PDA

View Full Version : Hooked

sog1927
27-Jun-2007, 10:00
I knew it would happen - just the way medium format hooked me when I made the leap upwards from
35mm 20 years ago. I picked up a Tachihara "starter kit" on *bay a couple of months ago (including
2 Polaroid 545 holders and about 10 Fidelity regular holders). I have the following neophyte observations:

1) I want more swing (my choice of compositions seems to require this)
2) Large format Velvia (5 boxes of short-dated Quickloads in the freezer) is a thing of rare and
wondrous beauty. When I find my changing bag, I'm going to be in *real* trouble.
3) I want Tech Pan back. Now.
4) The BTZS dark cloth is God's gift to large format photographers
5) I want more bellows draw (has anyone actually used the Adorama extension back for the Tachi?)
6) "Wind" really is a four-letter word, isn't it (especially here in Colorful Colorado)?
7) I'm already having dark and sinister fantasies about 8x10 and ULF - is there a 12-step program for LF?

Glad to be here,

Steve

matthew blais
27-Jun-2007, 11:40
Welcome and condolences.. :)

First step is admitting your an addict...

All stand up and say "Hi Steve"...

Eric Biggerstaff
27-Jun-2007, 11:49
Steve,

Welcome to LF. Enjoy your Tachi, I have used one for MANY years and it is great.

If you are free this Friday, myself and a few others will be up on Mt Evans photographing in the evening. You are welcome to join. I will probably be up there around 3:00PM and will be in the BRistlecone Pines on Mt Gollath to start.

Have fun!

Ole Tjugen
27-Jun-2007, 11:57
A 4x5" slide is great - but compared to 5x7" it's merely "cute".

I haven't dared shoot 8x10" slides yet, since I know that would lead to 9.5x12", then 12x16", and...

I used to need more swing than my 5x7" Technika could give, but now I rarely use the full swing capability of my Gandolfis (front swing 0, rear swing 10 degrees). If I really really know I need lots of swing I'll have to shoot 4x5" - the Carbon Infinity has more movements than anyone can use.

sog1927
27-Jun-2007, 13:15
I suppose I should be grateful they don't make 20x24 Velvia - it will save me the cost of purchasing
and feeding an elephant in order to "backpack" my equipment.

A 4x5" slide is great - but compared to 5x7" it's merely "cute".

I haven't dared shoot 8x10" slides yet, since I know that would lead to 9.5x12", then 12x16", and...

I used to need more swing than my 5x7" Technika could give, but now I rarely use the full swing capability of my Gandolfis (front swing 0, rear swing 10 degrees). If I really really know I need lots of swing I'll have to shoot 4x5" - the Carbon Infinity has more movements than anyone can use.

Brian Ellis
27-Jun-2007, 15:01
With respect to bellows extension, you can gain another inch or maybe two by using a so-called "top-hat" extension lens board. Both Ebony and Wista make them and they'll fit your Tachihara. The Wista is priced more reasonably than the Ebony as I recall. You could contact Bob Salomon at HP Marketing to learn about the Wista top-hat or go on the Badger web site to check out the Ebony.

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2007, 15:02
You've got a pretty bad case of it, don't you?
Enjoy :)

Ash
27-Jun-2007, 15:07
Hey there.

Good luck, soon you'll own one of everything, then you'll realise you need a backup for everything.

Once you've maxed your spouse's and family's credit cards, you'll then re-mortgage and explore petzvals :D

sog1927
27-Jun-2007, 16:25
Well, since I already have a cabinet-full of Hasselblad gear I'm quite familiar with the limitations of my credit cards. ;-)

Hey there.

Good luck, soon you'll own one of everything, then you'll realise you need a backup for everything.

Once you've maxed your spouse's and family's credit cards, you'll then re-mortgage and explore petzvals :D

sog1927
27-Jun-2007, 16:32
I've seen these - I do have some doubts about the ability of the Tachi to maintain stability with that sort of additional load at full extension. It's pretty. It's light. But it's not exactly the most rigid piece of equipment I've ever owned, if you know what I mean.

Besides, if I talk to Bob (whom I remember from the old rec.photo days) I'm likely to end up buying a TK45S on impulse ;-).

With respect to bellows extension, you can gain another inch or maybe two by using a so-called "top-hat" extension lens board. Both Ebony and Wista make them and they'll fit your Tachihara. The Wista is priced more reasonably than the Ebony as I recall. You could contact Bob Salomon at HP Marketing to learn about the Wista top-hat or go on the Badger web site to check out the Ebony.

Brian Ellis
27-Jun-2007, 17:35
"I've seen these - I do have some doubts about the ability of the Tachi to maintain stability with that sort of additional load at full extension. It's pretty. It's light. But it's not exactly the most rigid piece of equipment I've ever owned, if you know what I mean."

I've owned two Tachiharas. I've never used a top-hat but on one I used a 400mm Fuji telephoto lens that was pretty long and heavy and required virtually full bellows extension. I didn't have a stability problem with it.

sog1927
27-Jun-2007, 21:41
Thanks, Brian, that's good to know. How much draw do you need to focus the 400 tele at infinity? How close could you focus at full extension?

Steve

"I've seen these - I do have some doubts about the ability of the Tachi to maintain stability with that sort of additional load at full extension. It's pretty. It's light. But it's not exactly the most rigid piece of equipment I've ever owned, if you know what I mean."

I've owned two Tachiharas. I've never used a top-hat but on one I used a 400mm Fuji telephoto lens that was pretty long and heavy and required virtually full bellows extension. I didn't have a stability problem with it.

al olson
28-Jun-2007, 20:02
Steve,

Where in Colorado are you located? I had to pass up a trip to Mt. Evans tomorrow that is being organized (more or less) by the Denver folks.

I am in Pagosa Springs and and do 4x5 and 8x10 as well as some of the smaller cameras and I do all of my darkroom work except E-6.

We have several 4x5 shooters in the Durango and Mancos areas as well. If you are near these parts, perhaps we can have a little get-together. Otherwise we can maybe meet some time up Denver way.

It is good to know that there are more LF people in Colorado.

sog1927
28-Jun-2007, 23:30
I'm in Boulder.

So how large (no pun intended) is the Denver group?

Steve

Steve,

Where in Colorado are you located? I had to pass up a trip to Mt. Evans tomorrow that is being organized (more or less) by the Denver folks.

I am in Pagosa Springs and and do 4x5 and 8x10 as well as some of the smaller cameras and I do all of my darkroom work except E-6.

We have several 4x5 shooters in the Durango and Mancos areas as well. If you are near these parts, perhaps we can have a little get-together. Otherwise we can maybe meet some time up Denver way.

It is good to know that there are more LF people in Colorado.

al olson
29-Jun-2007, 05:59
I don't think there is a formal group, but by counting names in the Colorado Get Together thread in Announcements, it looks like there are at least 6 who shoot in the Denver area.

Perhaps there will be some future get-togethers.

Maris Rusis
29-Jun-2007, 22:39
I can always get more swings on my Tachihara 45GF by turning it on its side. That way the tilts become swings and the swings become tilts.