PDA

View Full Version : Sinar lens boards and film holders

Stefan Lungu
13-Jun-2007, 04:50
Hello everybody,

I hope to be able to put together a little 4x5 kit around a Sinar F since I got a pretty good deal on one. What I am missing now are : lens board and film holders. That's why I wanted to ask the following questions :
1. Are ebay offers on 3rd party manufactured lens boards ok or shoud I look for a original Sinar lens board ( no DB lenses at least for now )?
2. What used holders for 4x5 are good/no problems ?
3. Are roll film holders of the type of the Calumet or Sinar Vario good ar should I look out for the Horsemann type ( the Sinar Vario is very expensive on the used market and would cost as much as camera + lens + tripod ) ?
Thanks, from a hopefully soon to be 4x5 shooter :)

Regards, Stefan

Mark Sampson
13-Jun-2007, 05:10
About question #2; all brands of 4x5 holders will work fine- if they are in good physical condition. Just avoid holders that have been worn out or abused. There are many, many good used ones to be had.

mikebarger
13-Jun-2007, 06:34
I've not had any problems with the third party boards. I have an old Singer 6x7 holder and it works fine.

Mike

Jerry Flynn
13-Jun-2007, 07:02
Horseman boards and bellows work fine on Sinars.

BradS
13-Jun-2007, 08:00
Genuine Sinar boards have been going so cheap on ebay that I don't know if I'd bother with the immitation lens boards. That said, I have a Bromwell board for Sinar that works just fine and looks pretty nice too. The Horseman boards are also fine.

dominikus bw
13-Jun-2007, 09:18
Hi Stefan
I also use Sinar F, I can share my experience to you
1. I have both and I didn't find any difference in use, but if you want to save weight, you can use 3rd party, original Sinar lens boards is more steady & rigit than 3rd party. But you can use this to save space http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-to-Linhof-Adapter-with-3-Linhof-lens-Boards_W0QQitemZ140120280500QQihZ004QQcategoryZ107928QQcmdZViewItem
2. As Mark said, try to find holders with good physical condition.
3. If money is not an issue to your bank account get one of Sinar Vario, I use Horseman back and had no problem with. Chinese manufacture also good choice if you want to save money
http://cgi.ebay.com/6x17-ROLL-film-back-for-Linhof-Sinar-Horseman-wista-617_W0QQitemZ140126120139QQihZ004QQcategoryZ627QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/6x12-612-Roll-Film-Back-Holder-for-Linhof-4x5_W0QQitemZ140126315257QQihZ004QQcategoryZ29982QQcmdZViewItem

Uusilehto
13-Jun-2007, 09:35
3. If money is not an issue to your bank account get one of Sinar Vario, I use Horseman back and had no problem with. Chinese manufacture also good choice if you want to save money

At the risk of looking like a complete newbie: How exactly are the Chinese roll film holders attached to the camera? Do the newer Sinars (Norma owner here) allow the user to remove the GG from the spring back (exposing a Graflok type mount?)?

Jerry Flynn
13-Jun-2007, 09:37
Lasse,

newer Sinars have international (Graflok) backs.

Neil Gordon
13-Jun-2007, 13:01
If you're interested in Sinar lens boards I have one each of Sinar, Horesman and generic. Please PM me. Regards, Neil

dominikus bw
13-Jun-2007, 16:15
At the risk of looking like a complete newbie: How exactly are the Chinese roll film holders attached to the camera? Do the newer Sinars (Norma owner here) allow the user to remove the GG from the spring back (exposing a Graflok type mount?)?

Lasse,

Like Jerry's said, newer Sinar have international backs, it is the same way if you use Sinar Vario or Horseman or others with international Graflok backs.
Do you mean to remove the GG only?
You don't need to remove the GG only but the hole set of the spring back is removed when I use horseman back.