PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 80mm XL known problems...

Former Member 8144
28-Jun-2007, 09:38
Hi,

I am getting hold of a used 80mm xl super symmar.
I am able to look at it before I buy so will check for any haze and stick it on my ebony and see if the focussing is really soft at 4.5 etc

In terms of serial numbers does anyone know what the serial numbers were of the lenses that were NOT affected.
I know from research bad ones included upto serial numbers 1479xxx dated around 2000.

Thanks,

marc

turtle
28-Jun-2007, 10:00
Hi,

I am getting hold of a used 80mm xl super symmar.
I am able to look at it before I buy so will check for any haze and stick it on my ebony and see if the focussing is really soft at 4.5 etc

In terms of serial numbers does anyone know what the serial numbers were of the lenses that were NOT affected.
I know from research bad ones included upto serial numbers 1479xxx dated around 2000.

Thanks,

marc

I seem to recall as post on the Perez/Hevanet website that suggested there were some good and bad ones literally one or two digits different in serial number terms, so maybe the only way is to shoot some film? Or maybe he referred to orders placed at the same time. I have never seen any serial numbers associated with duff batches.

Harley Goldman
28-Jun-2007, 15:35
I had a couple of the bad ones. Never kept track of the serial numbers, though. The haze is clearly visible. Never had a problem with focusing with the three I have had. My latest problem was with dropping it, not focusing it.

eric black
28-Jun-2007, 19:21
Try doing a search of this website for some posts that I did a couple of months ago when I was in the market- I found the info on those posts to be quite valuble in making my decision on which lens to buy.

Anthony Lewis
29-Jun-2007, 02:22
I had a faulty one, but unfortunately didn't keep track of the serial No. The problem was the lens coating evaporating within 6-12 month of manufacture, resulting in a haze within the lens. It only occurred with early lenses. Schneider, as far as I could tell, replaced all lenses affected as soon as it was brought to their attention. It would be unlikely that there are still any of these lenses still in the market place. Who on earth would have kept a lens with haze in it to this day?

After all these years if you see a second hand 80mm that is crystal clear, then it will be fine. If it has haze, then don't touch it - it is easy to see. They are a great lens. I don't think there is any need to be paranoid about these lenses any more. My replacement lens is fine to this day.

turtle
29-Jun-2007, 02:26
yikes, I had never hearda bout teh haze, only being too soft to focus opened up.

Former Member 8144
29-Jun-2007, 09:25
Found a nice one today..no haze..sharp to focus..looking forward to shooting with it next week.

Thanks for the info,

Marc