PDA

View Full Version : Sinar DB Shutter / Lenses

Tigerchick
26-Jun-2007, 05:51
Hi, there - first post so please bear with me and my ignorance! I'm new to LF and have just got a good deal (I think!) on a Sinar F. I was wondering about getting a DB shutter for it as it seems to be a way of being able to get use slightly cheaper lenses i.e. DB mounted ones. I'm a bit confused though about what I should be looking for - there seem to be a number of different models around. Also the lenses seem to be in differing mounts (some advertised as specifically for DB shutters and some for automatic shutters with the rabbit ear things). Are all these varieties of lens / mountboard / shutter compatible or is there some black art to this?
With the camera came a Rodenstock 6.8 f210 in a Prontor Press shutter. It seems to be a bit wobbly in its board though. Assuming this isn't normal what is the best way to tighten it up?
Many thanks - Michael

Pete Roody
26-Jun-2007, 06:15
Michael,

If you decide to opt for DB mounted lenses, I would recommend you stay away from earlier versions (rabbit ear variety). Later versions (in the black DB mounts with iris adjustment) usually have lens elements that can be directly mounted in modern shutters (Copal 0, 1 & 3). This way you could allways remount the lenses into modern shutters if you change cameras. You should look for a black sinar copal shutter that has the aperture selection built into it. The combination of the later shutter/db mount allows you to preview with maximum aperture, and the lens automatically stops down to your selected aperture when you fire the shutter.

To tighten the lens/shutter to the lensboard, you will need to tighten the shutter jam nut. Unscrew the rear element and you will see a nut attached to the shutter. It will have slots in it to turn it. A lens wrench is a custom tool that fits to the slots to tighten the nut. Versions start at ~$20. If you don't have one, you can use two small flat screw drivers. Be careful! Also, don't apply too much force in tightening the nut. Snug tight is good enough.

Tigerchick
27-Jun-2007, 04:47
Thanks Pete! All tightened up nicely - srewdriver did the trick. Will bear the advice about the shutter in mind - very helpful.