PDA

View Full Version : 8x 10 film washer

James Olson
15-Jun-2007, 17:29
I just got an 8 x 10 camera and would like to know what is best to use to wash the film. I have a very basic print washer which is just a tray with a hose that attaches to the faucet. Should one use an archival print washer ?
thanks
Jim Olson

cyrus
15-Jun-2007, 17:49
I just got an 8 x 10 camera and would like to know what is best to use to wash the film. I have a very basic print washer which is just a tray with a hose that attaches to the faucet. Should one use an archival print washer ?
thanks
Jim Olson

Just don't scratch the neg and let it soak long enough, and the print washer you have should work just fine. The washer itself isn't what makes it archival, really. "Archival washers" just have the benefit of washing more prints efficiently, that's all. Point is to remove the hypo.

I use hypo remover and do a final wash in distilled water to avoid watermarks instead of using fotoflo.

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2007, 19:05
What cyrus said. Of course this also depends on your work flow, what facilities are available (I knew of a guy in college who used the floor of his shower) and if you're on a water meter.

Versa-lab makes a tough, low cost film/print washer and if you find that you're having to wash twenty or more sheets of film or prints in the course of a session it can be a real time saver. You can also make your own washer---I'm sure there are plans & suggestions on the web. ....Hmmmm I wonder if I can fit 8x10 film hangers in a toilet tank??? :D

Michael Kadillak
15-Jun-2007, 20:13
I washed my sheet film in trays and then in dedicated print washers for quite some time until I found the best solution for me.

Alistair Inglis makes an acrylic 6 sheet 8x10 film washer that does several things about as good as they can be done. First, with a nominal water flow, it accomplishes a directed cross jet flow from both sides of the washer that creates turbulence and washes film in a very short time with a minimum amount of water. Secondly, it is small, very light weight and made out of acrylic for about $200. My Uncle used to say that there is nothing quite as effective as the right tool for the job and this washer is the ticket for the very important task of washing your sheet film so that they never touch other sheets. I now have purchased a dedicated Crossjet washer for 5x7, 8x10 and 8x20 that I use at least two times a week or more.

Cheers!

Sal Santamaura
16-Jun-2007, 05:49
Another enthusiastic vote for the Inglis washers. I've got them in 5x7 and 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, both for out-of-sink use. Great design and great responsiveness from Alistair.