PDA

View Full Version : Polarizer: linear or circular

J.L. Frost
28-Jun-2000, 22:07
Can anyone tell me if I can use a circular polerizer on my large format camera o r must I buy a linear polarizer? Thanks .... Jack

Ray Dunn
28-Jun-2000, 22:19
Either one will work fine, but the circular polarizer will be more expensive than the linear. Circular polarizers were developed for use in cameras with split-beam focusing or metering. I'll bet your LF camera has neither. Buy the linear. I'm very pleased with my B+W (linear) polarizer, highly recommended.

Scott Walton
29-Jun-2000, 09:50
I have to agree. I too went with the B+W filters and they are great. If you have the circular, there is no need to get a linear. Cheers, Scott

William Marderness
29-Jun-2000, 13:32
I read in the Heliopan instructions for their linear polarizer that the linear polarizer is more effective than the circular at removing reflections, so get the linear.

Gerald Trutnau
5-Sep-2000, 05:56
I will answer to all of you. It is true that linear polarizers in general remove better reflections, but they do not seperate the colours as well as circular polarizers. So, if you are working with a colour film and colour seperation is your first aim then take a circular polarizer. If you only want to remove (as much as possible) reflections take a linear polarizer.