PDA

View Full Version : Options for 7x11 cameras and film holders?

John Schneider
26-Jun-2007, 15:59
8x10 never grew on me (too square). For that matter, 4x5 is too square also, but at least it has the advantage of easy portability.

Based upon what I've seen, I think I would really like 7x11. Since it is sort of a bastard format, I'd like some opinions on the pros and cons of the cameras and film holders, and also their relative availability and possible places to look. Thank you much.

Oren Grad
26-Jun-2007, 16:52
7x11 is a wonderful format. Unfortunately, the cameras and holders are much harder to come by than those for my other favorite old format, whole plate.

Other than home brew projects, I'm aware of only two cameras - the Eastman No. 2/2D, which is fairly scarce - typically only a handful go by on eBay each year - and the Korona, which is very scarce.

The Eastman is known especially for its unusual, extra-wide sliding lensboard. There are nice pictures of the 2D here (http://www.fiberq.com/cam/ekc/2d.htm). The main functional issue with the Eastman is that its design is somewhat different from that of the other formats in the 2/2D series, and is disproportionately heavy - mine weighs around 15 pounds. As partial compensation, though, the vintage Eastman holders are very lightweight.

The Korona is supposed to be much lighter. I've never laid hands on one, though.

Best places to look are probably eBay and the classifieds here and on APUG. You might also check with Lens and Repro in NYC - I believe they've had a set of vintage holders on offer for a good while, though as I recall their asking price wasn't cheap. Also, if I recall correctly Will Whitaker had a set of modern 7x11 holders he was offering on APUG not long ago - not sure whether he still has them.

An alternative, if you find some holders but no camera, is to have an adapter back built for an 8x10 camera. This will need to be an expander back, but the extent of expansion required is not large, so problems with image cutoff on the long dimension should be minimal to non-existent for many typical uses. I've also seen original 7x11 camera backs for sale very occasionally; one of those could be converted into an adapter back.

Oren Grad
26-Jun-2007, 17:05
Lots more discussion in this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/38158-7x11-cameras.html

John Schneider
26-Jun-2007, 21:21
Thanks, Oren, for the info and the APUG link; never thought to search there for some reason.

Now all I need to do is find a camera and some film holders...

Brian Vuillemenot
26-Jun-2007, 22:05
Why don't you just get an 11X14 camera and use a half darkslide to shoot one half of a piece of film at a time for 7X11? You could also shoot 5.5X14 using the same approach and setup.

Mike Castles
27-Jun-2007, 16:08
Hello John, I have recently joined the ranks of the 7x11 format (yeah, the same one that started the thread on APUG) and have to tell you it is a really nice format. Several offered that it is like a small 12x20 and have to agree with them. I had been thinking/talking about a 7x11 for some time (like you I just did not see as square as 8x10 - and I like 8x10, just 7x11 more).

Several offered much sound advice, and it has been great. The camera I found is a Kodak No. 2 (not the later D model) and it is a beast - and I love it. It sits right now without a bellows, as I opted to replace the bellows (figured after 100+ years the original had done it's job). Found another member on APUG (also a member here) that had some holders - a couple of them are off to Alan at AWB to be fitted with new dark slides, have some 11x14 film that I cut down (and some 7x11 film coming in). It's like Christmas around here - Oh, and I mounted my 240 Docktor on the camera...really nice wide angle for the camera.

Go for it, if it is how you see it will be a blast (oh, and don't forget ebay-UK you might find one over there - Kerry mentioned one over there when I was looking, just got to it too late).

John Schneider
30-Jun-2007, 09:20
Okay, I took the plunge and bought the set that Lens & Repro was listing. Thanks to everyone and especially to Mike for their answers and encouragement. Now I need to think about a camera to adapt this back to. I have a Linhof Color parts camera I could use if I decide to go the monorail route, or possibly an Ansco wood field. I will post pictures when I finish things.

And as long as we're talking about homebrew cameras, a while back I made a 4x5 monorail (it began as a few modifications to a Gowland Pocket View, and then got out of hand as I decided to change about 75% of the camera). I don't want to toot my own horn, but would it be helpful to others here at the forum if I posted pics of that camera for ideas or inspiration for other tinkerers?

Cheers, John

wfwhitaker
30-Jun-2007, 15:31
If you can get your hands on a 10x12, the 7x11 format will fit neatly inside it. I never trusted extension backs, but then I've never used one, either

Paul Droluk
30-Jun-2007, 17:18
Fotoman here... how much interest would there be in NEW modern (molded) 7x11 film holders? We intend to produce 12x20 Holders, and if there's enough interest we could incorporate 7x11's into the same mold.

Mike Castles
30-Jun-2007, 17:44
Fotoman here... how much interest would there be in NEW modern (molded) 7x11 film holders? We intend to produce 12x20 Holders, and if there's enough interest we could incorporate 7x11's into the same mold.

Hellow Paul, here is one vote of interest for sure. Would love to see new modern 7x11 film holders available.

Scott --
30-Jun-2007, 18:04
Poor form hijack, but is there a 5x12 holder in the lineup?

wfwhitaker
30-Jun-2007, 18:45
... how much interest would there be in NEW modern (molded) 7x11 film holders? We intend to produce 12x20 Holders, and if there's enough interest we could incorporate 7x11's into the same mold.

Count me in! But please make them to the Kodak standard.

Mike Castles
30-Jun-2007, 19:04
Okay, I took the plunge and bought the set that Lens & Repro was listing. Thanks to everyone and especially to Mike for their answers and encouragement.
Cheers, John

Congratulations John, I think you will be very happy with the format. Oh and Thank you for the kind words, but with all the help I had here and over on APUG (many of the same good folks) I was just passing on what I had learned.

John Schneider
1-Aug-2007, 13:23
Thanks to a well-timed PM from Mike Castles (thank you very much), I am now the proud owner of an Eastman View Camera No. 2 (with 8x10 and 7x11 backs) formerly owned by Michael A. Smith (of Azo printing fame) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170134147472&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007.

I spoke with Michael, and he was given the camera about a year ago but it never supplanted his beloved Kodak 8x10 Master Metal Camera, and he never used it. I am very pleased to get this; it seems like the holders and the camera both sort of fell into my lap, and I'm usually the type who would have sold the holders just before a matching camera came along. The bellows haven't been tested so they may need some patching, but regardless I can hopefully start shooting 7x11 soon, once I test the bellows and cut down some film. And, the L&R holders came loaded with film; I'm curious to see if any usable image can be made with them.

Thanks to all who offered advice on this forum.

Mike Castles
1-Aug-2007, 17:39
Very Cool John, I was hoping that was you that won the 7x11. Plus it does come with the 8x10 back, all you need to watch for now is a No.2 extension rail and you will be set (though I have not needed mine yet). Looked like you get 3 lens boards with the camera as well.

Pickup some of the Arista 11x14 film (less $80 for 25 sheets) and have a ball. Welcome to the 7x11 club, I may be new to the format but love it - plus there are at least 3-4 others using the format here.

wfwhitaker
2-Aug-2007, 20:40
Looks nice, John! I'm just slightly jealous... Good thing I didn't know about the auction! ;)

I look forward to seeing your results.