PDA

View Full Version : How to remove stuck front cell from Copal 1?

Steve Goldstein
16-Jun-2007, 13:00
I've got a like-new 300mm Fujinon-C with a front cell I can't remove from the shutter. I tried the rubber-sheet-bottle-opener trick without success - I just can't get enough purchase on the shutter body itself to apply the needed torque, there are too many fragile little levers in the way. Any other suggestions? It's definitely not cross-threaded, just really tight. I don't need to be able to remove it, but since I plan to sell the lens the stuckness might be viewed as detracting from its value.

Sheldon N
16-Jun-2007, 13:20
I've never found the need to remove the front cells from any of my lenses. I would say it's not really an issue for resale value.

Gene McCluney
16-Jun-2007, 19:27
You need a "flexi-clamp" for the lens element. I have a set, and they always do the job. They will not scratch the outside surface of the lens cell. Here is a link:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=FLX

Mike Davis
17-Jun-2007, 08:54
a strap wrench works great for this sort of thing. No scratching and good leverage.

Mike

Paul Fitzgerald
17-Jun-2007, 09:29
Steve,

" I just can't get enough purchase on the shutter body itself to apply the needed torque, there are too many fragile little levers in the way."

If it needs that much torque, someone may have put 'lock-tite' on the threads, try a few drops of acetone first. That much torque can twist the shutter body or worse shear the tiny retaining screws for the front plate. I agree with Sheldon, if you don't need to don't bother.

Just a thought.

scrichton
17-Jun-2007, 12:56
hammer and chisel?