PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help!

Goins3rd
24-Jun-2007, 09:32
I am an experienced Nikon 35mm and mamiya MF amateur. Should I buy the following on ebay to start in LF, or something else. I don't much care about the weight differences.
Thanks,
see: 8x10 View Camera (Horseman monorail.) Ebay on sale!:

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2007, 09:35
How passionate are you about 8x10?

Goins3rd
24-Jun-2007, 09:40
I have never shot LF, but I finally learned that I am a "contemplative photographer."

Digital taught me that lesson.

Thanks,

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 09:40
It really depends on what you intend on shooting, and how much money you want to spend to get into large format. It looks to be a great price for the equipment, but you should expect the price to rise to around $1000.00 before the bidding is up. On top of that, you have to figure in the costs of the filmholders, film and lenses. If you are just going to shoot BW, the film is relatively inexpensive. If you are looking at chromes, expect to pay about $400.00 for 50 sheets of provia. Also, in my experience, 8x10 is relatively difficult to travel with (air) due to the size and weight restrictions, unless you are willing to check the camera.

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 09:45
Also, unless you are going to develop yourself, you should anticipate between $5 and $7 a sheet for development.

Goins3rd
24-Jun-2007, 09:52
Thanks men!
I have considered the additional costs. I already own a Pentax spotmeter, Pentax loupe, Manfrotto tripod head, Berlebach tripod, Lowepro bag, etc. A fairly strong back!

I was considering a Canham 8x10 standard camera w/Fujinon 300mm C to start. I can use my Nikon F100 w/50 mm lens to help with exposure. The 300mm C (Fuji) and the nikon 50mm use the same size filters (52mm), so I get some help there.

The real question is price, monorail vs. field camera. Can you help?

Thanks

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 10:12
If you are going to be doing lots of field shooting, then a field camera is obviously better, unless you want to do a fair amount of architectural shooting in which case this camera would serve you well. I did lots of field shooting with a TK45 for several years and had no problems, but that is a hybrid field/monorail. The biggest problem you will have with this camera in the field is transportation. Unless you want to break the camera down, you will have to transport it in a large box type case, where the camera remains on the rail and hangs upside down. The advantage with such a case is that the lense remains attached and you have room to store your filmholders.

All in all, the current price is a steal to get into large format. This would work as a limited field camera (don't plan on extensive hiking with it, but great for shooting within a few hundred yards from the car), a great studio or architectural camera.

Ron Marshall
24-Jun-2007, 10:23
What subjects do you like to shoot? Answer that and then you can better determine what camera, and perhaps format, will best suit your needs.

8x10 camera and lenses usually are heavier than 4x5, and unless you intend to print very large or contact print, don't offer much of an advantage.

Goins3rd
24-Jun-2007, 10:37
Thanks for your advice on 4x5 vs. 8x10. I have a Mamiya 7 II (6x7) and a Mamiya 645 (6x4.5) and have had excellent results. I shoot mostly Velvia and Ilford Delta 100 off my monopod. The 4x5 is closer in size to my MF, and the 8x10 B&W contact prints are really fabulous. I have some Cibachromes of my MF work in 11x14 and everybody raves. My choices in subject are landscape and architectural, close to home. I have done some good portraits in 35mm...at least the subjects thought so.

I am inclined to go for this one, and see. Maybe LF is not for me.

Thanks,

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 10:42
Given what you shoot, I would agree that, given the price, this is not a bad way to get into LF. As for lenses and film holders, check with Jim at Midwest Photo (mpex.com) and he can set you up. Good luck on the auction.

Ron Marshall
24-Jun-2007, 10:59
Thanks for your advice on 4x5 vs. 8x10. I have a Mamiya 7 II (6x7) and a Mamiya 645 (6x4.5) and have had excellent results. I shoot mostly Velvia and Ilford Delta 100 off my monopod. The 4x5 is closer in size to my MF, and the 8x10 B&W contact prints are really fabulous. I have some Cibachromes of my MF work in 11x14 and everybody raves. My choices in subject are landscape and architectural, close to home. I have done some good portraits in 35mm...at least the subjects thought so.

I am inclined to go for this one, and see. Maybe LF is not for me.

Thanks,

Go for it! 8x10 contacts are very nice! You can always re-sell if for some reason it's not for you, or if you decide to go larger.

E_Aiken
24-Jun-2007, 12:11
For color work you may want to start off with a 4x5, unless you've got piles of cash so big sitting in your back yard you sometimes set them on fire for kicks. Color 8x10 is freakin' expensive. My favorite working combo right now (I shoot c41 color) is the Mamiya 7 and a 4x5 field camera (Ebony RW45.) The Ebony is small and light as far as 4x5 cameras go, rigid, quick to work with, and offers a pretty good range of movements for most subjects - it's more than enough for landscape and portrait. I'm really into architecture as an aspect of documentary work myself and I've only a couple of times felt I really needed more movements than the RW could offer, and that's outweighed daily by the fact that the RW is so portable I take it with my every time I shoot. I'm a pretty strong guy who thinks nothing of mountain climbing with an RZ67 kit, but the month I spent with a borrowed Deardorff (and most importantly, the 8x10 HOLDERS!) taught me that it's just not a tremendously mobile format.

I feel like 4x5 is something you can just jump into almost on a whim, but 8x10 really you benefit from renting or borrowing a camera for a week to make sure it's right for you. Also, don't discount 4x5. You shoot modern emulsions where 40x50 inch prints will be really easy to make look great as long as your technique is good. There's nothing like an 8x10 groundglass, but I'd definitely suggest spending time with one (and five or six film holders) first if you think the 8x10 format is for you.

Randy Redford
24-Jun-2007, 12:18
So, are you the proud owner of this camera? I happened to see the end of the auction and the prices more than doubled in the last minute of the auction.

Goins3rd
24-Jun-2007, 12:48
I didnt win the bid. When it got over $1000.00 I passed.

Next time!

I thank you guys for all your help.

I promised myself to shoot more MF, and improve my technique. I did re-read "The Camera" by Ansel Adams while waiting it out. Tilts and swings would be nice. I have lots of shots that looked funny after I processed them. My brain compensated for what my eye saw.

John Kasaian
24-Jun-2007, 19:53
How passionate are you about 8x10?

Why I asked was that most of us start with a 4x5. If you want to start with an 8x10 thats great of course, but I had to ask. You can shoot 8x10 fairly economically if you love B&W and contacts, If not, I'd consider a 4x5 and something like a D-2 enlarger as a good entry to LF.
For an 8x10 under $1000 I'd look for a Calumet "Green Monster" Agfa Ansco "Universal "and the B&J. You just might find a Seneca or Korona in that price range too. Condition is everything of course. Try and get a few film holders and a lens---or at the very least a lensboard thrown in with the deal. You'll need a heavy tripod to support these cameras too. There are plenty of suggestions for these and 8x10 lenses elsewhere so I won't duplicate the effort here making suggestions.
Have fun!:)