PDA

View Full Version : Fixer: hardening vs non-hardening

Don Wallace
11-Jun-2007, 06:20
Do most of you use the same fixer, in different concentrations, for both paper and film? I recently switched from Kodafix to Ilford fixer (I forget which one, but it is non-hardening) and wound up with scratches on my film. I am not sure, but I suspect that the film got scratched during the washing and that this would have been prevented by using a hardening fixer. It was a large scratch, along the edge (fortunately since it can be cropped out). I rinse my film in a daylight tank with slots and I am thinking the scratch came from the edge of the slot.

Any thoughts on this? What do you guys use for film vs paper?

Louie Powell
11-Jun-2007, 06:24
I use the same fixer - Ilford - non-hardening.

The best way to avoid scratches is to be careful - very careful. I never, ever squeegee film! Roll film stays on the reel from presoak through final rinse in PhotoFlo, while sheet film is processed in a slosher with the film developed emulsion-side up so that nothing touches the emulsion except processing chemicals.

Don Wallace
11-Jun-2007, 06:49
I use the same fixer - Ilford - non-hardening.

The best way to avoid scratches is to be careful - very careful. I never, ever squeegee film! Roll film stays on the reel from presoak through final rinse in PhotoFlo, while sheet film is processed in a slosher with the film developed emulsion-side up so that nothing touches the emulsion except processing chemicals.

Louie, I have never got scratches like this before. It was only on two sheets out of three, but they were quite major, and along the edge of the neg.

Louie Powell
11-Jun-2007, 08:01
Don -

The first question that comes to mind is how do you know that those scratches resulted from a processing problem? Is it possible that there was a problem either loading or unloading the holders?

Brian Ellis
11-Jun-2007, 08:16
Same fix but different concentrations (1-4 film, 1-9 paper), no hardening for either one.

jnantz
11-Jun-2007, 08:23
i use sprint rapid fix 2:8 for film and paper without hardener ...
no problems with scratches -
(sometimes i process 28 sheets in a tray at once ... )

--john

Mike Davis
11-Jun-2007, 08:29
What film were you using?

I use a hardening fixer with known soft emulsions, Type 55 Polaroid for instance or Efke. On the other hand I have used standard rapid fix with Forte 200 (said by some to be soft) and never had a problem with it.

Mike

Bruce Barlow
11-Jun-2007, 09:38
Kodak mixed from powder for film - cheap, and five minutes like every other fixer I've seen. I've scratched one negative in 22 years of tray developing. I agree with emulsion side up.

Sprint Rapid 1:4 for paper as a first fix - 30 seconds! I love it.

ggbushaw
11-Jun-2007, 11:44
A different answer, just for variety. I use Kodak Rapid Fixer with hardener for film, and never scratch sheet film processing it emulsion side down in trays. For prints, I use Zonal Pro EC Rapid Fixer, which is a non-hardening fixer that at 1:9 it requires only 60 seconds for a complete fix--a great bonus. It tests out fine, although I fix final prints for another 5 minutes in plain hypo (250 g/l) before toning.

Edgar Praus
11-Jun-2007, 12:19
I always use Kodak Rapid Fix for negatives with the hardner - why not, it certainly is reasonable to think it could only help. I have been doing this for over 25 years and have never encountered any scratches! For prints I use the same fixer w/o hardner at film concentration. The capacity for archival printing is 40 - 8x10's per gallon of fix. After use, I add the hardner and use for film until testing indicates that the fix is exhausted.

Don Wallace
11-Jun-2007, 19:19
Don -

The first question that comes to mind is how do you know that those scratches resulted from a processing problem? Is it possible that there was a problem either loading or unloading the holders?

Louie, it is definitely possible, but this was the first time ever using non-hardening fixer and the first time ever I have seen scratches of that kind. It could be coincidence, but I was really curious about the experience of others.

Turner Reich
30-Sep-2008, 19:38
I've got a 5 gal Kodak Rapid Fix kit, can it be mixed for use in both film and paper? I usually use TF-4 and Zonal but it's been sitting in the darkroom for a while and the use by date is 2009 so it needs to get used.

Thanks,
tr

Gregg Cook
2-Oct-2008, 20:24
I use one of the five gallon kits and mine has the hardener separated.

Use hardener for film and none for prints in case of toning.