PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Camera Question

Texian
24-Jun-2007, 12:03
I am looking at getting a new or used folding 4x5 camera and was wondering if any of the current manufacturers offer one that allows for the lens to remain attached with the camera closed. My previous camera from many years ago permitted me to keep my 150mm attached. I liked this convenience for backpacking, but unnfortunately I can't find any info on the manufacturers websites indicating this characteristic.
Thanks for your help,
---Ed

Gene McCluney
24-Jun-2007, 12:13
Lenses come in a huge range of thicknesses. It is possible that some of the smallest lenses could be left on. Depends. The old Press Cameras do allow you to leave a lens on when the camera is folded up.

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 12:14
If the lens is small enough, I know that the Linhof Technika allows you to store the lens in place. Otherwise, check out the non-folding Ebonys.

E_Aiken
24-Jun-2007, 12:15
what's your budget? The Ebony 45S can keep a lens on. It's not a folding camera, but the design of the thing is pretty smart. A friend uses it (he's a heavy architecture guy) and I myself have the RW45 (lightweight folder) and his camera collapses down just about as small as mine does, just weighs a smidge more. Technikas can do it with the smaller lenses, but I think I'm the one person alive who really doesn't like Techs.

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 12:21
E-- You are not the only one that does not like the Techs. The newer ones seem so overengineered as to seem fiddly to me. Long live the Ebonys.

E_Aiken
24-Jun-2007, 16:01
E-- You are not the only one that does not like the Techs. The newer ones seem so overengineered as to seem fiddly to me. Long live the Ebonys.

I've only worked with older Techs, and while they're beautiful machines and so well made, the interface of them just doesn't agree with me the way Ebony, Deardorff, Canham, and almost every other wooden camera I've tried does. I wish I could get along with press cameras like the Linhofs and Graphics, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Brian Ellis
24-Jun-2007, 16:45
I've only worked with older Techs, and while they're beautiful machines and so well made, the interface of them just doesn't agree with me the way Ebony, Deardorff, Canham, and almost every other wooden camera I've tried does. I wish I could get along with press cameras like the Linhofs and Graphics, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Linhof Technikas aren't press cameras. Press cameras don't have back movements. Linhof Technikas are technical cameras (hence the "Technika" name). And I much prefer the two Technikas I've owned to the two Ebonys I've owned. So there. : - )

E_Aiken
24-Jun-2007, 17:45
Linhof Technikas aren't press cameras. Press cameras don't have back movements. Linhof Technikas are technical cameras (hence the "Technika" name). And I much prefer the two Technikas I've owned to the two Ebonys I've owned. So there. : - )

my mistake, the photographer I've been borrowing a Tech from refers to it as a "press camera," I suppose as it has a rangefinder and is handholdable. Though I'd hesitate to say there's anything "technical" about those back "movements." ;)

Jon Shiu
24-Jun-2007, 18:07
I am looking at getting a new or used folding 4x5 camera and was wondering if any of the current manufacturers offer one that allows for the lens to remain attached with the camera closed. My previous camera from many years ago permitted me to keep my 150mm attached. I liked this convenience for backpacking, but unnfortunately I can't find any info on the manufacturers websites indicating this characteristic.
Thanks for your help,
---Ed

Hi, here is lightweight camera that may be of interest, Toyo 45CF:
http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

Jon

Dave_B
24-Jun-2007, 18:49
Hi, here is lightweight camera that may be of interest, Toyo 45CF:
http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/45CF.html

Jon

I have the Toyo 45CF and it is designed so that one can close it up with a lens inside. As an example, the Nikkor W 135 fits. You can close it up with a larger lens if you reverse the lensboard on the camera before you fold it up. When closed, it provides an almost bullet-proof way to carry your lens while backpacking.
Good luck,
Dave B.

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2007, 19:38
Most of the cameras I've seen will allow you to keep a lens stashed on board simply by reversing the lens board.

Texian
25-Jun-2007, 15:57
Thanks for the assistance.
---Ed

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2007, 16:07
You can close the Master Technika with a 150mm lens like the Apo Sironar S or N attached. These lenses must be on a recessed lensboard for the camera to close with one of them on it.

Mick Fagan
27-Jun-2007, 01:00
I have a Shen Hao 4x5" and I keep my Fujinon f/6.3/150 lens mounted backwards, very easily.

Mick.

Jim Rhoades
27-Jun-2007, 07:43
Also the Horseman FA (back movements) & HD (no back movements) models will fold with smaller lenses. Including 90mm Optar, 135 Rodenstock N, 150 Schneider Xenar and a 203 Ektar, mount 42 that fits in a #0 shutter.

photographs42
27-Jun-2007, 09:13
I use a Technika and have a 4x5 Tech IV and a 5x7 Tech III, which is the one I’ve used for the last 4 years. They are built like tanks and I have no worries when carrying mine attached to the tripod carried over my shoulder. I usually have a Nikkor 300M on the camera which fits easily within the shell. I’ve never tried it, but I don’t think you can put the Technika boards on the camera backwords. I could be wrong about that.

The biggest drawback to the Technikas is that they are HEAVY! As I recall my little 4x5 weighs around 9lbs. and the 5x7 around 12lbs. Both have the rangefinder stripped off. On the other hand, I have a 4x5 Wista that is a featherweight and when I was using 4x5, I always chose the Technika when I went out to make images. I have never made a single negative with the Wista and I’ve owned it for at least 25 years.

I just returned from a trip to Ricketts Glen S.P. in Pennsylvania and after carrying about 55lbs. of gear down and back up a trail with 1260 ft of elevation change, the 45CF at 3.42lbs. looks pretty good right now.

Jerome