PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao FCL57A Axis Tilt

Ross Chambers
24-Jun-2007, 20:05
The front standard LOOKS like an axis tilt is possible, but to maintain rise and fall there are 2 circular lugs which slot into the elongated slot in the vertical strut, and which seem to prevent any tilt.

However there are rectangular nuts within the larger circular rubber clad ones which look as though they are for axis tilt.

I'm sure it's quite obvious, especially to any Shen Hao owners, but I'm suffering a block!

Thanks - Ross

Morten
24-Jun-2007, 23:57
Yes, it has front axis tilt. Works nice.

Regards Morten :-)

Ross Chambers
25-Jun-2007, 16:17
Thanks Morten,

but how? (or Hao?) do you set up the front standard to avoid the small lugs which engage the long vertical slot preventing any movement but rise and fall?

The way I did figure seems wrong, that is with the short struts connected to the base at an acute angle, placing the small lugs out of the vertical slot, which means rise and fall also change the distance from the film plane and lose focus.

I'm used to axis tilt alone or base tilt alone, can't figure this.

Regards - Ross

Ross Chambers
25-Jun-2007, 16:27
You can see the small lugs I'm talking about in some of these proud owner shots.

These seem to be part of a plate that doesn't seem to want to move when they are in the slot. Maybe a trifle more force?

Thanks - Ross

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19657&highlight=shen+hao+5x7

Turner Reich
25-Jun-2007, 22:02
It comes out of the track and then you can tilt the front on the axis. You will have to tilt the front standard forward or backward to get vertical again then use the lens axis tilt. It is easier to do than to describe.

Look at it, you will be able to figure it out. Good luck.

Amund BLix Aaeng
26-Jun-2007, 00:27
Here`s a couple of snaps of the axis tilt.

Morten
26-Jun-2007, 00:32
Once my frontstandard is back from Shanghai after the upgrade, I will post some pictures. As Turner said "It is easier to do than to describe" ;-)

Its a dual/doubble bolt, with the outmost screw looking rise/fall, and the inner screw / lug looking the axis tilt. Wait for the pictures and it should be much clearer to see

Best regards
Morten

Ross Chambers
26-Jun-2007, 15:19
Got it at last! Given time zone differences I post the question in the Australian morning and check for replies, then try at night, hence the delay.

It was really just the loosening of the correct nuts and using a little more energy to move the lens board past the neutral detents. The last time I used a little force I managed to damage an RB67, so now I'm more cautious.

I don't really need shots of the mechanism now, but it was a kind thought.

Many thanks for the help, it seems like there's a pool of Shen Hao knowledge among the "Scandies" as they were fondly called around the Danish and Norwegian settled areas of 19C New Zealand.

Regards - Ross