PDA

View Full Version : Richard Avedon Flip Down Reading Glasses

Michael Kadillak
13-Jun-2007, 21:33
Now that I am at the age where I need reading glasses for viewing the ground glass, I believe that the flip down kind of these that Richard Avedon used would be fabulous. You wear the frames like regular glasses but the lenses flip down when you need then and up when you don't.

I have looked for them on the web and continue to not find what I am looking for. Anyone out there know where I can go to get these?

Best,

vinny
13-Jun-2007, 22:57
http://www.scheyden.com/lo/flip/index.html
These aren't what you're looking for but they may have your answer. It's the only flip ups i've seen that don't clip on existing eyewear.

Bruce Schultz
14-Jun-2007, 03:36
Try some of these. I have 2 pair and haven't lost them yet.

http://www.amazon.com/CliC-Adjustable-Connect-Reader-Strength/dp/B0006I8I0A/ref=tag_tdp_pop_dp/002-2378478-1441650

Nick_3536
14-Jun-2007, 03:49
I'm wondering what power people are using? These come in different strengths don't they?

Alan Rabe
14-Jun-2007, 04:47
I use a pair of clip ons that I got from Cabelas for 9.99. They come in two strengths 2.0x and 3.0x. I use the 3.0x as I want to be able to get as closs to the GG as possible. Their web site is www.Cabelas.com and the product is IH-711125. I'd put the link in but it's one of those super long ones.

Steve Clark
14-Jun-2007, 05:01
I don`t know how you feel about hats, but I have a pair of magnifiers that clip to the bill if my hat and fold up underneath when not in use. They come in different strengths also. They came from a local hobby shop, for about $16.oo. The benefit for me is that I can use my prescription glasses with them and have both hands free. Also, when you have as much hair as I do, a hat is a pretty handy thing to have. :D

Mick Fagan
14-Jun-2007, 05:12
I haven't a clue as to the kind of glasses Avedon used, but if you ask any middle to later aged woman who likes dressing up about your search, then I'm sure she would suggest you look at "Make-Up" glasses!

They all fold down, best of all you can fold down one side at a time.

Mick.

Frank Petronio
14-Jun-2007, 05:59
Oh geez I am borderline and so vain that I won't get readers but these are so nerdy they would be cool.

Horn rimmed ones. On my Segway. With the photo vest;-)

J_Tardiff
14-Jun-2007, 06:20
I'm actually about to try the Cabelas' flip downs because I always wear a ball cap while shooting.

HAH! Photo vests --- I was in B&H with my usual photography partner (16-yr-old daughter) and I wandered over to look at some vests after fighting off my Domke obsession for the 100th time. My girl calmly informed me that if I wore such a thing in public I had to find a new assistant.

Vain? Just a bit--- and it wasn't like I was going to make her wear it. Sheesh.

JT

Michael Kadillak
14-Jun-2007, 07:20
I haven't a clue as to the kind of glasses Avedon used, but if you ask any middle to later aged woman who likes dressing up about your search, then I'm sure she would suggest you look at "Make-Up" glasses!

They all fold down, best of all you can fold down one side at a time.

Mick.

Thanks, but make up glasses are not what I am looking for. When you watch baseball players in the field they have these frames that fit over the nose and they can flip the shades over their eyes up or down depending upon the conditions. I want the frames and have 1.25 to 1.5 power reading lenses instead of the shades that I can flip down or up without having to take them off. The objective is ease of use. I guess I could get get a neck strap as a last resort.

Avedon used these glasses for years and I realized that these would be the cats meow for View Camera users that require magnifiers.

Kevin Crisp
14-Jun-2007, 07:28
What power do people get? Stronger, then stronger, then stronger....

j.e.simmons
14-Jun-2007, 09:42
The baseball style frames are still made. I think you would have to have an optometrist make a set of reading glasses with those frames. I'd like to get a set, too.
juan

Tri Tran
14-Jun-2007, 21:50
Hi Micheal,
Send me a picture of the frame you like and your RX. I will get it done for you. Cheers. TT

Michael Kadillak
15-Jun-2007, 09:07
Hi Micheal,
Send me a picture of the frame you like and your RX. I will get it done for you. Cheers. TT

Thanks Tri. Send you an e-mail with the particulars.

Cheers!

Rob Vinnedge
15-Jun-2007, 09:17
Michael,

Someone suggested this option in an older thread about this subject. At first, I thought it was absolutely hilarious, but then I started to think that it might just work.

http://www.miami-med.com/heine_binocular_loupe.htm

Alan Rabe
15-Jun-2007, 12:00
The problem with the medical loupes is that they are just way too expensive and a good bit of overkill. The 3x flip downs work very well for my needs.

Richard Wasserman
15-Jun-2007, 13:16
I bought my loupe from Mcmaster-Carr. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for eyeglass loupes, they have several styles to choose from. I use their model number 1340T1 which is a 4x loupe that clips to my glasses-I like it a lot. It leaves my hands free and is always ready to use.

brianpark
22-Jul-2011, 19:23
Hello Folks!

I know this thread is relatively old but I wanted to let you guys know of a flip-up reading glasses I'm currently creating. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I believe my glasses may solve many of your existing problems.

Best,

Brian
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l561/brianwpark/mail.jpg

[/IMG]
Now that I am at the age where I need reading glasses for viewing the ground glass, I believe that the flip down kind of these that Richard Avedon used would be fabulous. You wear the frames like regular glasses but the lenses flip down when you need then and up when you don't.

I have looked for them on the web and continue to not find what I am looking for. Anyone out there know where I can go to get these?

Best,

lenser
22-Jul-2011, 20:19
Michael,

Have you checked with your optician or optommitrist? Mine was able to show me several different options in both style and attachment that ranged from simple reading glasses, to loupes, to surgical magnifiers.

Eric James
22-Jul-2011, 21:11
Clic glasses are handy under the cloth too:

http://www.clicgoggles.com/index.html

brianpark
22-Jul-2011, 21:28
Hey Eric. I was using a pair of Clics, but they didn't eliminate the long movement of taking the glasses on/off. And being that I moved around so much, having them swing back and forth was a bit frustrating as well.

Eric James
22-Jul-2011, 21:39
Have you tried flipping the lenses out with the temples still over your ears - its super dorky but nobody will recognize you if you also wear a mosquito head net :D

John Sexton
23-Jul-2011, 15:07
Hello Folks!

I know this thread is relatively old but I wanted to let you guys know of a flip-up reading glasses I'm currently creating. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I believe my glasses may solve many of your existing problems.

Best,

Brian

Brian,

These look terrific. I have rather thick (even with ultra-thin plastic) lenses. I would prefer a full frame on the basic lenses - rather than partial frame. Is that possible. Also, I have a terrible astigmatism, and find that rounder lenses work best for me. Is this possible? Ansel wore flip down magnifying glasses for years when hew was photographing - very easy and efficient.

Bob Salomon
23-Jul-2011, 16:47
Looks like the Hoodman glasses.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1067

brianpark
24-Jul-2011, 21:27
Appreciate the feedback John. I am in the process of developing various frame styles which include rounder frames. Hopefully if all goes well, I can have a final production frame by the year's end. I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Michael Rosenberg
25-Jul-2011, 11:29
Are these what you are looking for??
http://sightmart-eye-care-products.stores.yahoo.net/hama1.html[/URL]

And: http://www.debspecs.com/Clip-On-Flip-Up-Reading-Glasses-C104.aspx[/URL]

Jim Cole
25-Jul-2011, 12:33
Michael,

I was thinking about ordering a pair of these frames and then letting my optometrist fit them with my prescription lenses.

http://hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1067

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the previous mention of the Hoodman frames before I posted.

brianpark
1-Aug-2011, 06:57
How much would you pay for a pair of high-quality flip up reading glasses?

Michael Kadillak
1-Aug-2011, 07:24
How much would you pay for a pair of high-quality flip up reading glasses?

Since the lowest production cost per unit will come from largest number that could be committed to a manufacturer, the critical question is "What cost per unit would the market bear for this product to meet the various minimums and would it return on the investment?" In this day and age of internet marketing I continue to be amazed at the possibilities, but it still is a challenging proposition because of the business entry costs. It then becomes a niche or broader marketing question where the price point and the marketing strategy become the critical drivers. Unfortunately, the market has been saturated with similar products for as long as I can remember.

Jim Noel
5-Aug-2011, 08:41
A good optician should be able to order what you desire for you.

Dan Dozer
10-Aug-2011, 10:26
I was having the same issues and got a pair from my optomotrist. Spent a lot more for them than buying out of a catalog or at your local drug store. However, they were designed for my eyes. One bad thing with them is that they ride low on my lenses meaning that they won't work with bifocals. The glasses I use them with are non bifocals and are for distant viewing. I just flip them down when I need to view on the ground glass. I think mine are about a +4 magnification (focuses at around 7 - 8 inches away from the groundglass). Warning - if you wear these, make sure that you flip them up when you get out from behind the camera. Everything else is blurry with them and you might trip/fall if you try to walk with them down.

falth j
10-Aug-2011, 12:50
If you want to go first class...

Look at some of the dental supply distributors, some of them sell really nice flip-up eye pieces that dentist's use when they are prying out the gold from your teeth, or is it applying the gold to your teeth...

Anyway, those hummers are really first class, and you can get them in various strengths...

The price isn't bad either...

Once you've paid your dental bill, that is...

for dentists.

Joe Smigiel
11-Aug-2011, 09:59
If anyone just wants inexpensive, clip-on, flip-up magnifying lenses, look in a fabric shop or sewing department for sewing glasses.

brianpark
17-Aug-2011, 09:03
Appreciate the perspective. Being that my glasses are cheap to make (due to the tiny gears in the flip-up mechanism), I don't think I'm going to be able to make these glasses at an affordable price. But I'll keep you guys posted.

brianpark
26-Aug-2011, 18:50
Hi Guys!

As promised, I have some new information regarding Flip Frames. I cut up short video of my father (creator) explaining why he created Flip Frames in addition to some new pics and vids.

You can check them out at facebook.com/flipframes

Our goal is to get as many people as possible to 'like' the product. The more 'likes' we get, the more confidence it gives us to move forward with this project.

Again, we would greatly appreciate your support, so please 'like' the page to help get the word out there about these amazing reading glasses. I'll keep you posted on the manufacturing process and future design styles.

Best,

Brian

P.S. We're now in the process of creating Flip Frames 'Goggles'. Can you imagine the convenience that would be bring to hard-working manufacturing professionals!

brianpark
27-Aug-2011, 05:49
Hey Guys,

I've updated some new information regarding the flip up reading glasses my father and I created. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydiCMyt5IA

http://www.facebook.com/flipframes

Hope you like

Brian

John Sexton
27-Aug-2011, 09:00
The frames that you show have no corrective lens in place when flipped up. What I am looking for are frames that have your normal prescription lenses in place when flipped up, and then add additional close focus when in the down position. My former boss Ansel Adams used these, and frames such as this used to be available from opticians. They seem to be nearly impossible to find today.

DaveL
9-Sep-2011, 13:16
I'm actually about to try the Cabelas' flip downs because I always wear a ball cap while shooting.

HAH! Photo vests --- I was in B&H with my usual photography partner (16-yr-old daughter) and I wandered over to look at some vests after fighting off my Domke obsession for the 100th time. My girl calmly informed me that if I wore such a thing in public I had to find a new assistant.

Vain? Just a bit--- and it wasn't like I was going to make her wear it. Sheesh.

JT

I have been on the verge of replacing the Domke shooting vest that I "outgrew". It's in such good condition, though 20 years old, that I couldn't part with it.

A miracle occurred! (Weight Watchers). My vest fits again! I shall wear it even if it offends the fashion police. ;)

The folding readers interest me. The only way I manage to keep them handy is to buy sets of 3 or 5 pairs at Costco. I litter the house with them, and my equipment bags, and my Scott-E-Vest, and that's how I ensure that I have them handy.

So the reading glasses thread caught my eye... :)

DaveL

europanorama
22-Mar-2019, 01:46
I bought my loupe from Mcmaster-Carr. Go to www.mcmaster.com and search for eyeglass loupes, they have several styles to choose from. I use their model number 1340T1 which is a 4x loupe that clips to my glasses-I like it a lot. It leaves my hands free and is always ready to use. These are crap, i only have a monocular. Reason: one must always correct position, at least the monocular. the real loupe is sitting right in front of the eyeglasses i have a double-loupe and its no plastic. size is not covering full glasses. advantage seeeing other distances without lifting.
dont know at the moment where to get. around 20 euro. stamps-collectors-shop. must replace mine since mechanisme defective.

europanorama
22-Mar-2019, 01:55
The frames that you show have no corrective lens in place when flipped up. What I am looking for are frames that have your normal prescription lenses in place when flipped up, and then add additional close focus when in the down position. My former boss Ansel Adams used these, and frames such as this used to be available from opticians. They seem to be nearly impossible to find today.
was in a german optician shop.he told it could be possible to make. must get new glasses anyway. plus the clipon one. Zeiss made huge investments in new technologies.Fielmann now also has Zeiss(antiblue glasses)