PDA

View Full Version : Please help identify Oregon Coast spot

QT Luong
15-Jun-2007, 18:33
Does someone know the location of the following picture ? http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-west/oregon/picture.usor8330.html

Please don't reply "ask the photographer" since all I remember is Southern Half of Oregon :-)

Scott Knowles
16-Jun-2007, 06:32
I'm curious too, and thinking out loud I would venture the guess of Nellies Point outside of Port Orford. There aren't many places on the southern Oregon coast which are "rugged" like the image, and the mountain in the distance may be part of Humbug Mountain and the State Park. Good luck.

Ralph Barker
16-Jun-2007, 06:39
Have you tried the zoomable aerial images at "Google Earth" to narrow down the location, Tuan? Not sure if it would work for your purpose, but it might be worth a try.

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 07:10
Looks very similar to the area south of Canon Beach, OR, there are several areas along the coast that you could get images of this nature, but for some reason, this particular area looks like the area south of the Canon Beach Formations.

Dave

Brian Ellis
16-Jun-2007, 07:37
I'd guess like Scott, it looks like Port Orford. I don't think it's Cannon Beach (among other reasons, you said southern half of Oregon and Cannon Beach is at the north end).

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 07:59
There are couple of areas that I hiked into when I lived in OR south of Canon Beach that has formations like this, but that has been over 15 years ago, so I am sure I am probably wrong...I sent an email to a friend of mine who is an expert on the OR coast with a link to the picture to see if he can identify the area this was taken in.

Dave

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 08:21
Well here is what my friend has emailed back to me:

"Samuel Boardman State Park is my guess,

Southern Oregon Coast (my favorite area on Oregon's coast) between Gold Beach and Brookings. Boardman is a really long strip of Hwy 101 with several day use and hiking areas, no camping areas. The vistas are beautiful and rocky. The photo in the link looks like winter. In the summer the ocean is a beautiful dark green, more often than not. I could be wrong about this location, of course, but if you like this type of seascape, you cannot do better than Port Orford to just north of Brookings. At Brookings the whole thing flattens out for a while till you get into the Redwoods."

Dave

Brian Ellis
16-Jun-2007, 10:12
Boardman is an 11 mile strip between Gold Beach and Brookings. It's a beautiful area and somewhere in there could certainly be the location of the photograph. I was just there a couple weeks ago and don't remember anything that looked like this but then I was only interested in areas that provided beach access and most of the pull-offs in the Boardman area are just viewpoints so I didn't spend much time in most of them.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2007, 13:39
That's south of Haystack Rock a bit, which would be a ways north of Cannon Beach.

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 14:42
That's south of Haystack Rock a bit, which would be a ways north of Cannon Beach.

Donald,

I am confused, Haystack Rock is right on the beach at Canon Beach? They are pretty much one in the same, in fact at low tide, you can walk out to haystack from the beach..

http://www.cannon-beach.net/cbhaystack.html

Dave

Sheldon N
16-Jun-2007, 14:54
Donald,

I am confused, Haystack Rock is right on the beach at Canon Beach? They are pretty much one in the same, in fact at low tide, you can walk out to haystack from the beach..

Dave

And Cannon Beach is about as far north up the Oregon coast as you can get. Some parts can look similar to the southern Oregon coast, though.

Dave Parker
16-Jun-2007, 15:01
It is 21 miles from Astoria to Cannon Beach, so it is quite a ways north, but I originally posted that it look like an area that I visited SOUTH of Cannon beach when I lived in Oregon, but I think there have been a couple of posts as well as the response that my friend sent me, that pretty much nailed the location down.

Dave

Brian Ellis
16-Jun-2007, 18:04
Donald,

Dave

I agree, Donald's message is puzzling. Also, Tuan said the location is in the southern half of the Oregon coast and Cannon Beach is well up in the northern half.

Donald Qualls
16-Jun-2007, 19:54
Sigh.

Obviously been *far* too long since I drove the Oregon coast (well, okay, it *has* been about fifteen years since I was last there)...

I recall a rock that looked like those pictures of Haystack, maybe bigger (had soil and grass on top, but was connected to the mainland at all tide levels) that's almost within sight of the view in question -- there's a rather treacherous trail from Hwy. 101 down to the beach at or very near the location where the photograph was made, with warnings that the beach can disappear completely in a very high tide or storm as well as signage warning about the trail itself (apparently, the S&R folks have to pull someone out of there every few months).

I'm sure it's north of Bandon; the coast south of there is sandy rather than steep. And it'd be south of the big dune field near Newport. That's as narrow as I can get it readily -- maybe Google Earth or Terraserver can give a good enough aerial to nail it?

Edit: Okay, it *has* been too long since I was there. Terraserver shows shoreline around Humbug Mountain that'd be correct for that view and sun angle -- and I give up trying to identify locations if they're not outside my window or in the near environs of Seattle... :eek:

QT Luong
17-Jun-2007, 10:01
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Based on travel memories, I'm positive it is south of Bandon.

I found a wider view that shows the same trees and coastline shot across a cove:
http://www.terragalleria.com/america/north-west/oregon/picture.usor11539.html
Does that help ?

Brian Ellis
17-Jun-2007, 12:33
With the benefit of the second photograph I have to back off of Port Orford. The second photograph looks much "wilder" than anything I remember at Port Ordord. So I'll now change my guess and go along with the suggestion that it's an area within the Samuel Boardman State Park. Unfortunately I have no idea which one.

David Henderson
18-Jun-2007, 04:14
I've answered this on Photo.net as well, but in case others are interested:- I'm pretty sure this is Spruce rock in the Samuel H Boardman Scenic Corridor between Gold Beach and Brookings and about five miles south of Pistol River. I think the foreground rock on the second picture is Arch Rock. If I'm right there is a short trail heading off to the right of the second picture which offers a somewhat overgrown and obstructed view of the next bay north.