PDA

View Full Version : Cable releases.

walter23
25-Jun-2007, 22:12
I can't believe I'm asking about such a cheap accessory, but here we go. Until now I've been making do with a really crappy cable release. It's very stiff and thus prone to imparting vibration from my hands to the front standard. It hasn't affected any of my shots really, but that's mainly because I've gone through some annoying routines to stabilize it. Time for an upgrade.

Unfortunately all of the local stores just carry the crappy kind that I currently have, and of course electronic releases for modern 35mm / DSLRs.

What would you order from badger graphic as a nice, floppy upgrade to this stiff little bastard?

Shen45
25-Jun-2007, 23:33
If you can find one I highly recommend an air release. It is like the old fashioned one for a packard shutter only a smaller bulb and a device that has a typical cable release style attachment. You normally get about 6 metres of tubing but you can make the tubing as short as you like. I use mine as a 1 metre length cable/air release. Zero movement.

John Kasaian
26-Jun-2007, 00:14
I'm fond of Gepe Professionals because my #5 Universals demand a long throw, but they aren't floppy, My floppy cable releases are Minettes from Calumet, one is a cable coated with clear vinyl, the other is a zippy red fabric covered model. Niether will reliably fire my #5 Universals, so they see action on my copal shuttered Nikkor and Schneider lenses, or on my medium format and 35mms. They are delightfully floppy though! BTW, Zeiss disc locks rock!

evan clarke
26-Jun-2007, 03:22
Talk to Jim at Midwest and buy an Ebony cable release. There are a couple lengths and made very well...EC

Michael Graves
26-Jun-2007, 05:23
I agree with Evan. The Ebony is the nicest accessory I've added lately. Works with every shutter I have, including my cantenkerous old Ilex #4. Beautiful rich feel and smooth as a baby's butt.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
26-Jun-2007, 05:41
A second vote for the Minette from Calumet. I have three (all 12") and all seem to be fine with my older shutters including Ilex, Compound, and Alphax.

I also have a Linhof and a Gepe. Both are very nicely made but are a bit stiffer than the Minette.

Don Wilkes
26-Jun-2007, 11:23
As I'm unfamiliar with Minette, I had a quick look on the Calumet website for them. They do not show up at all. In fact, when I bring up a list of all their available cable releases, there's nothing that shows as being similar in name at all. Is this a brand they no longer carry, perhaps?

Cheers,
\donw in Victoria

Gene McCluney
26-Jun-2007, 11:42
I have found that cable releases are manufactured mostly anomously in China and get branded by the distributors, therefore it is possible to find high-quality cable releases under many different "brands"..often the same release with different price points.

Bob Salomon
27-Jun-2007, 04:58
I have found that cable releases are manufactured mostly anomously in China and get branded by the distributors, therefore it is possible to find high-quality cable releases under many different "brands"..often the same release with different price points.

Gepe releases as well as Linhof and Kaiser releases are all made in Germany. Even though they are distributed by us.

So your statement refers to some cable releases but not all cable releases.

The ones we sell from these companies are very easy to find and their quality is reliable and repeatable.

Mike Davis
27-Jun-2007, 06:04
Gepe for my Ilex #5's. A variety of releases for my Copals, Betax, RB67, etc.

If you have a good shop locally, it makes sense to show up with your lens and board and try out a couple.

Mike

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
27-Jun-2007, 06:05
As I'm unfamiliar with Minette, I had a quick look on the Calumet website for them. They do not show up at all. In fact, when I bring up a list of all their available cable releases, there's nothing that shows as being similar in name at all. Is this a brand they no longer carry, perhaps?...

Hmm, it seems that the Minette has dissapeared from the Calumet website. Perhaps it is no longer made?

John Kasaian
27-Jun-2007, 07:56
My two Minettes aren't marked "Minette" but are made by them in Japan for Calumet. If you see a Calumet cable release made in Japan it is likely a Minette (I'm guessing.) My Minettes are well built, but IMHO Gepes will reliably fire all my shutters and I haven't found any indication that the floppy-ness of the Minettes are beneficial other than they roll up smaller if you want to stick in your pocket,

My view of cable releases are colored y this experience several years ago: A beautiful evening at the Mono County park at the North end of Mono Lake (The one with all the stinging nettle)A 14" Commercial Ektar in a #5 is up front on the 'dorff. Everything is in focus and locked down. I press the cable release and......nothing :confused:

Gepes rock! :)

Eric Woodbury
27-Jun-2007, 10:44
I buy them from Freestyle. I like them short, cheap, and plentiful. I get the el-cheapo cloth version. Floppy all year round. One for every lens. If I lose one, there's always a spare. They last for years.

Ron Bose
27-Jun-2007, 10:44
Rob Skeoch in Burlington, Ontario sells the Ebony releases, they are really nice.

I bought a short and a long from him.