PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff & 110XL Schneider...

Capocheny
17-Jun-2007, 00:58
Just a question for users of the the Deardorff 8x10 and/or Dorff 5x7/4x5 cameras...

Do any of you use a Schneider 110XL with either of the above cameras?

Reason for my question is that I'm finding it a bit of a challenge to focus because of the thickness of the bellows... so, I've been tossing the idea of having Richard Ritter modify the cameras to accept wide angle bellows (if this is even possible.)

That said... the board I'm using is NOT a recessed board. So I may give this a go prior to approaching Richard.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Cheers

Kevin Crisp
17-Jun-2007, 06:28
Assuming you have the front standard tilted back into what DD called the "wide angle position," with the lens panel then tilted parallel to the back, this shouldn't be a problem at all when it comes to focusing. Yes, using front rise could be a little tricky (stiff) but you can get movement and lock it down. I think your bellows may be thicker and stiffer than it needs to be; you don't need a special wide angle bellows, just something more modern. I most often did this with the bellows I got from Western Bellows in California and had no problems with it. The current DD bellows as sold by Jack (with a narrow straight section at the front) can do this with no problems. I don't know who makes that for him.

Hugo Zhang
17-Jun-2007, 10:28
The widest lens I can use with my Deardorff is 150mmXL. The thickness of bellows is one issue, another issue is the the metal parts for the front standard swing would block the rear standard on its tracks. Too bad. I have been thinking about buying another 8x10 to use my 13cm Perigon lens.

Eric Woodbury
17-Jun-2007, 10:51
I use it on a 57. No problem. I actually use the 72mm, too. I tried the 58mm but couldn't get it to focus without putting the bellows in a vice.

Paul O
17-Jun-2007, 10:59
Hi. I made a simple recessed lens panel in order to use the 110XL on a Deardorff 10x8 V8 - no problems with focus ... but the image circle of the lens means that there are only the tiniest of movements available!

Brian Ellis
17-Jun-2007, 11:22
I'd think long and hard before junking your heavy bellows. My first Deardorff had the heavy bellows on it and I never had to worry about the bellows sagging and getting into the photograph. My second Deardorff had a lighter weight bellows on it and I used to have to carry an empty film box around with me that I put under the bellows to keep it from sagging into the picture when using lenses in the 300mm and up range. I always regretted selling that first camera with the heavier bellows.

Capocheny
17-Jun-2007, 11:53
Thanks for all the great responses...

Hugo, you're absolutely right about the metal parts running into each other.

Kevin, after a bit of playing around... I did find the "wide-angle position" as you described above. I can now get things into focus but, as you mentioned, it's a bit tricky to much movement out of it. But, at least it works now. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Eric, are you using a recessed board for the 72?

Paul, will try mounting my 110 in a recessed board and give it a try on the 8x10 again.

Brian, my bellows is the thicker one that refuses to compress much when the standards are close together. But, I agree with your comment - they're pretty much self-supporting and don't give much sag at all... even when stretched out.

Again, thanks for the input... much appreciated it! :)

Cheers

Eric Woodbury
17-Jun-2007, 12:24
Capocheny, No. It is a flat board. Recessed boards I find to be a pain. I don't have a lot of movement, but my subject matter doesn't care. The 58mm would take a recessed board and it would clip the corners, but only slightly. I don't use the 58 with 57, it was just an experiment.

Jeremy Moore
17-Jun-2007, 18:24
I've used down to a 47mm on my 4x5/5x7 deardorff with a recessed board. Use a 90mm on a flat board all the time.

Kevin Crisp
17-Jun-2007, 19:09
I should have mentioned that I was talking about the Special, not the 8X10. The "wide angle position" isn't my idea, that is what DD called it and it was illustrated in their literature.