PDA

View Full Version : Lens for LF projection

m.bruehl
22-Jun-2007, 04:49
As there are nearly no projectors for 4x5 and only a few, quite expensive ones for 6x7, I think about using the optical components of an old HOMRICH 5x7 enlarger to build an own projector.

My question:

Which lenses, or type/design of lenses, would you suggest for 4x5 projection?

I think about a lens of about 300 mm.

Regards

Mike

Uusilehto
22-Jun-2007, 04:59
Well, there is always the 178mm f/2.5 Aero-Ektar. Should provide reasonable performance for projection. Another choice would be a lens out of an overhead projector.

David A. Goldfarb
22-Jun-2007, 05:13
Projection lenses, even modern ones, are often Petzvals. If you find a Petzval without a slot for stops, it's likely to be from an old magic lantern projector.

Projection bulbs are also usually considerably brighter than enlarger bulbs.

Uusilehto
22-Jun-2007, 06:05
Projection lenses, even modern ones, are often Petzvals. If you find a Petzval without a slot for stops, it's likely to be from an old magic lantern projector.

Projection bulbs are also usually considerably brighter than enlarger bulbs.

Might want to try metal halide (HID) lamps. The light is supposedly very bright and "whiter" than halogen. Obviously, you'd need a heck of a ventilation system with those.

Wimpler
22-Jun-2007, 07:36
You might have luck searching for the lenses from large format projectors. I have collected a few. I have a rodenstock splendar 150 en 200mm, a rodenstock splendon 300mm, and a liesegang janar 200mm f3.5. Another brand of lens for large format projector I've seen is Aldis. Hope this helps a bit.

Neal Shields
22-Jun-2007, 11:13
Contact Jimmy Waters at Nortex Electronic Company in Ft. Worth

They have several large format projectors I don't think they have any that go beyond 3x4 but it might be possiable to adapt the carrier.

I have one and have that on my project list but it is way down on the list.

The phone # is 817 731 6611