PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 2509n reel scratching film

davidb
25-Jun-2007, 14:34
I am using a Jobo 2509n reel in a 2521 tank to process my 4x5 film.

I am doing (gentle) inversions and not using the 4x5 insert holder things.

I have used some J&C film, Ekfe 100 film, and Fuji Acros film.

All of the film scratches where the film is held in place by little triangles (if you have a reel you know what I mean).

I am also using Kodafix fixer, which has a hardener.

Anyone else having this problem?

Sal Santamaura
25-Jun-2007, 14:59
Think of it as a "characteristic" rather than a problem. It is what it is; they all do that.

The hardener is of no consequence, since 2509n reels makes their sratches during loading, before the first drop of liquid is present. Unless you're planning to print outside the image area, this should not be an issue. If you are, it's just one more reason to get an Expert drum.

davidb
25-Jun-2007, 15:01
Well it kills the option of contact printing (full frame).

The marks appear just at the edge of the emulsion.

BradS
25-Jun-2007, 15:09
I used to have a similar problem. Since I started loading the film with the emulsion side facing the center of the reel, I've not had any marks. Putting the emulsion side in leaves the support facing the little tabs - it doesn't scratch so easily as the emulsion side and so...no problem. You gotta use the little, black 'V' shaped thingies too. They keep the film edges from sticking together.

Paul Metcalf
25-Jun-2007, 18:47
Since I started loading the film with the emulsion side facing the center of the reel, I've not had any marks. Wow, I've always done it that way. Isn't that what the instructions say?

BradS
25-Jun-2007, 22:02
Wow, I've always done it that way. Isn't that what the instructions say?

:) :) :) Yep!

davidb
26-Jun-2007, 19:10
Well, I just did another 3 sheets of Efke 100 with gentle inversions and this time with the emulsion in and the film appears to be okay.

I put the notches at the top of the reel. I swear I did this before. Maybe not.