PDA

View Full Version : flange/jam nut alternative for about $1!

John Kasaian
14-Jun-2007, 09:57
I took a field trip to the hardware store today to see what in blazes I could use to fabricate a flange or jamb nut for my 178mm Aero Ektar. One of the guys suggested a toilet tank to bowl washer from the plumbing department and----it works great! If you have an approx. 3" dia flangeless barrel lens you want to fit onto a lensboard check this out:

thriftco part # 525-T

It is a thick tapered rubber washer that holds even the behemoth nuclear fired A-E tightly to the graphic "C" board (a slight trim is needed to clear the light trap on each side on the lensboard--about a 16th on an inch---easily accomplished with an exacto knife.)

Cheers!:D

Walter Calahan
14-Jun-2007, 10:44
Wow. Cool.

I made working flanges from the lens cone that came with lens off the K-24 camera. All I needed was a drill and a big file.

I'll have to look into the bowl washer idea.

vinny
14-Jun-2007, 10:47
That's the great thing about real hardware stores as apposed to home crepot, they can be helpful. My local osh has everything.

John Kasaian
14-Jun-2007, 15:09
I should correct my original post---by "flangeless" I mean a lens needing a flange or jam nut to hold it onto the lensboard. Sorry for any confusion (but I was just so gosh darn excited about getting the A-E on board!) This is less messy than using gorilla caulk or construction adhesive.

Jim Rice
14-Jun-2007, 15:31
John is on a roll. Too cool.

Rafael Garcia
14-Jun-2007, 17:22
Look at my post on this very subject for another alternative.

Jim Galli
14-Jun-2007, 22:22
How cool is that! And you could use the tank painted black for a wide angle lens shade, and I'm wondering about making some film holders out of those toilet seats! Everything I need in one aisle. Sorry, John, it's late and I've had some vino you know.

I needed a large spacer to move an old Ross Petzval forward so it hit the lensboard right and didn't interfere with the Packard shutter. I'll admit to cutting a 3" ABS waste pipe coupling to the correct size. Once again, same aisle.

Bruce Schultz
15-Jun-2007, 06:50
Much of the time what I shoot ought to go through toilet plumbing.

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2007, 14:42
Much of the time what I shoot ought to go through toilet plumbing.

Bruce,

Try cutting back on the fiber!:rolleyes:

John Kasaian
15-Jun-2007, 14:48
How cool is that! And you could use the tank painted black for a wide angle lens shade, and I'm wondering about making some film holders out of those toilet seats! Everything I need in one aisle. Sorry, John, it's late and I've had some vino you know.

I needed a large spacer to move an old Ross Petzval forward so it hit the lensboard right and didn't interfere with the Packard shutter. I'll admit to cutting a 3" ABS waste pipe coupling to the correct size. Once again, same aisle.

Great minds think alike! I still have a couple of aerial film cans I fabricated out of ABS pipe---it is amazing how much they look like pipe bombs! Even more amazing is the lack of humor among airport security types!:eek:

Hmmm..,film holders out of toilet seats? I wonder...???

Randy H
15-Jun-2007, 15:52
Oh geez. I see another thread starting on a home-brewed ULF built from the plumbing aisle at Ace Hardware. I can see it now:
"Yep. The pictures may look a little crappy at first, butt hey, the vignetting from the padded seat is great!"

John Kasaian
25-Jun-2007, 08:40
ARRRGH! The thing is too thick to clear the circular light baffle on the speeder! I've trimmed it until there isn't enough rubber left to work properly---grrrr! OTOH if you have a camera without a circular light baffle the gasket would probably work just fine (I'm thinking a 24" Artar on the 'dorff) but for speeders and similar cameras, no way :(

Alan Davenport
25-Jun-2007, 09:45
Does the fresnel go inside the wax gasket, or outside?