PDA

View Full Version : DIY shutter?

David R Munson
3-Jul-2000, 21:17
Hi everyone, I just bought a Nikkor 240mm f/10 process lens for my equally new ( to me) 8x10. This lens, of course, being a process lens and all, has no shutter . I'll probably have it mounted into a shutter (Copal 3, I think) within the ne xt 6 months, but until then, I'm wondering what would be the best way for me to make exposures. I've considered the lenscap on/lenscap off routine and the whol e packard shutter ordeal, among other things, and they both have their advantage s and disadvantages. I'd like to hear a few suggestions as to what would be a g ood method for making time exposures without shaking the camera in the process. Any ideas? Or, have any of you ever rigged up some kind of shutter to use with barrel lenses? Thanks in advance.

David Carney
4-Jul-2000, 01:17
I haven't ventured into DIY shutters yet but I do have a shutter that mounts in front of the lens (marked "Arrowhead, Denver") with T, B, M,S,(I did add X sync). I know that these were occasionally used by press photographers during the first half of the 20th c. (my father worked for the AP in the '50's). They are occasionally listed for sale on ebay. The other interesting 'gizmo' that I have tried is the focal plane shutter apparatus from a 2x3 speed graphic which you can mount in front of a lens (pretty unwieldy) or between the front standard and bellows on some cameras. I didn't sacrifice a speed for this myself -I purchased the shutter already removed and modified. I have seen the larger (4x5) ones for sale as well. Maybe this info is useful? I looking forward to reading other responses...

sheldon hambrick
4-Jul-2000, 01:18
Sinar DB board....expensive new. I think they can be had used.

Pete Andrews
4-Jul-2000, 05:43
The lens cap method needs a bit of practise. The secret is to ease the cap to the front of the lens and hold it just in front of the lens for a couple of seconds to allow any vibration to die down. Lift it smartly away for the count and then quickly re-cap the lens. A piece of black card is easier to use without any danger of shifting the camera. If you're worried about extraneous light, glue a piece of black velvet to the card. I've also used an old wooden "mousetrap" front of lens shutter, dating from about the 1900s, but they're usually quite small, not really suitable for larger modern lenses. The one I've got gives a 20th of a second with good repeatability. Sinar used to make a front/rear lens shutter with speeds up to 1/60th, and down to about 8 seconds.

David Richhart
4-Jul-2000, 11:32
Well Dave... nothing impresses a group of curious on-lookers or draws more comments than setting up your huge 8x10 camera, crawling under the cloth that is as big as a bedsheet to focus and compose while twisting the camera in all sorts of seemingly impossible shapes, taking all kinds of "mystic" readings with a light meter that appears to be written in some kind of ancient symbols, sliding in a film holder the size of a card table, and then slipping off the lens cap and begin loudly counting "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi ..."

Stopping down the shutter to allow for longer exposure allows more room for error. I would rather work with an exposure of 4 seconds than 1 second!

And it is always nice to carry a few nice prints with you to show the onlookers what large format is about and what you are trying to accomplish...you might even find a few customers! Best wishes ;0D

M.
4-Jul-2000, 12:06
Call Jeff Kay at Lens&Repro for a Worshing Counter Light Cap.