PDA

View Full Version : Older Arca Swiss Leather Wide Angle Bellows Repair

gmanphotog
20-Jun-2007, 00:49
I have an old style Arca Swiss camera with leather wide angle bellows that are separating from their bellows frames and causing light leaks. The glue that held them in place is rotting and they need to be reglued to their frames. It looks like a simple enough repair I could do myself, but what type of glue should I use?

Or is this something I'd best leave to a professional repairer? It looks simple, but I don't want to ruin my bellows- they're light tight and in good shape except for the separation. And I doubt I could find replace them easily, short of having a new set fabricated.

If you do recommend I have it repaired by a professional, what camera repair shop do you advocate in the Chicago area where I could get it back as soon as possible? It's gonna be a beautiful day tomorrow (today actually) and I hate the fact I'm not going to be out shooting. :(

Edwin Lachica
20-Jun-2007, 01:00
You can use an all purpose contact cement. Follow the directions in the package. If the old glue used was also contact cement, it should be easy enough to clean off just by slowly peeling it off from the frame, then remove the glue residue by rubbing it off with your fingers. Good luck.

gmanphotog
20-Jun-2007, 01:15
Thanks for the quick reply Edwin. Should I prep the surface of the leather with alcohol?

nehartmannn
20-Jun-2007, 06:32
Gman......
Drink the alcohol and use some leathepolish for the camera......

Edwin Lachica
20-Jun-2007, 07:32
Alcohol will make the leather brittle. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth would be fine to clean the leather.