PDA

View Full Version : IR 4x5 film

radchad
18-Jun-2007, 21:03
i saw that rollei made 4x5 IR film. I really loved kodaks HIE, and was wondering if anyone has used the rollei film? If so, can you tell me how you'd use it? How would you know how to focus? would you use f64 or what? also how would you tell if your camera is IR light proof?
thanks
chad

vinny
18-Jun-2007, 21:36
Focus shift can/will depend on what lens you're using. I contacted schneider about this once and the numbers i got were not enough to be concerned about. That was for a modern apo symmar. Stopping down to f64 will give you softer results than if you treated it as any other film. I haven't used the rollei but have used the maco/efke with decent results. Konica 750 is/was my favorite.

Ralph Barker
19-Jun-2007, 06:34
. . . also how would you tell if your camera is IR light proof?

The less expensive way would be to tape some 35mm film (same brand as you plan to use in 4x5) inside the holders. Use one to test the holders (not all are IR proof) and one to test the camera's bellows (darkslide pulled, but shutter closed). For the holder test, remember where the film strip is, and shade part of it with a piece of wood or metal, leaving the holder in the sun for a few minutes (15 or so, to simulate normal handling time). Similar timing should work for the camera test, as well.