PDA

View Full Version : Re-gluing Linhof 'leather' ??

Rick Olivier
10-Jun-2007, 15:46
My Linhof Tech IV is starting to shed it's beige/brown leatherette type covering. Before I go and mess it up can anyone offer tips on doing this repair properly? I would guess removing the old glue residue and using contact cement is the way to go? thanks

rick olivier
new orleans

Ash
10-Jun-2007, 15:51
if it's only corners, then get yourself some PVA glue.

I recovered a whole Rolleiflex with new leather using PVA glue. It worked fine and is non-permanent. Contact cement is pretty nasty stuff. Use it wisely. I'd recommend a less permanent adhesive like pva unless you never want to see under the leatherette again.

John Hannon
10-Jun-2007, 15:53
I have used Pliobond for re-attaching coverings. It allows you to remove the leather for servicing in the future.

--John

David A. Goldfarb
10-Jun-2007, 15:56
I also recommend Pliobond for this purpose. It remains flexible and is easily removed for service.

Rob Vinnedge
11-Jun-2007, 08:20
A great source for camera repair is www.micro-tools.com. They offer options for glue, new self-adhering leatherette etc. I completely replaced the old leatherette on my 5X7 Technika V with new self-adhering black leatherette with no mess and no fuss.

David Luttmann
11-Jun-2007, 12:12
A great source for camera repair is www.micro-tools.com. They offer options for glue, new self-adhering leatherette etc. I completely replaced the old leatherette on my 5X7 Technika V with new self-adhering black leatherette with no mess and no fuss.

I tried buying from them a couple of years ago to repair the seals on my RB67. A single sheet of foam to cut stips from was cheap.....then they wanted to rip me off by charging over $40USD shipping to Canada. When I mentioned they could put it in a manilla envelope for about $2, they got very rude on the phone.

I found a supplier on Ebay that offered 3X the foam material, and charged me less than $4 shipping in a padded envelope. Nuff said!

John Hannon
11-Jun-2007, 13:43
I found a supplier on Ebay that offered 3X the foam material, and charged me less than $4 shipping in a padded envelope. Nuff said!

That was probably Jon Goodman. He sells light seal kits and offers detailed instructions for most cameras. He's a good guy to work with.

Neal Shields
11-Jun-2007, 13:59
Pliobond or 3M double sided mounting tape, I forget the number.

I used the tape when I recovered my V but have had good luck with Pliobond on other cameras.