PDA

View Full Version : Print Presale Announcement

David R Munson
20-Jun-2007, 12:28
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I am running a print presale for images that will be made on my trip to Mongolia in July. Full information can be found here on my web site (http://www.davidrmunson.com/convergence/?page_id=53). All proceeds help pay for materials for the trip as well as making sure I don't go totally bankrupt some time in August from taking two weeks off of work. :) Your help is immensely appreciated. Existing bodies of work can be reviewed here (http://www.davidrmunson.com/folio/folio.html).

claudiocambon
20-Jun-2007, 12:44
Good luck!! I hope the trip and the sale work out. Happy photographing!

David R Munson
9-Jul-2007, 09:20
Just wanted to bump this once before I leave for my trip. Saturday morning I depart! So, things are coming down to the wire. If you are inclined to purchase a print, now is the time to do it! :)

David R Munson
10-Oct-2007, 16:18
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2388/1509726346_8cd2cb4f1d.jpg
©2007 David R Munson

An update. I have finished working through my images from Mongolia, and am getting ready to start printing twelve images from the series. These are available in editions of 25 8x10" Ultrachrome prints each. More information can be found here (http://www.davidrmunson.com/convergence/?p=101).

tim atherton
10-Oct-2007, 16:23
nice series...

gr82bart
11-Oct-2007, 17:56
These are nice very images. Too bad the prints are inkjets.

Regards, Art.

paulr
11-Oct-2007, 21:49

Regards, Art.

The man is trying to sell some work. Isn't there a better place to troll?

tim atherton
11-Oct-2007, 22:05

Regards, Art.

yeah - hell - he's just trying to copy Irving Penn and William Eggleston with them cheap n' tacky inkjet prints...

Greg Lockrey
11-Oct-2007, 23:41

Regards, Art.

What's wrong with inkjets? They'll out last cibiachrome or silver for that matter..

domenico Foschi
12-Oct-2007, 01:30
Great work, David,
too bad they are not albumen prints. :D

kjsphotography
12-Oct-2007, 01:46
What's wrong with inkjets? They'll out last cibiachrome or silver for that matter..

Really? Prove it. Show me an inkjet print that is over 100 years old. Ok, how about 50? Didnt think so, how about 20? Nope cant either.

Inkjets will not out live silver gelatin and that is a fact.

I really hope you were only joking with your statement.

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2007, 01:54
Really? Prove it. Show me an inkjet print that is over 100 years old. Ok, how about 50? Didnt think so, how about 20? Nope cant either.

These things are measurable and using a little known subject called mathmatics can be interpolated out to 100-200 years.

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2007, 01:57
Great work, David,
too bad they are not albumen prints. :D

Oh I really like albumen prints too. Photography went down hill after that method fell out of favor. Along with glass plates and stereo images.

gr82bart
12-Oct-2007, 02:24
Oiy. :rolleyes:

Regards, Art. (Some of you guys make me laugh silly)

David R Munson
12-Oct-2007, 09:53
I have no darkroom and a couple of the originals are digital anyway, so silver prints are not an option. Besides, I like inkjet prints. The look I can get with them complements my work. These will be Ultrachrome K3 prints on archival paper - about as stable as you're going to get. If people don't like that they're inkjets, they don't have to buy them, it's that simple. :)

Jorge Gasteazoro
12-Oct-2007, 11:04
These things are measurable and using a little known subject called mathmatics can be interpolated out to 100-200 years.

Interpolations are not proofs but educated guesses. Given the many variables involved when displaying photographs it is impossibly to state with a 100% certainty that the prints will last this long without fading.

People, I beleive Art was being sarcastic, as I understand it he also does ink jet prints.

QT Luong
12-Oct-2007, 12:28

It's not, and neither is the opposite statement. The person who is considered most authoritative on print permanence states that inkjet would last longer. He may be right or wrong, and that's everyone's choice to trust him, or to trust other fellow photographers. Jorge is correct that it is not mathematics.

kjsphotography
12-Oct-2007, 14:13

And the sheep continue to follow blindly...

Oren Grad
12-Oct-2007, 14:53
Kevin -

I love silver prints. I dislike monochrome inkjets. But if you want the "truth", it's that we have no idea how long today's silver prints, using today's emulsions coated on today's paper bases, are going to last, and whether they'll last longer than the most stable of today's monochrome inkjet prints. The fact that we have really old silver prints tells us nothing much, both because we don't know what survival fraction that represents and because today's prints aren't being made on yesterday's papers.

I print on silver because I prefer the way my pictures look on silver. I think everybody else should print on the materials that best suit their taste. David's choice for his work is as legitimate as any other.

tim atherton
12-Oct-2007, 15:23

I can show you a hell of a lot of silver gelatin, albumen and other prints that are 50 or 100 or so years old - and are basically a big pile of powder

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2007, 15:42
I have no darkroom and a couple of the originals are digital anyway, so silver prints are not an option. Besides, I like inkjet prints. The look I can get with them complements my work. These will be Ultrachrome K3 prints on archival paper - about as stable as you're going to get. If people don't like that they're inkjets, they don't have to buy them, it's that simple. :)

Aside from the contraversy started here, your trip is one that has always facinated me. I can't explain why but the Mongolian Steps have always facinated me along with the nomadic people living on them. I'm looking forward to your book.

Jorge Gasteazoro
12-Oct-2007, 16:51
All I did was ask to Art's remark about inkjet was "what was wrong with inkjet?". And then KJS started running his tongue. Yeah it's me...and don't forget it.

He did not run his mouth any more than you did. You cannot prove cathegorically that ink jet prints will last 100 to 200 years. Some of you who used them are wishing they do, but until they are 100 or 200 years nobody can tell for sure.

As for the mathematics, if you were to account for all the variables possible when showing photographs you would have to create a matrix so big that it would be impossible to find a resolution. The variables that Wilhelm uses in his tests are very simple and not an indication of what happens in the real world. For example, I beleive he uses some gases to conduct his tests, this is very different from using vapors. Gases while in contact with the print are very fugitive, they do not deposit on the print as vapors do. It is possible that the chemical content of the vapors that deposit on the print can react to produce aditivity, making the fading process develop much faster.

Pigments like carbon black, ferric oxide are very fade resistant, so it is possible that ink jet prints that are black and white will last longer than those in color, but combination pigments like yellow, green and blue do fade and will fade so it is unlikely that color ink jets will last 100 years, but then neither do color prints.

You did not only ask what was wrong with ink jet, you stated they will outlast silver prints...how do you know this? Have you seen any ink jet print that is as old as some silver prints? who is the big mouth now?

David R Munson
12-Oct-2007, 17:41
OK, this is just getting stupid. It was an announcement, not a debate. Someone just lock this thread already...

Jorge Gasteazoro
12-Oct-2007, 17:50
OK, this is just getting stupid. It was an announcement, not a debate. Someone just lock this thread already...

Sorry David, no need to lock it. I wish you luck with the sales.

David R Munson
12-Oct-2007, 17:54
Thanks. I'm not blaming anyone, but this just isn't where this thread was meant to go.

Jorge Gasteazoro
12-Oct-2007, 17:56
Thanks. I'm not blaming anyone, but this just isn't where this thread was meant to go.

I now, one bad joke was taken wrong and things went out of wack....anyhow, the way you chose to print does not matter, I think you got some very nice shots and I do wish you success with the sales, I know how hard it can be.. :)

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2007, 20:02
Yeah...I'm a diabetic and sometimes my sugar gets a little low and I eat too much candy to compensate. And I get carried away a little. Hope that your sales get a good start despite us. ;)

Dave Wooten
12-Oct-2007, 20:46
Nice work David, and thanks for sharing your project.

The images speak well.:)

David R Munson
12-Oct-2007, 21:05
The full set of images can be found here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrmunson/sets/72157600582786271/). The first link on page one is just the images available as prints.