PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Delfino L. Tiongco
23-Jun-2007, 09:53
Hi everybody.

I have been in interested in photography since I was ten. Being a native of the Philippines, I was not able to afford to buy a camera until I entered college and my dear mom loaned me some hard earned money to buy a Nikon F.

To compensate for not having an actual camera, I wrote for manuals on products that interest me. I had Nikon F, Hasselblad, Leica, and Linhof manuals. I read all the vintage photography books available in our limited hometown library. Before I graduated from high school, I pretty much understand Adams Zone system.

I retired from the navy in 1998. I finally started buying large format equipment. Then digital photography got in the way. For awhile, it was very promising. The only drawback is that as soon as I buy equipment, it is already obsolete! My wife has a negative taken in 1946 and I can make a good print with my present analog equipment, a D2 enlarger. I wonder if my wife original jpg file was in a 5 /14 floppy disk!

I guess when the digital domain finally takes over. Large format photographers will be going back to – just like the pioneer photographers – mixing chemicals and contact printing prints. No 16 Photoshop layers to make one decent photograph.

My day job is in IT. I am a security network engineer, so technology does not intimidate me.

Personally, I prefer burning and dodging than layers.

Cheers.

Delfino L Tiongco

Ole Tjugen
23-Jun-2007, 10:37
Some of us do mix chemicals, and make contact prints on home-made emulsions.

Some of us (sometimes the same people) scan the negatives and print on inkjets, too.

But it's a lot of fun working with "obsolete" equipment - especially if the resulting prints are better than anything possible with the latest software!

John Kasaian
23-Jun-2007, 13:06
Hello & welcome from "sunny 16" California!