PDA

View Full Version : Cameras with built-in shutters

Rider
20-Jun-2007, 19:58
Having acquired a few lenses with no shutters, I'm interested in finding out about cameras with built-in shutters and packard shutters. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Paul Metcalf
20-Jun-2007, 20:30
Start here for packard shutters http://www.packardshutter.com/

Dave Parker
20-Jun-2007, 20:32
http://www.graflex.org

The speed graphic is a great camera with a built in shutter system

Dave

Jon Wilson
20-Jun-2007, 20:47
Here is an excellent article on packard shutters
http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#PackardShutter

Jon

David A. Goldfarb
21-Jun-2007, 05:46
There are also a few different shutters available for Sinar that just clip in behind the lens.

jnantz
21-Jun-2007, 06:14

Dave

graflex slr's too :)

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 07:55
There are also a few different shutters available for Sinar that just clip in behind the lens.

Given the Sinar name, I assume they're not cheap, right? Do they work with other cameras?

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 07:56
Start here for packard shutters http://www.packardshutter.com/

I had no idea they were still made. What's the largest one that can be fitted to a 4"x4" board on a field camera? What to look for in a used shutter?

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 07:57

Dave

Thanks! Looks like a great resource.

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 07:58
Here is an excellent article on packard shutters
http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin/index.htm#PackardShutter

Jon

It is a great article. The one thing I'm still not certain of is which size shutter will fit on a 4"x4" board, and what's the largest f-stop that will acommodate.

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 07:59
graflex slr's too :)

SLR? How does that work? Do you have a link?

Dave Parker
21-Jun-2007, 08:03
SLR? How does that work? Do you have a link?

If you look through the like I provided, you will find information on the Graflex SLR series of cameras, the www.graflex.org website contains tons of information about most of the cameras made by that company.

Dave

Gene McCluney
21-Jun-2007, 08:14
It is a great article. The one thing I'm still not certain of is which size shutter will fit on a 4"x4" board, and what's the largest f-stop that will acommodate.

If you go to the Packard Shutter manufacturers website, at the link provided in another post, you can get the dimensions. The largest f-stop that shutter will permit is dependent on the lens in question. A short focal length lens will allow a faster lens for a given hole size.

Paul Metcalf
21-Jun-2007, 08:43
If you go to the Packard Shutter manufacturers website, at the link provided in another post, you can get the dimensions. The largest f-stop that shutter will permit is dependent on the lens in question. A short focal length lens will allow a faster lens for a given hole size.

Also, you'll need to allow space (approximately 1/4") around the edge so you can access the air tube connection on the inside (assuming you mount the shutter internal and not front mount it which is an option). Some people modify their front standard to do this (through the side or top), but I prefer to come in from the front, using a small fitting glued to board. If the outside dimension of your board is 4x4 inches, you'll probably have to go with the 3-1/2 inch shutter, which has a 1-3/4 inch max opening (44.45mm). Divide that into whatever focal length your interested in, and that will tell you the max f/stop (approximately - there is some potential of blockage and thus a reduction in angle of coverage, which you can either be looked at as just that or a reduction in the max f/stop after stopping down to reduce/eliminate the blockage). Nice and simple, eh?:o

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 08:49

The three smallest shutters are 4", 3.5" and 3.25"; does that provide enough clearance, is my first question.

The largest lens I have is an F4 8.75". By my crude math, the opening is is 8.75" divided by 4, or 2.19". Since the shutter sits back further, I assume it has to be bigger than that, but I don't know by how much. Anyhow, since even the 4" shutter has an opening of only 2", there is no way I can use that lens wide open.

Uusilehto
21-Jun-2007, 08:50
Given the Sinar name, I assume they're not cheap, right? Do they work with other cameras?

I believe the full name is "Sinar Auto-aperture shutter". The idea is that if you buy the Sinar DB lens boards, you can buy all your lenses in barrels and use the Sinar shutter. Settings like shutter speed and aperture are visible and settable from behind the lens.

Here's how it works: Set the shutter speed and the aperture, focus from the GG, insert a film holder and the shutter automatically closes. Then you simply actuate the shutter with the (unfortunately proprietary) cable release. No looking at the lens from the front or above the camera.
I use the 1960's pre-DB version of this shutter. Fantastic little thing. Great for mounting barrel-lenses.

Here's a Sinar PDF with some info on it: http://www.johndesq.com/pinhole/manual/sinarbooster2.pdf

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 08:56
Also, you'll need to allow space (approximately 1/4") around the edge so you can access the air tube connection on the inside (assuming you mount the shutter internal and not front mount it which is an option). Some people modify their front standard to do this (through the side or top), but I prefer to come in from the front, using a small fitting glued to board. If the outside dimension of your board is 4x4 inches, you'll probably have to go with the 3-1/2 inch shutter, which has a 1-3/4 inch max opening (44.45mm). Divide that into whatever focal length your interested in, and that will tell you the max f/stop (approximately - there is some potential of blockage and thus a reduction in angle of coverage, which you can either be looked at as just that or a reduction in the max f/stop after stopping down to reduce/eliminate the blockage). Nice and simple, eh?:o

The front standard itself also blocks a bit of the lensboard. Is there typically enough room in a 4" field camera to accept a 3.5" packard?

Also, one of the articles mentioned drilling through the packard itself to provide for the outlet, which opens up the possibility of using a 4" packard on a 4" board. Possible?

For my 15" f11, the 3.5" should work; however for the 8.75" F4, the bigger the shutter the better.

Ernest Purdum
21-Jun-2007, 09:44
Shutters behind the lensboard are really at their best on cameras with really large lensboards. Since you are limited to 4" X 4", you would probably be better off to consider another alternative.

If you go back to the Forum homepage and scroll down to "Accessories", you'll find an article containing more information on this subject than is feasible to provide here.

Nick_3536
21-Jun-2007, 11:47
You could always put the packard on the front of the lens.

I don't think it's right to worry about the aperture. What you need to worry about is the size of the glass at the back of the lens for rear mounting. Or the size at the front.

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 12:13
You could always put the packard on the front of the lens.

I don't think it's right to worry about the aperture. What you need to worry about is the size of the glass at the back of the lens for rear mounting. Or the size at the front.

How do you put the Packard in front of the lens??

Ash
21-Jun-2007, 12:24
How do you put the Packard in front of the lens??

Mount it using a bracket.

Packard shutters have screw holes on each corner, so you can make a rudimentary frame and then either mount a friction type bracket around the front of the barrel.

That would be doing the opposite of my packard shutter mod in my sig, where everything sits behind the lens.

Nick_3536
21-Jun-2007, 12:34
http://www.skgrimes.com/packard/index.htm

The bottom two lenses have the shutter front mounted.

How you do it depends on how often you want to remove the shutter.

I bet you could build a little box with set screws that attached to the front of the lens. This way you could remove the shutter and use it on a different lens.

Paul Metcalf
21-Jun-2007, 12:51
Also, one of the articles mentioned drilling through the packard itself to provide for the outlet, which opens up the possibility of using a 4" packard on a 4" board. Possible? I guess since the shutter is square and the opening is round, there might be room in the corner to drill through without damaging the internal mechanism. What article are you talking about?

Never mind - I found it.

Ash
21-Jun-2007, 12:57
You can enlarge one of the corners to allow the air-tubing to poke through, rather than make a separate recess/area for it.

I forget which corner, but one has enough clearance to be enlarged to tubing-size.

Rider
21-Jun-2007, 18:31
How about installing the Packard Shutter outsie the camera but behind the lens (for example, between the lens and the lensboard)? That way, you're not limited by the size of the board. Anyone try that?