I have three hands........ :p

The outcome of Episode 1.

Ash
6-Jul-2007, 18:27
I can't wait. I just hope that jumping back and forth with progress reports won't in turn be lengthening the waiting period! Man, am I impatient! :D

BrianShaw
6-Jul-2007, 18:31
If you think this is tough... just wait until it gets shipped and you're waiting for the mailman (or whatever you call them in the UK) every day!

Colin Graham
6-Jul-2007, 18:32
How cool is that! Always wanted to take a chop saw to something expensive. :-D

Toyon
6-Jul-2007, 19:25
What the F** is a razzledog 900 Ash?

bartf
7-Jul-2007, 12:06
Don't forget about my camera, Dean :D

I'm excited too!

David Young
8-Jul-2007, 14:00
Hey Dean...
After reading up on the steps taken to create a Razzle (included on a CD sent with the camera) I've been interested in seeing the photo-documentary of the birth. Hope you keep up the trend in this thread. I think it'll also up the interest in a wonderful piece of equipment.
D.

David Young
8-Jul-2007, 14:03
I'm excited too!

Hell.... I'm excited and I've already owned mine for almost a year!!!

Bart... noticed from your website that you're in the 650 area code. I'm down in Sunnyvale. If you've never seen a Razzle in real life and want to see what's coming, drop me a line!

D.

Dean Jones
8-Jul-2007, 16:32
Don't worry Bart, your camera is almost done!

Episode 2 goes like this. The 900 bellows has an odd front plate to match up to the 'Electric Eye' shutter assembly, as this is discarded (I'll explain how to remove that later) Either bellows from a 110A/B need to be used or the front plate drilled out to 40mm. I made a jig that has four pins to locate the bellows and prevent them spinning, along with a brass bush to keep the pilot drill centralised. Bellows are removed by undoing the four screws in the front standard. Gentle prying with wide bladed screwdriver will release them from the body. Straighten the rails if they become a little distorted, before refitting them with polyurethane adhesive later. :)

Cheers.

Dean Jones
9-Jul-2007, 02:42
Still in the preliminaries, we arrive at Episode 3. Ashley requested a change in covering from 'ghost grey', (the original unimaginative colour Polaroid used back in 1960), to a colour that will reflect his stylish wardrobe, so it has to be replaced. A heat gun is the best way to do this, but go easy....the old skin is needed as a pattern. Once removed, apply a little heat then press it flat using a suitable weight, then you can trace the exact shape on the new covering. ;)

Ash
9-Jul-2007, 03:48
MMMmmm... That black should look good.

It's a pity though - I was going to send you some dark hand-tanned goatskin I was given once. It would have looked great!

Dean Jones
9-Jul-2007, 15:38
OK Ash....ship it over! I haven't stuck the black as yet. Does goatskin reflect the theme of your wardrobe? :D

Cheers, Dean.

Ash
9-Jul-2007, 15:49
Not in the slightest Dean! :D

I doubt there's enough for the Razzle, it's a small sheet - maybe next time :)

Dean Jones
11-Jul-2007, 02:19
I had already prepared well for the excitement and fabricated a few front standards. Only one assembly is required for Ashley's camera, so it's polished and ready to install on the bed. This unit has click stops to allow for the zero position that's required when using the range finder focus. As lockable movements are not feasible on a 110B, this is a decided advantage of the 900. :)

Dean Jones
11-Jul-2007, 02:58
The outcome of Episode 4 is a new front standard fitted in place of the old 'Electric Eye' and capable of lockable movements. Not like those found on a view camera, but it does allow one to be a little adventurous with selective focus. For this we will need a ground glass screen, so that will be Episode 5.

Ash
11-Jul-2007, 03:27
It's all coming together now! :D :D

IanG
11-Jul-2007, 11:42
Hey Ash, it's great to see a craftsman at work. It also makes a change to see good honest workmanship and honesty, with no bull-shit :-)

Maybe if I sell a few of my 5x4 cameras I can buy one of Deans excellent Polaroid conversions.

Ian

Ash
11-Jul-2007, 11:44
Ian, I'll be sure to post a detailed account of my thoughts when I get to use the camera :)

IanG
11-Jul-2007, 13:37
If you get it soon Ash, can I drop by and see it, I'll be passing Swindon on my way to my sisters :-) 5 0r 6 weeks time !

You know compared to a Ripoffman (patented) you'll recover your costs in much less than a week :-)

Good luck and great shoting . . . . .

Ian

Ash
11-Jul-2007, 13:48
Recover the costs? Heh, not without a job I won't :D

We'll see - if it's here when you're passing through then you're welcome to rough-it and come to swindon for a visit.

Dean Jones
13-Jul-2007, 02:57
As Ash will need a ground glass screen to aid composition when experimenting with movements, focusing on subjects outside the realm of the rangefinder, or having a method of checking the finder's accuracy from time to time, the answer is a simple slip in screen that is merely a reworked double dark holder included with the filmback to make life easier. ;)

Ash
13-Jul-2007, 03:35
Cool :)

GhoSStrider
13-Jul-2007, 05:50
As Ash will need a ground glass screen to aid composition when experimenting with movements, focusing on subjects outside the realm of the rangefinder, or having a method of checking the finder's accuracy from time to time, the answer is a simple slip in screen that is merely a reworked double dark holder included with the filmback to make life easier. ;)

Dean,

What a simple, elegant way to add GG focusing when needed! Too cool!

Chris

David Young
14-Jul-2007, 09:38
The outcome of Episode 4 is a new front standard fitted in place of the old 'Electric Eye' and capable of lockable movements. Not like those found on a view camera, but it does allow one to be a little adventurous with selective focus. For this we will need a ground glass screen, so that will be Episode 5.

Wow..... some movements.... do I see another Razzle in my future???

Dean, I actually have an old 850 Electric Eye...complete with WinkLight.... Hmmm.... wonder how well that WinkLight would work on my razzle?? Handheld 4x5 rangefinder with a flash?? how convertable might that 850 be (or could you use it for spare parts or something).

D.

domenico Foschi
14-Jul-2007, 10:42
Dean, you are a genius, Ash you have my envy....

Dean Jones
14-Jul-2007, 17:41
Dean, you are a genius, Ash you have my envy....

After looking at your website Domenico....I believe it is you that is the genius! ;)

Episode 6 is the attachment of the Razzlok (shown with the slip in ground glass screen inserted) to the 900 body shell. The bellows frame is removed thereby allowing a larger surface area, this insures a strong bond of the two surfaces. Two 30mm screws are fitted from the front also. My 'Research and Development' team have tested and certified the adhesive used. :D

Ash
15-Jul-2007, 05:52
:D

It's starting to look like a Razzle. I can't wait to see the next few stages before it's ready for use!

Pete Watkins
15-Jul-2007, 06:28
Ash, You're gonna have to get used to indoor photography. The weather's crap and it's St. Swithins day so you know what that means. Enjoy it anyway.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Ash
15-Jul-2007, 07:22
I know Pete, I hope the shutter has an X-sync to connect to the studio lights! :(

Pete Watkins
15-Jul-2007, 07:36
Oh my gawd, studio lights! I thought you were skint.
Pete.

Donald Qualls
15-Jul-2007, 07:42
Oh my gawd, studio lights! I thought you were skint.
Pete.

And now you know *why* he's skint. :rolleyes:

Ash
15-Jul-2007, 09:14
In fact the studio lights are cheap ones from a Jessops kit. They belong to my mother that she bought last year after a nice bonus at her last job. She's into her photography also, and had wanted some nice kit for a long time.

Of course having a full time job, Ehlers Danlos and 30~40 operations on her upper body (including two elbow replacements and shoulder brackets and pins) that leaves me as the only person in the family with the interest in photography and the physical ability to use the gear.

When I have a job (I'm unemployed now for the first time in 2 months, hah) all my own money is cut between paying back my overdraft for things like cameras, and surprising the girlfriend by buying something for her :D

Dean Jones
15-Jul-2007, 16:05
Well Ash...I have the answer, my set up is quite simple: I use a radio trigger fitted to the Cadillac's shoe and connected to the shutter via a cable. It has a test button as well as the ability to fire two receivers at a considerable distance, even if you're in the next room! Just make sure the shutter is set to 'X'
Fitted to a single pin flash unit, I run my Flashball on a stand or better yet an adjustable boom.
I can fire two heads similtaneously with excellent results. Check out the group shot of the Sunwrae Ensemble on my website.....

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Sunwrae/sunwrae.html

I shot this with one Flashball high on a boom in very low light conditions. The RF-04 trigger and PT-04 can be bought on you know where for a few bucks and a single pin flash head can be bought for peanuts. The ball simply pushes over the head and makes a perfect diffuser. You can also get receivers that fire studio strobes, fitted with a phone plug.

I have plenty of spare balls................:D

Cheers.

Ash
15-Jul-2007, 17:02
Dean, I was planning on doing something along those lines - using the accessory shoe for the flash-ness...

I'm a little worried about getting the cable caught around my focusing hand, so I'm sure there is a knack to learn :)

I look forward to seeing mine when the next episode is ready!

Dean Jones
15-Jul-2007, 19:30
I'm a little worried about getting the cable caught around my focusing hand, so I'm sure there is a knack to learn :)

The cable is well away from your hand....I have used this system for a couple of hours at a time without any worry of getting tangled. I actually prefer this system to my Canon ST-E2 trigger as it's infra red and must be in line of sight or rely on a reflection of the signal. :)

Ash
19-Jul-2007, 04:24
Dean, that's good to know :)

Having taken another look at the photo, the cable does look fairly out of the way.

Dean Jones
19-Jul-2007, 15:26
Episode 7 is the new look black leatherette......gives the camera a definite lift. :)
Episode 8 will see the range finder refitted, along with a new cam profile to suit the 150mm lens.

Ash
19-Jul-2007, 15:47
Wow that looks really nice with the black! :D

bartf
19-Jul-2007, 15:49
I think I'll schedule a day off for when mine arrives..

dazedgonebye
20-Jul-2007, 08:39
What lens did this one end up with?

Dean Jones
20-Jul-2007, 15:49
What lens did this one end up with?

We haven't got that far yet.... Might be episode 10 ;)

I think it's going to be a Fujinon 150mm f5.6

Dean.

Ash
21-Jul-2007, 07:05
Dean, 150/5,6 sounds good to me :D :D

I really am getting more excited by the day/week. Considering your speed of manufacture, maybe it will be finished around about my birthday?! (second week of august)

Looking forward to the next few episodes!

domenico Foschi
21-Jul-2007, 13:09
Ash, your enthusiasm is infectious.
I would love to see your face when you'll find the box outside your door.

Ash
22-Jul-2007, 09:18
Domenico, I'm quite sure it wouldn't be a pretty sight! :)

Ash
23-Jul-2007, 07:31
I'm pretty sure I had a dream the other night where I was using this camera... not even 3 weeks into the manufacture and the wait has become truly unbearable! :)

Dean Jones
23-Jul-2007, 15:37
Here we have the rangefinder assembly fitted and ready for fine tuning...

1. This is the parallax brightline frame mask. It moves down as you focus closer. This assures parallax compensation by making you lift the lens.
2. The cam....this controls the swing mirror. Its profile must be reground to suit the lens used.
3. The swing mirror...it directs the split image and must remain in perfect unison with the lens board when focusing. It has adjusting screws to allow fine tuning of the vertical as well as horizontal alignment.
4. The Razzlok 4x5 back with spring tensioned adjustable lockers.
5.The main viewfinder window.
6. Ash's camera has been recovered in 100% genuine leather! :D

Ash
23-Jul-2007, 16:08
:) mmm.... real Leather!

The camera really is looking good now. Once the top plate is back on (if you manage to etch "Ash" on there somewhere I won't complain! :D ) and the lens is in, we're close to having a complete set-up!

Ash
23-Jul-2007, 16:11
I haven't been called Asher for years either, love it! :D

I remember somewhere you mentioned about a 180mm on a Razzle. I'll see how I get on with this one, maybe in the coming year or so I might want a 180 version too (with the Goerz Dagor in a Copal1) that is, if I can afford it, and it's possible!!

bartf
24-Jul-2007, 10:17
Arg, why do you tempt me like this?

I was just looking at 180mm lenses for my other 4x5...

Ash
24-Jul-2007, 10:28
I think it's more because 150mm is on the wide side of things, and I prefer normal/long lenses for all the portrait and street shooting kinda stuff. That, and I'd love to have the Dagor in frequent use. Rather leave it in a drawer unused, I mounted the cells inside the Polaroid press shutter (on the Korona View), but it sees fair amount of disuse. I REALLY hope Razzle's will be a reason to get me shooting more large format alongside small format.

There's no guarantee Dean can provide 180mm yet though.

Dean Jones
29-Jul-2007, 16:34
Episode 9 sees the multi coated Fujinon 150mm f5.6 lens mounted to the new lensboard.
A longer focal length isn't possible just yet as this falls outside the capabilty of the Polaroid body, however it may be possible when I complete the Razzlok extension back. :eek:

This would space the film plane further aft, but there may be a need to extend the viewfinder eyepiece also by using a device similar to a telescope barlow?

For the moment the bright 150mm remains a wonderful alternative. This lens will not fit into a 110B without unscrewing the front element each time the door is closed, somewhat annoying, however the 900 accommodates this big glass within its deeper door recess. You may note I have machined 2mm off the filter thread of the lens barrel, being careful not to go too far as this may expose the front element to contact with the bed when closed.

Stay tuned for episode 10.......;)

Ash
29-Jul-2007, 16:46
An extension back sounds an interesting concept!

I've been waiting all week to see the pic for Episode 9, I'm glad I stayed awake tonight :D

big_ben_blue
29-Jul-2007, 18:36
Oh my, oh my,... what have you guys done with putting up this thread ... dangling all this candy and uhmm "camera porn" in front of us ;) - I ended up with a Polaroid900 series camera myself from a visit to the fleahmarket yesterday. Hey Dean, looks like I am in need for one of your conversions now too (BTW, you got a PM from me).

Chris

bartf
29-Jul-2007, 21:18
Gah!

Soon, my pretty...

Gordon Flodders
1-Aug-2007, 16:27
:( Talk about getting excited, I feel positively depressed. After reading of the long winded description currently appearing on the you know what auction site, SO much bitching and whining therein, I could not describe it if I lived a hundred years.
Ash, you are fortunate to be happy at the prospect of your new 4x5.

Ash
1-Aug-2007, 16:31
Gordon, to be fair the vendetta you speak of is between two people, one of which isn't important to me. so long as I receive a fully functional and satisfactory camera, I don't care about the opinions of either man.

I put my money where my mouth is. :)

Gordon Flodders
1-Aug-2007, 17:13
Unfortunately the description includes details of what you have bought. A very inferior slapped together contraption without a hint of parallelism :eek: Quite degrading comments I would have thought?

Ash
1-Aug-2007, 17:23
I only see you seek to troll and demean this thread.

I refuse to let your comments taint or hinder my opinion or expectations. You have yet to provide any substance for your comments, and to be frank I don't care.

I have spent my money and I will enjoy the product regardless of your further participation in this thread.

Of course you are welcome to your opinion but any further unfounded and inflammatory criticism I will consider harassment or trolling and inform a Mod.

Gordon Moat
1-Aug-2007, 22:44
Well, there is a Polaroid Conversion (http://cgi.ebay.com/Polaroid-900-110B-Type-4X5-Conversion-All-4X5-Backs-Fit_W0QQitemZ140143162136QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) on EBAY currently, but I don't see anything in the description that seems derogatory. Perhaps Mr. Flodders is surprised that modifying an old Polaroid 900 is not something beyond the capabilities of more than one company/individual?

So how cool is all this? I am inspired by the construction photos. Since I have fabricated many special parts for roadracing motorcycles in the past, I don't see anything terribly complex. The combination of solutions creates a nice working piece, and I would imagine Ash will impress many when they him him using this very nicely done camera. Kudos to Dean for showing the construction. It is rare to see this much openness, and it should be lauded.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Gordon Flodders
2-Aug-2007, 00:24
Hello Gordon, I was referring to item 290145182336....plenty of derogatory comments here. :eek:

Gordon Flodders
2-Aug-2007, 01:03
[QUOTE=Ash;261451]I only see you seek to troll and demean this thread.

QUOTE]

My apologies Ash. This was not my opinion at all, quite the contrary. It is I who owns an Oakwood 45 that I wish to sell. I presume that comments in the description I read pertained to the camera you have purchased along with its maker. In due course I will probably purchase a Razzle 900 too.

I am sorry you misunderstood my meaning. :)

Ash
2-Aug-2007, 04:28
Mr Flodders please stop posting on this thread. I'm getting tired of your trolling.

Gordon Moat
2-Aug-2007, 09:55
Hello Gordon, I was referring to item 290145182336....plenty of derogatory comments here. :eek:

Yeah, that's pretty humorous. You do know that Littman was a fashion photographer prior to playing around with these cameras? He was not then, nor is he now, a machinist. That dial caliper bit was funny, but I suppose you have to blow smoke up someone's ass when you charge that much.

What I don't get is why he worries about lower cost Polaroid conversions. He has established his camera years ago amongst the wealthier photographers, and will attract those individuals. Someone interested in a Littman will not want a lower priced conversion. Someone interested in a Four Designs, Razzle, or other lower priced camera probably does not want to spend the amount of money that a Littman goes for, and will likely not be interested.

If someone had the money for a Leica, they might not be interested in a Voigtländer. However, despite name dropping, a Littman is certainly not a Linhof, despite his attempt at associating his camera with Linhof. Furthmore, it is not an ALPA, and falls short of being an Arca Swiss.

If any of these Polaroid conversion wanted to claim precision manufacture, then they would not be using any original Polaroid parts beyond the rangefinder mechanism. Until someone constructs there own hinged door, precision milled aluminium body, folding rangefinder, largely scrapping most of the old Polaroid elements, trying to make claims of precision will be looked upon poorly by anyone with even a miniscule understanding of precision.

That 290145182336 auction prose comes up like some used car salesman. If it was such a great design, and such a great camera, then why does he need to talk it up that much? Compare the Littman camera website to ALPA, then compare the prices. ALPA do not need many words to convince people of the quality of their cameras, because the quality is apparent. Littman fails to convey that quality in the camera, and needs volumes of prose to sell his cameras. Big difference.

Anyway, any camera is only as good as the person behind it. Many of us do enjoy owning and using really nice things, and a few of us can afford really really nice things. Seriously though, it's a f*(&ing camera . . . who cares . . . let's see what you can do with it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Ash
2-Aug-2007, 10:28
Gordon, I was so tired this morning that I couldn't be bothered to argue.

You made all the points I would have made, but in a more eloquent manner, bravo :)

Photomax
3-Aug-2007, 10:00
Good Lord, I just "read" that auction listing. Sounds like the guy is choking on his own theses. Who cares?

Ash, you have the one essential ingredient in this whole venter: great enthusiasm. I am sure you will get a kick out of owning and using this really interesting camera. In a way its great to see these old "Roids" live again, regardless of who made them.

Look forward to seeing some results...

Cheers,

Max

dazedgonebye
3-Aug-2007, 11:56
Amazing that no polaroid conversion can be discussed without "he who must not be named" becoming an issue.

I too am looking forward to the photographic results.

Ash
3-Aug-2007, 12:37
I think 7 pages of a thread was pretty good going before the trolling though ;)

I can't wait for Dean's next couple episodes. It can't be long until the polaroid is finished now!

Dean Jones
3-Aug-2007, 23:58
Episode 10 is around half way to completion of the camera. Don't worry Bart, your camera will be completed just ahead of Asher's, but I hope to ship them at the same time, just to avoid any tears......

I have also read the rhetoric... more than enough buffoonery there :p

The finder cover requires several mods: First the area on the left has to be cut away to allow a snug fit over the Razzlok adapter, next the other end is cut so as to align with that of the body. Finally an 8mm hole is drilled in such a position as to allow access to the finder's mirror. It's now a very simple procedure to adjust the mirror calibration, ensuring its relationship with the ground glass (film plane) remains. It also alleviates removal of the cover in the field to correct any discrepancy. A removable blanking grommet is fitted to the hole.

As for the Razzlok, thought I'd better make a few more than 200, so I don't run short. :D

Cheers.

Ash
4-Aug-2007, 05:08
Episode 10 is around half way to completion of the camera. Don't worry Bart, your camera will be completed just ahead of Asher's, but I hope to ship them at the same time, just to avoid any tears......

Halfway! :eek: So much more to go!! Can't wait!

The finder cover ... an 8mm hole is drilled in such a position as to allow access to the finder's mirror. It's now a very simple procedure to adjust the mirror calibration, ensuring its relationship with the ground glass (film plane) remains

Don't forget the instructions on how to fine-tune the RF in case it's jolted in transit ;)

As for the Razzlok, thought I'd better make a few more than 200, so I don't run short. :D

Hmmm.. I think you need to make some more, just in case, you know, if there's a sudden rush and you run out :D

Donald Qualls
4-Aug-2007, 18:18
Hmmm.. I think you need to make some more, just in case, you know, if there's a sudden rush and you run out :D

Might want to take a census of the remaining Polaroids suitable for conversion before making any more -- I think he has enough backs there to convert every remaining 3x4 roll film Polaroid in existence... :eek:

Robert Budding
6-Aug-2007, 04:01
Maybe I'm missing something - what's the advantage of a Razzle over a Crown Graphic?

Gene McCluney
6-Aug-2007, 04:27
Maybe I'm missing something - what's the advantage of a Razzle over a Crown Graphic?

The Razzle is smaller, lighter.

Matus Kalisky
6-Aug-2007, 06:50
Ash, you make me feel old. I am 27 and was/am getting very excited about my entry to LF (and MF afterwards) but you are running in a fairly larger circles ...

I wish you good luck and lot of enjoyment (beyond the current one) and hope to see some pictures from you soon.

BTW what about the backpack and the darkcloth. Do we make a deal or you have found some girlfriend in the meantime ? :D

Ash
6-Aug-2007, 09:44
Matus, thanks for your words :)

In fact the backpack went with the Calumet 45N when I sold it. Unfortunate as it was a well padded and comfy one!!

I'm also back with a girlfriend now too! We broke up then got back together after nearly a month apart. She's away for two weeks and still waiting on this Razzle - oh the hardship!!:(

;)

I'm keen to get some more photo's taken with 4x5 soon, but the opportunity has not come up recently.

big_ben_blue
6-Aug-2007, 11:37
Hey Ash, don't forget to post a thorough performance review once you receive your camera. I am entertaining the thought of getting my fleahmarket find converted into a Razzle if all the hype materializes:) . The view finder top cover is a wee bit different on my camera though. Dean would have to find a way of keeping the metal cover intact without butchering it - I love the Leica-on-Steroids look :D (see pic).

Robert Budding
7-Aug-2007, 04:23
It does look like a very nice camera . . . But I'll stick with my Crown Graphic.

Dean Jones
8-Aug-2007, 14:59
The view finder top cover is a wee bit different on my camera though. Dean would have to find a way of keeping the metal cover intact without butchering it

Thanks Ben.... but I try very hard not to 'butcher' anything! :p

Episode 11 sees the modified rear door section. Obviously the silly red switch needs to be removed, as it serves no useful purpose whatsoever. :D
The hole left by the removal of the switch needs to be filled....this is achieved by attaching a small aluminium plate with JB Industro Weld, a superb two part epoxy that withstands high temperatures and adheres well to metals. I also fill the four rivet holes with this product.
In the case of Ash's camera the, original covering has been replaced with black leather.
It will be fitted to the camera with the hinge pin and locked in place using two stainless screws and a brass plate. We are now over half way to completion.

Ash
8-Aug-2007, 15:19
Spangly :)

I wonder how many weeks are left? 3? 4? maybe more?

bartf
10-Aug-2007, 00:16

No worries, Good things are worth waiting for

:)

Dean Jones
11-Aug-2007, 20:40
Episode 12 sees the making of the 'smalls' :D
Shown here are the fiddly bits... the rear panel that attaches to the Razzlok with the four stainless steel springs, cup washers and brass lockers needed to apply even and adjustable tension against the film holder. There's a cable release socket that will be attached to the left side of the camera just under the viewfinder window and a tripod adapter, should you need to attach the camera to a support. Next, the stainless covers that shield the front bed pivot assemblies and finally, the flash shoe adapter...where I slot the radio trigger. (I hate on camera flash).

As the previous auction number has now been replaced by item 290149081295, something should be stated regarding the seemingly urgent need for 'parallelism'.
As per second pic, observers may note that my Razzlok adapter actually sits on the camera's rail and as it is precisely machined parallel, it could not be influenced by adhesive or any other situation that would see it lack 'parallelism'.
I think the whole issue has been grossly over emphasized. Contrary to belief, 'Mr Caliper' can often tell lies, :eek: especially if not held perpendicular to the item being measured, or used by a novice untrained in engineering basics.

A far more accurate method of determining 'parallelism' would be to place the camera's film plane or adapter, face down on a polished granite surface table and with the placement of an accurately ground spacer inserted onto the camera body where the bellows attaches. The height could now be compared at various points, using a height gauge (pic 3).

Now providing the lensboard is perpendicular to the film plane and you happen to be standing in a vertical position, perpendicular to the ground with the subject situated exactly vertical and perpendicular to the ground that YOU are actually standing on, go ahead and shoot wide open.....you can guarantee absolutely, there will be no fall off in sharpness from top to bottom or side to side will occur. :D

Think about all this very carefully, next time you shoot hand held, wide open, without a tripod on anything but level ground. :p

Ash
12-Aug-2007, 02:26
Dean, that's great to see all the annoying fiddly bits are coming along well too :D

I'm away next week so I look forward to another episode (or two?) when I return from France!

Uusilehto
12-Aug-2007, 06:07
There's something I've been wondering.

Since the film plane has to be moved away from the original film plane to achieve 4x5" coverage, how do you deal with the issue of lens placement?
The original rails and the rangefinder coupling arm mechanically restrict moving the lens carriage backwards to compensate for the film plane displacement. Also, I don't think there's enough room to move the lens board within the lens support/pivot mechanism and still retain the possibility of folding the camera.

This is giving me a headache. I'm sure there's a simple solution I can't think of.

Dean Jones
12-Aug-2007, 14:54
This is giving me a headache. I'm sure there's a simple solution I can't think of.

It's quite simple! A longer focal length of 150mm allows moving the film plane aft, without upsetting anything else. ;)

Cheers.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html

Uusilehto
13-Aug-2007, 04:53
It's quite simple! A longer focal length of 150mm allows moving the film plane aft, without upsetting anything else. ;)

Cheers.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/index.html

Yes, well, I suppose that's a solution.

But how on earth are you able to grind the microscopic cams to such precision? Do you have something like a cannibalized Polaroid turned into a grinder?

Dean Jones
13-Aug-2007, 14:52
Simple answer Lasse.....I made myself a concentric cam grinding jig ;)

Uusilehto
13-Aug-2007, 15:09
Simple answer Lasse.....I made myself a concentric cam grinding jig ;)

A block of aluminium with a peg? You sure you're not pulling my leg here? How's it work?

Dean Jones
13-Aug-2007, 20:39
How's it work?

Now that's a trade secret :p

Dean Jones
15-Aug-2007, 15:33
Episode 13 has the rangefinder cover now fitted. It's also been coated black to compliment the black leather.....Tamiya Color is the Japanese quality coating specially designed for plastics. The camera is nearing completion, but there's still a few fine points remaining. :)
I can't wait to fire the test shots out of this Razzle, The Fujinon W multi coated 150mm f5.6 should render perfect results. ;)

bartf
15-Aug-2007, 15:44
Wow, that is looking very sharp!

Ash
16-Aug-2007, 03:16
Awesome!

That looks better than I thought it could!! Can't wait :D

Did you etch/engrave "Razzle-Ash" on it anywhere? ;)

Rob_5419
16-Aug-2007, 03:40
Did you etch/engrave "Razzle-Ash" on it anywhere?

Nooooh! Don't do it!

The resale value will plummet!:p

GhoSStrider
16-Aug-2007, 07:12
That is a thing of absolute beauty. Stunning, Dean!

douglas antonio
16-Aug-2007, 07:19
dean,

will you post these test shots as well? this may be of some interest to people not knowing the quality of the final camera. people like me!
could you test shoot a close up portrait of someone?

thanks

doug

Brian Bullen
16-Aug-2007, 11:25
That camera is looking nice Dean. Ash, I can't wait to see some photos. I think they have a cream you can use when you get Razzle-Ash.

Ash
16-Aug-2007, 15:24
Rob, if/when I stop using it, it will no doubt go to my best friend. She can put up with my name on it ;)

I'll definitely upload my shots with it. I'm not sure Dean will have time to take specific test shots!

Rob_5419
16-Aug-2007, 16:08
Ash - if you had it named: "Razzle-FIRE" it would be cool! 'Razzle-Ash' sounds like
you've been playing with matches.

Must admit I don't like anyone's name on a camera. I've just been reading a book borrowed from someone I worked with. Turn the front cover to the first page and it says: "Property of James .X From Emma ......."

How wet. Nothing romantic in the book's content either.

Scott --
16-Aug-2007, 16:15
I think they have a cream you can use when you get Razzle-Ash.

Ha ha ha!!! :D

Ash
20-Aug-2007, 07:42
I went to the chemists, they said you need a prescription for the Razzle-Ash cream :D

Rob, I was only half-serious :)
By the way, you should waiting at your letterbox tomorrow or the next day ;)

Caracalla
25-Aug-2007, 12:07
Dean,

Is your Camera similar to what William Littman is Making? and could you explain in what respect it is different if at all. I was looking at his Cameras Models Vi, VII, well I don't know the difference of improvement he made but his price is through the roof as far as I am concerned :(

So far your Razzle looks good ;) but I don't have even close idea of how long is it going to take to make one if I order let's say 1st. of September.

Cheers

Ash
25-Aug-2007, 12:30
Caracalla....

Littman is one of many Polaroid modifiers. People were doing it before him, and people continue to do it even after threats of patent infringement. That's another story however. You can search these forums, APUG, or Pnet, and you will find long discussions on it. In fact I have an email with multiple threads if you'd like to pm me your email address?

The Razzle has a full 4x5 frame, parallax corrected, with rear ground glass, capable of using reducing backs (ie rollfilm) and graflok stuff. The difference is mainly in the construction, and the back. Dean's back is totally original in its design. I believe Littman uses other branded backs to attach.

It's all very complex. All I care about is my Razzle being complete and in my hands soon :)

Ole Tjugen
25-Aug-2007, 12:46
... You can search these forums, APUG, or Pnet, and you will find long discussions on it. ...

Long discussions, and even longer diatribes.

If you want to get a headache without the pleasure of getting drunk first, go ahead! :D

big_ben_blue
25-Aug-2007, 13:04
Ash - quick question for you as soon-to-be razzle owner: Did you have to supply the new lens for the camera or does Dean handle this aspect?

Chris

Ash
25-Aug-2007, 13:25
Ole, I was trying to be neutral :D

Chris, usually you can supply the lens so long as it's small enough to fit in the Polaroid shell, usually 150mm (or wider?). My Polaroid would have been a few weeks ahead of where it is, but I had Dean source the lens for me, and I paid him the extra for the lens :)

Pete Watkins
25-Aug-2007, 14:53
Hi Ash, It might help to know that when I recently bought a superb B&J 5x7 from sombody on this forum getting your donnies on it is not a quick process. If the miserable gits at HM Customs get their hands on it they hang about for a while (just to piss you off and display their superior status) then you will get a letter from Parcelforce who will demand CASH from you before you get to see your goodies. In my case I transferred the cash by Visa using a totally automated phone call and the parcel arrived next day as guaranteed. It's always worth the wait. Remember the scumbags charge VAT on postage and packing as well as the actual goods that you ordered.
Pete.

Rob_5419
25-Aug-2007, 15:41
It's not only spurned women who feel so awful - it's also photographers stung by British customs charges.

Ash - you're going to be broke if Mount Pleasant Customs get their hands on your Customs-Razzle. That is, if you're not already broke after paying for such an expensive camera!

Thanks for the plate photographic paper too. I'll see if I have any frozen 5x4" film you might use then when I'm back after hols.

Ash
25-Aug-2007, 17:43
Pete, that happened to me on the first thing I ever bought abroad - a Region 1 dvd box set :eek:

It then happened again about 7 months ago when my (now sold) Calumet 45N from Jim Galli arrived on this fine land.

Pete/Rob,
I'm estimating around £100 for customs and VAT, but I hope it's less as the camera is by all means "repaired" and some taxation *should* be waived :D

I'm in debt to the bank, so I hope to sell a kidney sometime after the camera is sent, before it arrives ;)

Rob,
That's very generous of you, I hope the paper is of use :)

Brian Bullen
25-Aug-2007, 18:45
Wow you guys across the pond have quite a few hands in your pocket, to bad it doesn't feel good.:eek:

Natasa Stojsic
25-Aug-2007, 22:08
If I decide to shoot film again, Customs-Razzle would be nice!

Price?
Delivery?

Rob_5419
25-Aug-2007, 23:15
Wow you guys across the pond have quite a few hands in your pocket, to bad it doesn't feel good.:eek:

You don't know??

http://www.finfacts.ie/costofliving.htm

London is the second most expensive city in the world to live in :eek:

And Customs & Excise don't help ;(

Recently our rag papers (tabloid) tell us that around 186,000 people leave the UK for other countries - for a better quality of living. And 576,000 people come to settle in the UK - as refugees and economic migrants, deliberately stirring up dissension.

It's about time the government got rid of the discrepancies here: a digital camera isn't liable to the same taxation rates as an imported whole plate camera. That makes it cheaper for wholesalers to import digicams at relatively knocked down prices compared to the living standards. Whereas traditional photography materials, such as film still commands the usual taxation rates.

Our government's policy has been pro-digital, as a result of this bizarre taxation policy :(

Dean Jones
26-Aug-2007, 00:27
Dean,
Is your Camera similar to what William Littman is Making? and could you explain in what respect it is different if at all. I was looking at his Cameras Models Vi, VII, well I don't know the difference of improvement he made but his price is through the roof as far as I am concerned :(

Well, the Littman is simply a combination of the 110B and a Horseman 4x5 back....whereas Ash's camera is a 900 fitted with a 4x5 Razzlok back of my own design. It also features a newly designed front standard to replace the old 'Electric Eye' abomination :D
The range finder fitted to the 110B and the 900 is identical, however the front door and bed assembly is completely different. The 110B has struts to support the front standard, whereas the 900 has a simple locking device to ensure the lensboard remain parallel to the film plane without any fuss. Since the inception of the Razzle, my goal has been to make a hand holdable 4x5 with an accurate range finder that is both affordable and reliable....without fancy names, outrageous claims or exhorbitant cost.

The 'Pink Cadillac' seems bound for fame in the US, so keep an eye out for that.

Ash, I'll have more episodes coming shortly, I have been occupied with digital infrared conversions for the past week or so.....however now I'm concentrating on finishing yours and Barts cameras.

Gordon Moat
26-Aug-2007, 11:12
Dean makes one of the most refined of conversions. I have enjoyed seeing the steps involved. There do seem to be several places doing this. I lost the Four Designs website link, though they have converted some of the 1960s Automatic pack film cameras. There is also Wolf Industries (http://www.wolfindustryconversions.com/id30.html).

There are one off conversions too, including this fun one using Lego parts (http://www.foundphotography.com/PhotoThoughts/archives/2005/09/polaroid_95a_12.html). A nicely done conversion (http://homepage.mac.com/markgutierrez/polaroid/polaroidsite/index.html) to pack film using fairly simple tools. Some with machine shop tools and experience create quite involved conversions; check out these images (http://www.photo.net/photos/Camera%20Conjurer).

Oh yeah . . . then there is that Littman conversion, for those with lots of money to burn. So all the way from do it yourself with Legos or hand tools, to having your own machine shop, or finding someone like Dean who is well practiced on doing conversions (as simple as ordering one made for you).

Anyway, this has been a fun thread. At some point in the near future, it might have some shots done by Ash using the camera. That would make a nice exclamation point.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Brian Bullen
26-Aug-2007, 12:07
Rob, thanks for the link. It looks like London is on the climb, up three spots from last year. Who knows maybe next year it will be in first. Something to shoot for I guess.

It's a shame the government is "pro-digital" and these cameras get a break on taxes. I'm not against digital per se but I don't think special rates should apply to one and not the other.

bartf
26-Aug-2007, 12:30
The Pink Cadillac was for sale?

Doh, If I'd known that I'd have bought it.

Well, It looks like I need to take measurements of this 120 Symmar-S I have so that I can possibly get a Blue Cookie Monster made.

Dean Jones
27-Aug-2007, 14:35
The Pink Cadillac was for sale?

Doh, If I'd known that I'd have bought it.

Well, It looks like I need to take measurements of this 120 Symmar-S I have so that I can possibly get a Blue Cookie Monster made.

Hi Bart....there's still time to replace the dull grey leatherette on your camera with that of nice blue? Would you prefer a light or dark blue 'Cookie Monster'?

I was made an offer for the Caddy that I couldn't refuse. Think I prefer purple. :D

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/

bartf
27-Aug-2007, 19:43
Hi Dean,

I'll take the louder blue please

Now if you'll excuse me I have some grafmatics to maintain.

Ash
2-Sep-2007, 10:18
How's it going Dean? :)

Dean Jones
2-Sep-2007, 16:47
Ash, your camera is very close to completion....I just had to manufacture a few more roll film back adapters and source Bart's blue bag. :D
The next episode will screen shortly........

Ash
2-Sep-2007, 16:54
Great news Dean :)

Dean Jones
3-Sep-2007, 14:53
Episode fourteen sees the fitting of a cable release socket to the left side of the camera body. This allows the right hand free to actuate the focus wheel. :)

Dean Jones
3-Sep-2007, 15:02
Now we have to secure the rear door section.....rather than have it swinging in the breeze, or occasionally held closed by a crude spring :eek:, I prefer to secure it with an internal brass plate and stainless screws.
Cheers.

Dean Jones
3-Sep-2007, 15:12
We are fast approaching the final hour! This episode shows the protective covers fitted over the front standard locking mechanisms after having holes drilled allowing access to the cap screws that attach the lens board assembly to the bed.
Refitting them gives a pleasant finish to the camera.....unlike some, I always find the time for pleasantries! :D

bartf
3-Sep-2007, 23:01
Now that's blue!

Dean Jones
4-Sep-2007, 15:27
Episode 17 has the standard flash shoe adapter fitted, along with the end plate covering the body where the cut was made at the outset of this venture. I use the simple Chinese made radio trigger easily available online....it attaches to the shoe and fires via a cable attached to the PC socket on the shutter. I can fire two or more flashes
simultaneously depending on how many receivers are used. ;)

This device works flawlessly, just remember to select X on the shutter if it has that option. The shutter will flash synch throughout the entire range of speeds.

For more info regarding the lightweight hand held full frame 4x5 Razzle camera with parallax corrected rangefinder, simply click here:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Polaroid/polaroid.html

Only Episodes 18 and 19 remain......Episode 20 should be left for Ash's conclusion. :eek:

Ash
4-Sep-2007, 16:12
Oh no.... Episode 20?!

I can't wait for this to arrive .... something tells me there'll be a delay when I can't afford the customs fees!!!! :eek:

Looks good in the pics though.... :D

Randy H
4-Sep-2007, 18:18
Razzle / MJ. Razzle / MJ.
Hmmmmm.
I can hear it now.
Big date on Saturday night... "But I thought you liked Mc Donalds Happy Meals"

Can't wait to see some of your pics with the Raz. And following this thread is making me think... "If I sell my 5X7's......."

Ash
5-Sep-2007, 09:34
Hey hey hey, there's room in my heart for a beautiful girl and a beautiful camera :D

Scott Davis
5-Sep-2007, 10:31
Ash- the question isn't if there's room in your heart.... the question is if there's room in your wallet. :D

Ash
5-Sep-2007, 10:40
Scott, with the void where I used to have money, there's space enough to turn my wallet upside down and use it as a tent :D

Ben R
5-Sep-2007, 10:52
If you want a loan mate...

The thing I most object to is paying them a tenner for processing fees on top of the charges on both the item and the postage!

Ash
5-Sep-2007, 10:59
Heh... my parents are going to hate me if I give another 'borrow some cash' speech.

I'll claim it's important for the Degree course!! :eek:

Ben R
5-Sep-2007, 14:11
All you have to do is make a calender featuring your present model holding your Razzle in appropriate poses and you will have every male LF photographer on this site buying one. Should make you enough money to pay those parent loans and then some, I'll even come down and do the lighting for you mate generous bloke that I am! :D:D

Ash
10-Sep-2007, 04:54
Think we'll have the last couple episodes this week Dean? :)

Dean Jones
12-Sep-2007, 05:27
The first four negs right out of the camera are drying as I speak....so tomorrow, after a quick scan, will be episode 18....the results. :eek:

Ash
12-Sep-2007, 05:31
Cool!! :D

bartf
12-Sep-2007, 20:00
Great news!

Dean Jones
13-Sep-2007, 02:47
I just scanned the four negs on my Epson 4780 flatbed. Now remember that it was a dull Melbourne day :o

1. I guessed the exposure.
2. I decided on f8, so DOF is quite shallow.
3. Film used is Chinese ERA B/W 4x5 sheet (which I quite like)
4. My old Epson 4870 is only a flatbed.
5. No Photoshop was used to enhance the results.
6. No tripod, just walk on up and shoot.
7.These shots are for rangefinder accuracy checking only, so excuse the composition.
8. Development was done in not so perfect ratio of Ilford HC whatever to one :eek:
9. Six minutes with slight agitation every minute if I remembered :p
10. Images shown here are only 72 dpi.

I am very happy with the results. Rangefinder appears quite accurate....
1. MFB Fire Engine just happened along, so I had to be quick.
2. Shoe shop staff wanted to know if I was from the Council? Focus point was the $50 sign.
3. Lincoln was parked in the Main Street....focus point was edge of the headlight adjacent to the grill.
4. This is an inset of image 1.
5. You'll find the scan of neg number 4 on my website, 'cause I ran out of room here.
6. Ash...I will send you the actual negs, so you know I ain't tellin' any porkies!

All images f8 @ 1/60th second, hand held. :)

I will try to feature slightly larger image files here:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Asher_s_900/asher_s_900.html

Matus Kalisky
13-Sep-2007, 04:54
Dean,

this thread has a very BAD influence on me as it makes want to own another camera :p . But - would it be possible to fit in such a camera a lens like Heliar 150/4.5?
I hope you keep doing this stuf for a long time. I will start to have only each second luch from now on and no desserts :D

Ash
13-Sep-2007, 06:38
Dean, don't worry about sending the test negs unless you insist :)

This is great news though. I can't wait to start shooting now!

Cool also that you used Era - now I know to trust it and will probably buy some boxes once I've repaid all the debt I'm in to obtain this beauty of a camera :D :D

bbjorkum
13-Sep-2007, 13:26
Ash is a very lucky man. I should know. I own a Razzle 900 too ...

Dean Jones
13-Sep-2007, 21:11
Episode 19 will appear shortly.....A surprise is in store for Bart.......:eek:

The correct link for Ash's camera that now has its own web page is:

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Ash_s_900/ash_s_900.html

bartf
13-Sep-2007, 21:45
I hope it's a good surprise!

Ash
14-Sep-2007, 04:49
Were we both getting a surprise? :D

Dean Jones
16-Sep-2007, 16:41
Episode 19 is finally here!....Blue Bart and Black Ash. Barts camera is very near completion with only a little finishing off and testing left to do. Bart wanted a bright blue camera and here it is.
I cannot help but mention the fact that someone has the concept of movements on a converted Polaroid wrong again. Apparently I must have perfect parallelism first, in order to have anything else and any such movements defeat the purpose for which the camera is designed...that of a 'snapshot' camera?

The front standard fitted to the 900 has clickstops to enable a zero position to be maintained when using the rangefinder to focus. It seems perfectly obvious to me that any deviation from this zero position would require focus and framing be performed using the ground glass screen. The movements of this camera do not purport to simulate those of a view camera and are primarily designed to allow a shift in the point of focus. I would consider the effect to those of a 'Lensbaby', but as usual some fellow has gone off on a tangent stating this feature is 'ridiculous' :eek:

The operation of the lensboard can be summed up like this......When using the camera normally as one would most of the time, the board is locked at zero with the aid of the click stops. To achieve swing and rise (rise is only possible when the camera is operated in the horizontal position) it can be positioned wherever most suitable, then locked in place. When attempting tilt in the vertical position the standard must be unclicked from its lockers and slid slightly aft. Tilt is then achieved, but is not lockable. if you look at the pics long enough (no dribbling please) it will soon become apparent.
No velcro is required in order to hold things together:p

Gordon Moat
16-Sep-2007, 18:25
Hello Dean,

I am not understanding how you are doing click stops for zero detents. Is there a ball bearing or some sort of indent accomplishing that? On my Shen-Hao HZX45A-II, the front tilt has cutout detents, though the swing is simply an alignment zero placement (no detents).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Dean Jones
16-Sep-2007, 19:55
Gordon, you are correct. The detents act as a guide, with a visual check to see the lensboard is correctly aligned with the baseplate, then by tightening the clamp, it's locked in place.....simple and without the need for any BS......:eek:

bartf
16-Sep-2007, 20:20
Perfect!

Gordon Moat
16-Sep-2007, 21:04
Thanks Dean. Nice to see the inner workings. I am much more impressed. Indeed . . . elegant simplicity.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Ash
17-Sep-2007, 01:51
Ohhhhh yes :D

bartf
17-Sep-2007, 11:40
Hmm, Now I'm thinking that I need a 110B redone for my 120mm Symmar in the future.

Maybe in yellow and black velvet like a bumble bee?

Dean Jones
17-Sep-2007, 14:24
The latest edition of MAGNAchrom magazine just hit town :eek:

http://www.magnachrom.com/MCHome.php

Bart's blue camera would have looked nice next to the Pink Caddy......

Dean Jones
19-Sep-2007, 02:28
I figured I'd better put up a test neg taken with Bart's Blue Razzle......
The four wheel drive Landcruiser complete with a great Australian message.

Well, the rangefinder appears to be quite accurate anyway.....:D

Ash
19-Sep-2007, 05:52
Only in Oz..... :D

bartf
19-Sep-2007, 07:32
Thank goodness for the Australian Slang Dictionary! I thought I had done something wrong for a bit.

http://www.mudcat.org/aussie/index.cfm?start_letter=N

Gary Johnson
19-Sep-2007, 23:28
Whoever said boys don't like foreplay should thread this thread?

Gary Johnson
20-Sep-2007, 11:24
I meant Whoever said boys don't like foreplay should read this thread?

Dean Jones
20-Sep-2007, 15:03
Whoever said boys don't like foreplay should thread this thread?

Don't worry Gary.....I guess you were just 'Getting Excited' too :D

Ash
20-Sep-2007, 15:09
Don't worry Gary.....I guess you were just 'Getting Excited' too :D

Keep your hands above the desk boys! :D

Mick Fagan
22-Sep-2007, 00:57
Ash, this afternoon I went and visited Dean, to ask and see about one of these cameras.

Well, after having a good look at your camera, and Dean's personal one, I decided that I would get one myself.

You should be in the seventh heaven over your camera.

Mick.

Ps:- Sometimes, just sometimes, living at the bottom of the world can be good:D

Ash
22-Sep-2007, 05:59
Hi Mick,

You lucky guy! You've seen my camera before I have :D

Which is Dean's personal one these days?

I've been going through my parts draw and found out all this time I've had a spare Sinar 4x5 back (Graflok style, with the removable GG), it possibly would have been perfect for the Razzle had I thought ahead :eek:

Ah well, if I enjoy this Razzle, maybe I'll have to buy another :D

bartf
23-Sep-2007, 22:14
Was episode 19 the last one?

Ash
23-Sep-2007, 22:45
I believe so.

I think Dean said earlier on that Episode 20 would be the camera in my (and your) hands. Considering that our cameras are being sent out at the same time I am under the assumption we're waiting on Dean to finish the final bits and pieces for yours and they'll be sent. :)

Ash
23-Sep-2007, 22:47
Episode 17 has the standard flash shoe adapter fitted............

Only Episodes 18 and 19 remain......Episode 20 should be left for Ash's conclusion. :eek:

There ya go :)

IanG
24-Sep-2007, 07:18
Ash, seems Dean is now producing the best Polaroid conversions around, great article about him in the current Magnachrome.

Good luck we look forward to seeing some images made with yours.

Ian

Ash
24-Sep-2007, 14:40
I saw the article :)

I hope to produce some images worth posting as soon as the camera is in my hands!

Ben R
24-Sep-2007, 15:22
That must be really annoying having someone else having seen and touched your camera before you!

I used to have this the whole time when I bought stuff from the states which my father brought back to the UK for me (he lectures in the US frequently). I didn't care so much with the digital gear but when he was emailing me about how cool my Tachi was and I'd yet to hold a field camera - ever - that was really annoying!

Dean Jones
24-Sep-2007, 20:17
But one stayed home :p That's right....tomorrow will see three of these little piggies flying out. One is off to California, one is off to Wiltshire and the third one is bound for Norway.

One little piggy is to stay in OZ, at least for a time. That little piggy is shown with a radio trigger fitted to the flash shoe. It began as a 900 but I removed the front door dress panel assembly. It is now fitted with a Symmar S 150mm f5.6.

Not long now Ash...I'll give you tracking details shortly, but now it's time to pack, so the next time you see your camera, it will be in your hands. :D

bartf
24-Sep-2007, 20:56
Great News!

Dean, Please note my shipping address is different from my home address in case you don't already know.

I hope this message is in time.

I've forwarded it via email.

Ash
24-Sep-2007, 23:33
:D :D :D

I woke up cold and miserable... and now I'm just plain cold!

I can't wait Dean!

Ben
This is very true. I had the same problem with a guitar once, I'm awfully possessive ;)

Matus Kalisky
25-Sep-2007, 01:43
Ash - I hope your duty is clear to you now. You get the camera, load it with some film, make a few good photos (at least two), get them scanned, resize them and ...
... UPLOAD THEM FOR THE BOOK PROJECT !!!!

:mad: :confused: :) :D

Ash
25-Sep-2007, 10:04
Matus, I doubt I'll have the time due to the deadline for the book :)

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 13:17
Hi Ash,
Just came across your thread about your new Razzle. I am a 2-year, 5-razzle (soon to be 6), user. There is still no better way to shoot 4x5 on the fly that I can find out there including our befuddled and antagonistic friend out there who makes something similar (with a red button on it!) and Dean's creativity continues to improve his latest concoctions!
You mentioned in the thread a couple of months back that you were looking for any advice. There really isn't too much since the Razzles do exactly what you expect them to do.
The single piece of advice for using these cameras is to PAY ABSOLUTE ATTENTION TO THE EXACT POINT OF FOCUS IN THE RANGEFINDER!-- I have shot thousands of rolls with my leica and a 35mm f2 and I have been accustomed to a little give in the focus/depth of field (even at f2), but focusing and then a slight waiver in your stance before shooting will hurt your success rate with these babies. Dean has these things dialed in to the micrometer, but the rangefinder can be deceiving and slightly gross in it's information-- I focus, then re-focus, then re-focus once again to make sure I am on.
If you have a 150mm there is no parallax to consider, but if you have a 90mm it will take some getting used to in the under 4ft range (kinda like trying to shoot through a fence with a leica rangefinder, you just move a little to the left).
One thing I like to use the most are the Grafmatic backs which hold 6 sheets and don't leave you contending with a darkslide while exposing.
I had Dean mount cable release holders on all of my cameras on the left side of the camera- this allows you hold the camera and shoot with your left hand then cock the shutter, change your film sheet and focus with the right hand. With practice and a fire under your ass you can expose 6 sheets in less than 20 secs!
Congrats on your first Razzle--it was so worth going broke for and it will liberate you like you can't imagine! Let me know if you have any other questions. Shoot 'em up Ash!

Cheers, Chris

Ash
27-Sep-2007, 13:34
Hi Chris!

I loved the public photo's I could find from your use of the Razzle, your work was a deciding factor; I could see definite results and that really helps before shelling out a lot of money!!

Thanks for the tips too, I'll be using 150mm :)

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 14:07
Hi Ash,
Thanks for the kudos on the pix-- I couldn't have done many of them without a Razzle!
I just read the rest of the thread--you will love the 150 on your Razzle. I have also read with amusement the postings by the "troller". I got a few threating emails which were as rambling as the rest of his postings and just as entertaining--he should go back to shooting.
I have a friend that bought one of Littman's cameras which he has had to return for adjustment at least three times that I know of-- I have banged my Razzles countless times and had to use the handy adjustment hole just once (Another piece of advice-- check the rangefinder against the ground glass from time to time or if you bang the camera). Also, Dean's front standard on both the 110b's and especially the 900 are WAY more stable than the Littman in my opinion.
You should rest easy and feel confident about your investment-- the only downside is that you will want another one!

Ash
27-Sep-2007, 14:18
Chris - I keep thinking how I want a 'classic lens' version, maybe even a 'rubbish lens' one! I'd love to have a Goerz lens on a Razzle, so I might look into that if a Dogmar might fit. It's a pity the 180mm Dagor won't fit due to focal length and shutter config. :)

I think all critics have been put in their place. I quite enjoy that people are entitled to their opinion so long as it is backed up and most critics on the Polaroids don't have the relevant evidence to enforce their view.

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 14:54
Indeed, the proof of the pudding comes down to what it tastes like; and Razzles taste fabulous. The price means nothing if it doesn't work well. I think that Dean makes his cameras out of love for the craft and the satisfaction of knowing there are many of us out here enjoying his craftmanship-- At the expense of us all, I will say that Dean should/could charge much more for his cameras, but he is certainly above exploitation.

I love your idea of using a rubbish lens on one-- I have squandered much money on ebay trying to find that perfect good/bad lens with fungus and bokeh that are just right--sounds like you've got one and I'm sure that Dean can make it happen somehow. I too immediately consulted Dean on outfitting a Polar with something above a 150 ( I have a Fuji 180mm that is one of my favorites on my Wisner-- a truly great focal length for 4x5) but alas, we are confined to the actual physical constraint of the Polar chassis (90mm to 150mm). I have a 90mm, the standard 127mm, A Schneider 150mm APO (have to remove front element to fold), a Fuji 150mm 6.3 that folds and focuses from 2ft-4ft only for tight portraits, and my 900 also with a Fuji 150mm with movements. I usually like to work with my two favorites, the 90 and the 150, on either shoulder. Although the 900 is my all-around favorite, my other favorite Razzle is my "Green Machine" aka "Street Sweeper" which Dean outfitted with a Schneider 90mm 6.8. This is a wonderful set-up for the journalist in you, plus it focuses down to just over 2 ft.
I have had success with hand-held exposures down to 1/8th in horizontal format-- you will find that camera rests nicely on your shoulder/sternum which is quite stable for a gentle squeeze of the cable release.

Ash
27-Sep-2007, 15:12
I'm glad I could meet the cost of Dean's cameras. I was worried I might never have the chance until I came across a few weeks of hard work, coming out with some spending money. Let's see what I think of the camera, I'm sure it will be worth more than money once I produce some images that I am proud of :)

We're on the same wavelength for a 180 portrait lens then :D
The Dogmar needs mounting in a shutter (and possibly a new rear element - xenar or tessar clone is it??) - that's a project for when I have some cash and spare time! (If you've not seen my other posts, I homebrew mounted the Dagor and also botched my own lenshood/filter ring!)

Kerik Kouklis
27-Sep-2007, 15:16
I've PM'd Dean, but not gotten a response. How much does he charge for Razzles?

Thanks.

Ash
27-Sep-2007, 15:20
Kerik it varies on your needs. Under a grand in some cases I believe.

You may be best emailing him. He has a full time job I believe, so the camera/photo-based stuff is a part time hobby "evenings and weekends" was the phrase. I have waited weeks for correspondence in some cases :)

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 16:33
I can concur with Ash on communicating with Dean, it can take awhile for him to get a round tuit-- he does have a day job AND another hobby showing Gordon Setters (that's where the Razzle name derives from--I believe Razzle was his first).

Dean Jones
27-Sep-2007, 16:41
Don't worry guys, I'm sitting here dumfounded at the size of this list. Chris, I certainly didn't expect to see you on here....but thanks for the encouragement.

Kerik, I have just answered your query regarding a Razzle. I have suffered blackouts on my home computer of late and things have gone a bit haywire. I am writing this on trusty works computer while the boss isn't looking! :eek ::D

Home computer appears overloaded and needs a seeing to.....It keeps on shutting down and losing data, so if anyone has trouble getting hold of me that's the reason.
May have to chuck in the day job too :D

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 16:47
Hey Ash
Just saw your packard shutter job-- Just what I have wanted to do! I have an old 210 f3.5 jena tessar that I have rigged to my speed graphic with a piece cut out of a sheetfilm box and some gaffer tape-- it works, but not as in control as your setup. I have some insane heavy lenses like a 125mm f2 and an aero ektar that are a lot of trouble to rig up plus alot of lenses that are far from fitting in a copol 0, but I suppose I really should have a more usable camera with full movements and plenty of room up front like a cambo...anyway, I like how you work it with your projects.

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 16:51
Hi Dean-
Just ran across the thread today by chance in a google and I figured I could add some insight for your two newest fans-to-be-- I hope all is well aside from the computer.
Cheers, Chris

Dean Jones
27-Sep-2007, 17:27
Hi Chris....I have this latest idea in my head.....in two weeks I'm trialing a 210 Sironar N in a Copal 1 fitted to a 900 with an extended back :eek: Hopefully I can get enough rack to go from infinity to rather close up focus. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Dean.

Chris Usher
27-Sep-2007, 18:13
Sounds Fabulous!..it also sounds like I'll eventually be wanting one!

Ash
27-Sep-2007, 23:51
Chris - thanks, that packard shutter job had many hours head scratching :)
Here's the Dagor threads - shutter mounting (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=26394) and lens hood mounting (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29097)

Talking of speed graphics, I'm still missing an important screw from the shutter release lever assembly - It's driving me crazy not being able to use the camera!!

Dean, have you looked into the old Strut cameras? You could possibly borrow that design to get an adequate extension on the back that can also compress flat?

bartf
28-Sep-2007, 00:04
If you could find some way to get back tilts that would be cool also.

Perhaps it could be done with 4 lockable, independant posts?

Or even like some sort of mutated 'LensBaby' with some sort of locking mechanism?

Or like Ash said, struts, but they could slide allowing for non parallel locking?

Scott --
2-Oct-2007, 13:17
Hee hee hee - when I saw WL was logged on, I knew he was posting to this thread!

Gordon Moat
2-Oct-2007, 13:31
Littmann knows he can get away with slandering Ash's reputation, since Ash lives in the UK. If he had any balls . . . well, I suppose that is hoping for the impossible.:D

Quite simply, if a Littman Polaroid conversion was so vastly better, then he would not worry about competition in any form . . . especially from a supposedly inferior competitor. Chris Usher creates some incredible images with his supposedly inferior cameras . . . go figure.

It seems that the Littmann conversion cannot stand up on it's own merits, making me wonder who really is selling the inferior product.:cool:

Ash
2-Oct-2007, 13:53
If so then what is the purpose of the thread ? Gordon wasnt saying anything to dampen your exitement that others havent mentioned and to which you have agreed

The purpose of the thread was to announce my excitement. That was made clear.

So far every such review posted is coated with virility claims of outperformance and is vindictive and retaliatory.

I can't be bothered with this claim. You're using a thesaurus to confuse the reader. Learn English, learn how to write for the reader.

It seems quite irascible to me that you would start the discussion by making sly remarks in agreement with the trolling by others against me and my product and at every opportunity since, setting the tone and then tell Gordon that the Vendetta is a dispute between two men and you are above all that and then lash out at him or threaten to do the same at anyone who resorts to such behavior as an attempt to appear fair and noble while you were the one who lit the match!

And what do you have to say that will change my mind? I carefully watched your remarks against others and found your attitude, pricing, and inability to use periods quite annoying. You leave nothing but the residue of impatience under my tongue.

I do agree that Flodders has only posted derogatory comments about me and our product as his only posts on internet forums which led us to share your feeling on his intentions and motivation and until forums verify identity you have no way of knowing if the poster is who he says he is and that he isnt a competitor using an alias

but you reprimand him and threaten him and then you act just like him even though your grammar and manners would make Dickens proud and your character in this play also seems to match his style !

Of course you could say this is a battle of wits, quite? You can dance around fancy words, construct sentences to undermine one another but the point stands that any argument is based on an axiom. Your fundamental assumptions are that you stand on a higher ground. In fact, it's more a belief nigh religious than assumed. I am no character but a real person. I base my decisions, arguments, and defense on pragmatism and seek to argue my case with clarity until the point I am proven to be in the wrong.

Again you send people to a prepared list of demening threads as to do damage control and keep the infomercial here on script which says that the exitement has to prevail despite any factual argument and have the nerve to claim the moral high ground as to admonish others !

Watch your spelling again; after all this is an international forum and your credibility is weakened by improper use of language. In fact you start with one argument and finish with another! Arguments are best fought in a coherent linear pattern.

you are trying to present things as better than they are in your favor and on behalf of Jones and not being truthful or fair!

On the contrary, Dean was invited to post the development process, and my reactions followed their natural course.

The truth was he was suspended for doing exactly what he keeps doing which is speak about our product and misrepresent it and its standing

Your petty squabbles weren't my business, nor that of other forum members, and that is why you two were banned.

Your idea of not being part of a dispute is to rekindle it by ushering a staged infomercial which commenced when you were the last one to speak on the other thread taking on the task of taking care of damage control down to the point of having a prepared list of old threads where you could send anyone who would I not follow the act by act scripted infomercial and then proceeding to be Dean's spokesman until you got everyone panting and you turned over the microphone to him?

Can you even speak the language or are you lifting words from previous posts here?

Your idea of not being part of a dispute is to rekindle it by ushering a staged infomercial
Prove it.
which commenced when you were the last one to speak on the other thread taking on the task of taking care of damage control down to the point of having a prepared list of old threads where you could send anyone
Have you the right person here? Prove it.
who would I not follow the act by act scripted infomercial and then proceeding to be Dean's spokesman until you got everyone panting and you turned over the microphone to him?
Your speculation ends with a question. Even your statement can be considered uncertain. Did you receive any formal tuition in literacy?

Everyone who isn't part of the Jones camp can see whats going on .

I am part of no camp. I have stated my true reactions to the camera will be withheld until it is within my grasp and has performed to my expectations. I see "whats going on" is you are losing business. You cannot run a monopoly Litty, you cannot control this area of commerce, stop trying. People aren't prepared to leave money in your hands.

Everyone wants to get mileage out of a purchase and they should butto have everyone dangling from this farce and for this long is another story!.
And yet I asked for HELP from other users of polaroid conversions, not criticism from you, not for followers and jaw-dropping on-lookers. The nature of curiosity cannot be blamed on me.

You then tell everyone that you are going way out on a limb financially and in every regard on this one
I have and am. You cannot prove otherwise.

and proceed to return the favor by speaking on his behalf doing damage control as a spokesman while he was suspended sorry ( unavailable ) and you conceal that to make things appear better than they were and he does the same .

You use of 'Damage Control' is getting on my nerves. I am entitled to my opinion and it is founded for the evidence at hand. Your lack of eloquence can be quite a strain.

You add that he has a catalog of sales to again make things look better than they are because nobody who had a catalog of orders would need to send the entire photographic community into these flaming and recurring diatribes and proceed to usher the never ending tasteless diatribe via scripted episode 987896754597901018 of this infomercial .
Where is your proof? You cannot put words in my mouth. You have no evidence.

And further proof that you and Jones were in connivance and that you started this infomercial at his request and direction is that only 10 days after you started the thread trying at all costs to appear independent he admits"
Are you sick or deluded? You can make any claim you like, but to be fair you could be hitler's son. I have as much proof of that as you do that I am in cahoots with 'Jones'.

Originally Posted by Dean Jones View Post
I had already prepared well for the excitement and fabricated a few front standards." ........of the 900.
Hah, misrepresentation and out-of-context use of a quotation. Your misunderstanding of the language has caused your confusion over this matter. 'Jones', like any other craftsman, like YOU, will have manufactured parts in advance ready for future sales. Get off your cloud.

You two aren't fooling anyone except the few ax grinders returning favors for what is referred to as " extra helpful"
It is spellt Axe and the fool is you.

And you say you don't care about his opinion as long as you receive a fully functional camera, feeling cold?

Well I'm sorry but what you have both done to betray the trust of the rest of membership is quite cold !
I have betrayed no man, laying nobody's trust on my back, and breaking the hope of none.

Is anyone to believe that you are not going to make things appear better than they are again? and say all the excitement has turned into disappointment?and while the guy is standing right there breathing down your neck , everyones neck?
You are the one breathing down my neck, Litty. Nobody else.

If it seems that the subject matter doesn't seem to come up without my name being mentioned is because while people may dislike the premise ; the fact is Nobody spoke about the subject matter before I did.

One mans opinion. Your statement is an inductive fallacy. Simply because you have been mentioned does not make you the sole provider of an idea.

Trust that I do understand the ways of the world but I do not accept the hardship and delays this has caused to my clients and as shown by the admissions you both have made in your posts that the entire thing is nothing but another Solicitation diatribe sparked by you on behalf of Dean Jones and in aggrement as shown by your posts .
Spelling.
I initiated contact with Dean, not the other way around. Your statement has no foundation. You have also destroyed your argument by admitting your huuuuge post is prompted simply by a drop in sales for your own product, by that of a competitor and the enjoyment from his clients.

Ash
2-Oct-2007, 13:54
By your own admission by the words quoted you insist on July 1st that you had been in contact with Jones for a few months referring to the purchase of the camera and on June 8th less than 20 days before that you took on the task of taking sides in this dispute by misrepresenting the facts as would a lobbyist while being in close contact with him
You have previously stated I had contacted 'Jones'. Where is your evidence for your deductions that are the founding for your argument?

This thread is also Demeaning because it betrays the trust of all members of this forum . My clients are also members of this forum and outnumber the Jones clients 9/1.
Prove it.

This thread is demeaning and is nothing but self promotion via the usual vindictive ax grinding retaliation.
Spelling.
Are you not bitter at the lack of promotion for your own product? If you are so sure of your product and its ingenuity you would simply ignore these threads. You are threatened by me, by the side I have chosen. You are threatened that your product will lose out further to less expensive alternatives.

Get a life and bugger off. You're pathetic.

Chris Usher
2-Oct-2007, 17:24
You go Ash!

Thank you for expressing at length, however unfortunately necessary, (and it was), what many of us have wished to say for some time!

In case there is any question, I am referring to the butchery of the English language, methods of argument, unsubstantiated claims (as journalists we say, "cite your sources" --then fact check again), and questionable lucidity. I will let stand for themselves the qualities of the cameras at issue.

Pete Watkins
3-Oct-2007, 01:30
Ash, this has been a nice post, a fun post and an informative post. Then some twat who can't spell and makes up words to try to express his feelings, because his grasp of the English language is sadly limited, comes along and tries to wreck it.
Your reply to his diatride was well thought out and fair. Before Mr. Littman starts on me let me state that I have no desire to own a handheld 4x5 camera and can't see the point in them BUT that is only my opinion. I respect the opinions of those who think differently but I'm happy with the equipment that I've chosen to own and use.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Dean Jones
3-Oct-2007, 03:20
You add that he has a catalog of sales to again make things look better than they are because nobody who had a catalog of orders would need to send the entire photographic community into these flaming and recurring diatribes and proceed to usher the never ending tasteless diatribe via scripted episode 987896754597901018 of this infomercial

I thought we were only up to Episode 20 :confused:

This thread is also Demeaning because it betrays the trust of all members of this forum. My clients are also members of this forum and outnumber the Jones clients 9/1.

Blimey, 9/1 :eek: My apologies, promise I will try much harder.

Ben R
3-Oct-2007, 03:50
It does show really who is demeaning who here, the long tirades and attacks do seem to show just how much the author is demeaning himself and his product...

Mick Fagan
3-Oct-2007, 05:06
I do not wish to belittle anyone, but I believe I am in the small minority of people who have actually held a Littman converted Polaroid camera, as well as a Razzle converted Polaroid camera, in my hot little hands.

It's my money, I decided to go ahead with a Razzle.

Mick.

bartf
3-Oct-2007, 07:51
I'm going to ignore any discussions of rival camera crafters. Ash handled that well in any case.

I got my Blue 900 yesterday and it is a pleasure to use so far.

It's quick to focus and the lens controls are extremely easy to access with my focusing hand.

I can't fit a Polaroid 550 back at the moment, but I suspect I could get it on if I go to the hardware store and select some differently shaped retaining nuts or make some differently shaped rollfilm holders (that engage the graflok slots in the film holder)

The rangefinder looks spot on from testing with the Polaroid 545 back and I'm working my way through the 4 grafmatic holders I have loaded.

And people seems to be quite taken by the comically bright blue I selected.

Quite happy at the moment!

Ash
3-Oct-2007, 08:05
Bart,

You should be happy!

My camera is still AWOL. It is (according to Oz Post) in UK Customs, but UK Customs have yet to send me any notifications! :eek:

I want my camera :(

Ben R
3-Oct-2007, 08:16
They won't be in touch until they phone you up for the money Ash, just keep near the phone...

Pete Watkins
3-Oct-2007, 10:42
Ash, when I bought my beautiful Burke & James recently H.M. Rip Off Scumbags, or the Postal system (as they would prefer to be known), wrote to me giving me a phone number that I could ring to pay all the Customs Duties and the VAT charges (including VAT on postage and packing ((sh*****es)) by Visa etc. It's gonna cost ya, but it will be worth it. You will need to be out of the pit by 11-00am judging by our local second rate delivery service but It'll be worth it.
Best Wishes,
Pete.

Ash
3-Oct-2007, 10:47
I'm waiting for the letter/call.

It's not excitement, more anxiety than anything!

I hate to think a delicate and somewhat expensive (to me) product is stuck in the hands of 'them' :(

leslie wagner
4-Oct-2007, 07:10
For future reference: UPS... they deliver on time. you can track it all the way, and.....they clear customs and bill you later.

Ash
4-Oct-2007, 09:57
Leslie, as your first post on the forum, welcome. Otherwise, please search for previous threads on UPS - you might be (un)pleasantly surprised!

Postal strike starts tomorrow... lets hope within 7 days I might at least KNOW what Royal-*%&^-up Mail have done with my camera!!

bartf
6-Oct-2007, 18:04
Any news of your camera?

Ash
7-Oct-2007, 04:11
Nope. It's in the hands of ParcelForce.

That means it could be anywhere.

Dean Jones
7-Oct-2007, 14:25
Express Post my :eek:
I made several inquiries regarding the hold up and received this:

'Dear Dean,

Thank you for your Express Post International (EPI) enquiry. Please note
that your item is being processed at the National Depot. Please have the
addressee contact our delivery agent in UK Parcel Force on + 08708 501150
Consequently, we are happy to provide a manual trace on receipt of a copy of
the airway bill. Please email a copy to the above address, or fax 02 9202
6283. Please ensure the details are legible by tracing over the sender,
receiver, content and declaration details. Please also include your phone
number to make contact on delivery status once we have received from UK.

(Copy of Airway Bill required as Proof of Purchase and Security reasons).

Best regards'

Not sure what they're up to here.....the camera was shipped eleven days ago :mad:
The usual time frame is seven days for EPI. It only took me 21 days to sail here from Tilbury on a rusty old hulk way back in 1958 and that included a stopover in India :p

Ben R
7-Oct-2007, 15:00
I've had parcel force take a long time before whereas UPS were very fast, it's the nature of the beast and parcel force being part of royal mail the beast in question would make a tortoise look fast..

Scott --
7-Oct-2007, 16:09
Spooky. :eek:

Dean Jones
7-Oct-2007, 16:09
To address this stupid argument about 'compression' I recently gave the Razzlok a 'squeeze' test and my ol' Volvo sure aint no lightweight.

Don't subject a CB103 film holder, (commonly used as a go between on certain alternatives) to this treatment.....it will surely fail. :eek:

Dean Jones
8-Oct-2007, 16:04
Hi Ash....International tracking shows that delivery was attempted on October 5th.
Have you heard anything?

When ParcelForce can finaly be 'forced' to give it up, let me know how much VAT they want
and I will reimburse you that amount......it's the least I can do for all the waiting you've
had to endure. :o

Cheers.

big_ben_blue
8-Oct-2007, 18:45
Is this 'about me' description underhanded or devious? I just found this little morsel on the 'you know what' site......It's not actually about 'Him' but more to the point explains the deranged mindset :D

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=littmanphotodesign

It makes constant references to the content of this thread in the usual manner :p

Littmans rants aside, he seems to be OK with engaging in copyright infringements in his ebay Me page. At least three images are lifted straight from here and Dean's site (from the Polaroid section, the Razzlok section, and Epidose 17 here). Just running the images through a Photoshop filter doesn't cut it. Not really a great way to gather respect in the photographic community as far as I am concerned.

Ash
8-Oct-2007, 23:32
Dean, the fifth was.... Friday.

Definitely not.

They would have left a slip in the box if there was an attempted delivery. My father works from home so there is an 80% chance he is in whenever anybody turns up. If it arrived in that 20% then hey, it's their fault for not leaving a note.

On the PF website:

05-10-2007 11:50 Bristol North Depot Awaiting payment of charges

I am of course waiting for them to tell me how much!!

Ash
8-Oct-2007, 23:55
Heh, there's now even personal digs at me in there! Blood litty he should really get a life.

"Wow, incredible, I can’t believe you made that camera!"
Mario Testino

He didn't make it. Which bit was made by him?? The glue to hold the branded back onto the branded camera? Nothing was original in his design nor construction.

Dean Jones
9-Oct-2007, 01:42
I cannot explain this, but every time this fellow goes on a rant :D my email server goes bananas.
Luckily I'm off work for a couple of weeks to try and make some headway....
So many cameras to build, I can't believe it.

Keep ranting, keep ranting, it's great for business.

Think I'll design some kind of assembly line, a la Henry Ford. :p

Ash
9-Oct-2007, 12:47
I paid the customs duty this morning, a little over £80. "It should arrive before 2pm tomorrow" I said "that's pretty late" the poor girl on the other end of the phone said "uhhhmmm the best I can do is say call up tomorrow morning and we'll see who the driver is.."

It's ridiculous I had to call THEM to pay for the package. Lazy buggers.

rwyoung
9-Oct-2007, 14:43
And you will be sleeping exactly ZERO hours in the next 24 because you are so keyed up! :) Got some 4x5 polaroid to test with?

Ben R
9-Oct-2007, 14:49
And if you haven't I've got a box of polaroid 55 and a holder that you can have, my polariod experiment came to an end when I realised that it cannot replace regular neg film totally!

Ash
9-Oct-2007, 14:51
RW I haven't actually! I was hoping to shoot some test sheets and develop them at home or in the college darkroom. Ben I may have to take you up on your offer :)

Ben R
9-Oct-2007, 14:58
I will get round to putting them up for sale some day, together with the Epson 4990! It hasn't taken me long to come ot the conclusion that the processing and scanning is far better left in the hands of those whose profession it is!

Ash
9-Oct-2007, 15:06
Ben I feel the same about colour, I leave it to pro's..

As for b&w, that's for me to ruin in my own hands ;)

Ash
10-Oct-2007, 02:24
Can anybody guess what this is.........

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/DSC00948.jpg

(edit: this is my parent's house, so excuse my mother's ashtray in the background!)

HeinrichVoelkel
10-Oct-2007, 02:35
I guess this a coffe table book on Australien razzle dogs, bought on Amazo... and delivered well packed to you frontdoor

Dean Jones
10-Oct-2007, 04:12
Can anybody guess what this is.........

This feels just like Christmas morning....:p

loveOliver
10-Oct-2007, 07:16
Congrats Ash and Bart. I've got a Razzle 900 on order, and I'm glad I found this thread. Exciting!

Ash
10-Oct-2007, 08:38
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/DSC00966_a.jpg

Vivitar flashgun atop the Razzle-Ash. Not the best shot in the world, but it'll do :)

MJ's sleeping right now or else I'd have some test shots of her to develop and print/scan.

Weirdest thing happened though.

This picture was taken on a Sony Ericsson K800i mobile phone (doubles up as a Cybershot 3.2mp digicam).

I set the studio flash as a model light but when I pressed the shutter on my phone, the studio flash fired as well!!

So it turns out both the studio flashes AND my mobile phone have integrated wireless flash cells. Neat huh?

Jeremy Moore
10-Oct-2007, 08:47
So it turns out both the studio flashes AND my mobile phone have integrated wireless flash cells. Neat huh?

No, the studio flashes probably have an optical slave and were set off by the flash of your camera phone. To add to this, the studio light probably added nothing to the exposure as your camera phone probably has a pre-flash which actually set the studio lights off before the exposure was even made. The lighting in this image looks like and probably is all from the flash on the camera phone.

Ash
10-Oct-2007, 08:50
Jeremy, I had to darken and crop this image. The studio flash was in-sync with the camera phone.

I took a fair few and had to adjust the location of the studio flash to remove the shadow in the background but not bleach out the whole image.

You might be correct about an optical slave but I've set up the two studio flashes before, had one go off, and the other remain as a lamp - surely if it was optical both would have flashed?

EDIT: Original here - definitely in sync http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/DSC00966_.jpg
2nd EDIT: I tested the Vivitar against the studio flash, they both went off at the same time.

I'm a little confused about the way it all works but hey, it's still wireless :)

Jeremy Moore
10-Oct-2007, 09:19
The fact it was overexposed doesn't necessarily mean it was in sync, it could be the modeling light is what is overexposing the image as it is outputting more light than the cameraphone expects from its flash. What studio light did you use?

Sorry, but I steadfastly refuse to believe that your cameraphone is wirelessly syncing with your studio flashes.