PDA

View Full Version : Deep Tank 5x7 Fomapan 200 processing issues.

Gene McCluney
16-Jun-2007, 09:45
I have been shooting Forte 200 lately in 4x5 and processing on stainless steel film hangers in a 3.5 gallon tank of HC-110b with good results.

I got some Arista.edu.ultra (Fomapan 200) IN 5X7 and tried in HC-100b, same technique as Forte 200 and I found the negatives were too contrasty at 5 minutes development, and I hesitate to go less because of possible processing inconsistencies.

So..I mixed up a 3.5 gallon tank of my old standby D-76, which seems to work well with almost anything, and have now processed 2 runs (of 14 sheets each), and while the negatives have good tonality, I seem to be getting some "mottling" in the even toned sky areas. Between the first batch of processing, and the second batch of 14 sheets (on 5x7 stainless steel hangers), I modified my agitation technique to see if that would make a difference, it did not. The mottling looks "somewhat" like the streaks one can get from the holes on the film hangers, but I have never got them on other film sizes processed in identical design (but different size) film hangers.

Is Fomapan 200 known for issues like this?

I need to use deep tank processing, because the projects I want to shoot 5x7 on require larger quantities of shots, and it would take forever to do 3 or 4 sheets at a time in a tray. I do not have a problem with 4x5 or 8x10 deep tank processing, I have been doing this for almost 30 years.

I always use a 4 minute water presoak, and for the Fomapan 200 I have been developing for 5 to 6 minutes in D-76 at about 72 degrees. (room temp). Then into a acid stop bath, then into Kodak rapid-fix with hardener, lights on after one minute in fix. Film is clear when I turn lights on.

Any advice would be helpful. I suspect it is just the budget priced filmstock, but I hope I can resolve the issue.

Scott --
16-Jun-2007, 10:26
I do Arista.EDU Ultra in HC-110 dil H. Think, for 200, it was something like 11:30 at 20C. No problems here.

Gene McCluney
16-Jun-2007, 11:03
I do Arista.EDU Ultra in HC-110 dil H. Think, for 200, it was something like 11:30 at 20C. No problems here.

You fill a deep tank with HC-110 dilution H?? My question is specifically targeted to developing in Deep Tanks on stainless hangers, as that is they method I have to use because of the quantity of film I expose.

Scott --
16-Jun-2007, 12:29
You fill a deep tank with HC-110 dilution H?? My question is specifically targeted to developing in Deep Tanks on stainless hangers, as that is they method I have to use because of the quantity of film I expose.

My bad, though I will say (and I guess was pointing out indirectly) that, IIRC, I've read about problems with Fomapan in dil B due to the rapid development. Dil H was recommended me to slow things down. Sorry if that's not what you were looking for.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2007, 12:58
Fomapan 200 is (said to be) a designer grain film, broadly similar to T-Max or Delta. As such, it's likely to show bromide and iodide build-up and will tend to do better in phenidone-based developers, which are less sensitive to bromide levels, than in metol-based D-76, especially with a developing process that can tend toward streaks anyway. You probably haven't seen the streaks others report from hangers because you're used to using HC-110, while those who see streaks likely use D-76.

For whatever it's worth, Kodak has replenishment information for HC-110 in dilutions to 1+47 (Dilution E), which would add about 50% to your process time compared to Dilution B and avoid going under five minutes. If it keeps well enough to replenish, it should work in deep tanks...

Gene McCluney
16-Jun-2007, 14:46
Fomapan 200 is (said to be) a designer grain film, broadly similar to T-Max or Delta. As such, it's likely to show bromide and iodide build-up and will tend to do better in phenidone-based developers, which are less sensitive to bromide levels, than in metol-based D-76, especially with a developing process that can tend toward streaks anyway. You probably haven't seen the streaks others report from hangers because you're used to using HC-110, while those who see streaks likely use D-76.

For whatever it's worth, Kodak has replenishment information for HC-110 in dilutions to 1+47 (Dilution E), which would add about 50% to your process time compared to Dilution B and avoid going under five minutes. If it keeps well enough to replenish, it should work in deep tanks...

I wonder if I would experience the same problems with Fomapan 100??

Your information is very useful to me. I have had very good results over the years developing other brands of b/w film in deep tank D-76, though.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2007, 19:47
I expect Foma 100 would act just like other conventional grain films -- it certainly does for me, and it's the only ISO 100 B&W film I have around, in 35 mm, 120, 9x12 cm, and 4x5. It's certainly cheap enough to get a box and try it (the 100 sheet boxes, relabeled as .EDU Ultra from Freestyle, cost about the same as a 25 sheet box of FP4+ or Delta 100).

FWIW, I've processed Foma 100 in HC-110 at dilutions F and G, Parodinal 1:50, and Diafine, and it looks great in all of them (though it only gains about 2/3 to 1 stop in Diafine, unlike the 1 2/3 to 2 stops Kodak's conventional grain films pick up). I use Parodinal almost exclusively now, because the results are excellent and it's *extremely* cheap (55 cents worth of ingredients will make 5 liters of working solution at 1:50, so your deep tank would cost about $2.25 to fill -- you probably spend that on replenisher after a batch of film with HC-110).

seawolf66
20-Jul-2007, 19:28
Fomapan film 4x5 or other size HC-110 NR: see below

DEVELOPING INSTRUCTIONS
Foma B&W film is compatible with all major processing systems. Recommended developing times are
for normal contrast negatives (based on intermittent agitation.) All developing times are standardized
for 68°F / 20°C. Your developing time may vary based on environment and equipment used.
DEVELOPER DILUTION TIME @ 68°F / 20°C
DEVELOPER DILUTION TIME @ 68°F / 20°C
Arista® 76 Powder Stock 5 - 6
Arista® 76 Powder 1:1 8 - 9
Arista® Premium Powder Stock 7
Arista® Premium Powder 1:1 8
Arista® Liquid Film Developer Working Solution 7 1/2
Arista® Premium Liquid Developer 1:9 7 1/2
Marathon® Film Developer 1:9 5
Ilford ID-11, Kodak D-76 Stock 5 - 6
Ilford ID-11, Kodak D-76 1:1 8 - 9
Kodak XTOL (Straight) 6
Kodak TMAX Developer 1:4 5 - 6
Kodak HC 110 1:31 NR
Agfa Rodinal 1:25 5

Recommended Agitation: Agitate continuously for first 30 seconds of development, then provide agitation
of 5 to 7 inversion cycles for 5 seconds every 30 seconds for remainder of development time.
Where continuous agitation is used for rotary processor, reduce the developing times by 15%.
Development times may need adjusting to suit individual processing systems and working practices.
If an established system is producing good results, adjust the recommended development times until
the desired contrast is obtained.
This material will be replaced if found defective in manufacture, labeling or packaging. Except for
such replacement, this product is sold without warranty or other liability. Developer and film manufacturers
can and do change their product specifications from time to time and the development times
may change as a result.