PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Ground Glass

Gerry Harrison
9-Jun-2007, 11:04
Hello,

Has anyone tried this gents ground glass..his feed back is very good. Thanks Gerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/4x5-Brilliant-Ground-Glass-Hand-Ground-Corners-Clipped_W0QQitemZ170118969774QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15247QQcmdZViewItem

scrichton
9-Jun-2007, 11:30
not tried it, but it certainly looks like ground glass. So I can't really see much that could be wrong with it. As long its not broken in the post, throw caution to the wind and go for it.

Walter Calahan
9-Jun-2007, 12:12
Just got a 5x7 and a 4x5 gg from this fellow. Very nice gg. He discovered a few air bubbles in the first 4x5 gg he was going to send, so he made a new one and threw in the one with the few bubbles for free as a back-up.

I plan to have him make a few more 4x5s for me to replace the old gg in my Graflex cameras.

His turn around was very quick. I'm still waiting on my Satin Snow so I can compare the SS with this fellows.

Ken Lee
9-Jun-2007, 13:37
Excellent timing. I really want to get rid of the 5x7 fresnel I just got, and all I want is a good old piece of GG.

davidb
9-Jun-2007, 13:39
I too bought a 4x5 gg from this guy. His delivery was lightning.

I am new at this so I am not sure what to think but the glass had more "grain" in it than what I already had on my Zone VI.

Jon Wilson
9-Jun-2007, 13:42
I purchased an 11x14 gg from him. Fast delivery, quality gg, and the price definitely is very good. I have not made an extensive comparison with my Satin Snow gg, but with a casual comparison, it does project a nice image...maybe not as nice or as sharp as Satin Snow gg, but it costs less than 50% of the price of Satin Snow gg. I believe a truer test would be not only compare the image on the gg, but also take shots using each of the gg's under the same circumstances, lens, printing them and then compare.
If nothing else, it is super backup gg. I am confident I will purchase more gg from this seller and Dave at Satin Snow.
Jon

kjsphotography
9-Jun-2007, 14:47
it costs less than 50% of the price of Satin Snow gg
I will only use Satin Snow ground and the price? It is not expensive. His glass is extremely reasonable, extremely good and I wouldnt wan to use anythign else.

Satin Snow for me only...

davidb
9-Jun-2007, 15:11
Well...I too bought a Satin Snow. It will be another couple of months before I get it.

Rafael Garcia
9-Jun-2007, 20:25
I have bought both SS, and regular ground glass from eBay. The outfit I bought from in eBay was different, but I am very satisfied with the glass I received for the price and the time it took to get it. However, it is not nearly as good as the Satin Snow product. I recommend Satin Snow if you can afford the wait.

c.d.ewen
10-Jun-2007, 05:25
Well...I too bought a Satin Snow. It will be another couple of months before I get it.

I'm thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone's been waiting longer than I have. I ordered a GG from SS the day after Christmas, 2006. Now, in Dave's defense, I have to point out that I ordered a 12x20 GG, so I fully understand that this falls into the 'special order' catagory. But, still, I hadn't expected to wait 6 months.

And, yes, I did check with Dave to make sure the order hadn't been lost. In an email, he thought he might get it out in the next 10 days, or so, but that was over a month ago.

Charley

Sandeha
10-Jun-2007, 05:40
But, still, I hadn't expected to wait 6 months.

I didnt expect to wait ten months for my Satins. I ordered from the UK on August 9th, 2006, and Dave sent twice, but they never arrived. Finally, two days ago, I received my 5x7 and 4x5 screens.

They are ACE. I have my 4x5 set up in the studio with the shutter open - every time I pass it, it's like glancing at a TV screen.

turtle
11-Jun-2007, 01:00
Thankfully I ordered mine 2 years ago and got it within a couple of months even in teh UK. Wonderful glass with a FAR finer texture than teh original Zone 6 screen. Birghter. easier to focus and less green so an overall more colourful viewing experience! would also be interested to see how the new guy gets on withthese ebay screens. I wonder if they are the same quality.

Dave Parker
13-Jun-2007, 02:34
Well,

I do my glass in a similar fashion as this person is advertising, but I use a proprietary material for grinding the glass...but you can rest assured, every single one of them are hand ground, and hand cut as well as fit to the camera you are ordering for.

Now about the 50% less than mine? I am curious as to what that means, my 4x5 screens sell for $11.95 with a $5.00 shipping charge, which is $16.95 total, this persons screens are $20.00 including shipping, which unless my math is off, is $3.05 more than my 4x5 screen,...

In looking at his 11x14 screens his are cheaper, I guess the test is in the image...

Anyway, with over 30,000 screens sold, I welcome another screen to the business, and sorry that I take so long to get your screens out, but I am very anal in the quality I send out, so you know the screen you receive will be the same quality that I shoot in my own personal cameras.

Thanks again to all our loyal customers and rest assured, your screen will get to you as soon as possible.

And Please don't fault the guy for selling on ebay, after all that is the way we started out!:D

Also, one thing to note, if you look through his listings in his store, you will find the same sized glass screen listed at many different price points, so he is finding his place in the market, but at this time is bouncing around on pricing, so one may get a 11x14 for a certain price and another will pay a higher or lower price..

But I agree based on his pictures, his glass looks to be good quality

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass

Dave Parker
13-Jun-2007, 08:47
I'm thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone's been waiting longer than I have. I ordered a GG from SS the day after Christmas, 2006. Now, in Dave's defense, I have to point out that I ordered a 12x20 GG, so I fully understand that this falls into the 'special order' catagory. But, still, I hadn't expected to wait 6 months.

And, yes, I did check with Dave to make sure the order hadn't been lost. In an email, he thought he might get it out in the next 10 days, or so, but that was over a month ago.

Charley

Charley?

I did ship your screen in a wooden crate, if you have not received it, then I would have to assume that something is wrong in the shipping which has happened far more than I care to say this last year, with various shipping companies!

Let me check to see if I can figure out what happened, please send me another note via email and I am sure we can get this straightened out.

Dave

c.d.ewen
13-Jun-2007, 12:39
Let me check to see if I can figure out what happened, please send me another note via email and I am sure we can get this straightened out.

Dave

Hi, Dave:

Check your inbox.

Charley

seawolf66
14-Jun-2007, 07:18
David Parker : I have ordered from All I can say Is I'll get it when I get ,since I still need to learn the movements on the Linhof technika[I think]IV made in 1957? so thats all she wrote:: Lauren

Ken Lee
15-Jun-2007, 10:19
My 5x7 arrived, I installed it, and it works quite nicely. I ordered one with a grid.

The grid is, fortunately, not overly obtrusive: the lines are grey, not black.

Perhaps there are brighter GG's out there, but this one was within easy reach, and is real glass, much preferable to plastic fresnel.

MenacingTourist
20-Jun-2007, 07:37
...I welcome another screen to the business...

How many business owners would say this? I get tired just thinking about how busy Dave is! I have several SS screens and will be getting more.

Alan.

Jon Shiu
20-Jun-2007, 10:30
I received my ebay 5x7 glass 3 days after the end of the auction. Looks like very nice glass, though I had to sand down the edge a bit to get it to fit my B&J camera, which needs a slightly smaller than 5x7 inch size. Cost was about $15 incl. priority mail.

Jon

Kevin Klazek
20-Jun-2007, 12:25
I placed my order for an 8x10 dorff GG just after Christmas 2006 also. I am still waiting, but I know the wait is worth it. I have a SS for my 5x7 dorff also and love it. Dave has been very up front with long delivery times so I wait without complaint. The SS glass was brighter than the Deardorff glass on the 5x7.

scott_6029
20-Jun-2007, 13:00
I've made my own by polishing myself...takes about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes for 8 x 10....less for 4 x 5 - I used two compouds, one was finer...SEVERAL stops brighter....no comparision. I started with window glass from ACE...I put my own gridlines on with fine pencil. Works great....

davidb
20-Jun-2007, 13:28
How did you put a grid on a SatinSnow?

Dave Parker
20-Jun-2007, 14:48
We have had grid templates available for download off of our website for over three years now, they can be used 2 different ways, you can either print them out, they are full sized to fit the screens and then trace them on with a pencil as Scott talked about, or you can do as I do, pick up over head transparency material at Wal Mart or similar stores for about $6 for 10 8.5 x 11 sheets and print them out and then overlay your screen when you install them, which is what I have don't for a number of years now..

Dave

Rider
20-Jun-2007, 18:19
Is a fresnel screen usable/effective with Satin Snow? I am referring to the removable type of fresnel that clips on over the ground glass.

Also, how much brighter is satin snow than the Wisner ground glass?

Dave Parker
20-Jun-2007, 19:05
yes, you can use fresnels over or under our ground glass, depending on your original configuration of your camera, our screen is a simple replacement screen, it is made out of glass, then hand cut to fit the particular application..

I have never seen a Wisner in person, but I know we have sold a number of screens to Wisner owners. How much brighter is pretty relative, depending on how and what lenses you are intending to use your camera with, there is no secret weapon when it comes to the law of optics, there are better screens on the market, in the form of enhanced screens, but they do come at a cost..

Like I say, you have to make the choice on what you are going to use your particular camera and lenses for, because there are several different options available, and all of them are good..

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass

A.C.
23-Jun-2007, 01:43
I didnt expect to wait ten months for my Satins. I ordered from the UK on August 9th, 2006, and Dave sent twice, but they never arrived. Finally, two days ago, I received my 5x7 and 4x5 screens.

They are ACE. I have my 4x5 set up in the studio with the shutter open - every time I pass it, it's like glancing at a TV screen.

Sandeha
Read your experience - ACE no less?!
Really looking forward to getting mine, now! - I ordered 4th Jan 2007, and from a recent e-mail update from Dave expected to have received it by now. The postman has just given me bills this week...
I understand from Dave that he has "lost" a number of these in the postal system - unfortunately, it looks like mine may be yet another to have gone absent without leave.
Aynsley

Sandeha
23-Jun-2007, 02:18
I can only compare with old style glasses in plate cameras, Speed Graphics, and so on, but the SatinSnow does just what it says on the tin.

But I'd suggest it would be a good idea for DP to offer a courier service for international orders ... and raise his prices :cool:.

A.C.
23-Jun-2007, 08:00
Yes, possibly so.
I've had rather bad experiences with Parcelforce in the UK, though, so it does happen.

Dave Parker
23-Jun-2007, 08:05
Hi Guys,

At one time or another we have shipped orders with virtually every shipping company available in the US and have had problems with all of them, which is why I have adoped the policy of if a shipment goes missing, I just re-do and ship again, 99 out of a 100 times the second shipment arrives with no problem, Sandeha, was one of the rare exceptions and I am sorry, currently I have had my local post master start a full investigation to see if we can fix this current problem and get things a bit more reliable, which I am sure will happen.

Thanks again.

Dave

A.C.
23-Jun-2007, 08:15
Top effort, Dave.
Hope the local man sorts out the issues for you.
Later
Aynsley

rivermandan
28-Jun-2007, 17:37
My ground glass from this ebay guy just showed up, and I must say it is SOOO much brighter then the cracked glass I pulled from my crown graphic. Like a moron, I didn't 100% accurately measure the glass and it was about 1/16th of an inch to wide on one end, and he offered to ship me a new one for free. I instead wet sanded the one he sent me (took ma good 45 minutes) and it fits like a glove.

Dave Parker
28-Jun-2007, 19:33
My ground glass from this ebay guy just showed up, and I must say it is SOOO much brighter then the cracked glass I pulled from my crown graphic. Like a moron, I didn't 100% accurately measure the glass and it was about 1/16th of an inch to wide on one end, and he offered to ship me a new one for free. I instead wet sanded the one he sent me (took ma good 45 minutes) and it fits like a glove.

Wow,

You sanded 1/16th of an inch off your screen, I must say, my hat is off to you!

That is a hard task, believe me I know!

:)

Dave

A.C.
12-Jul-2007, 06:37
Given Dave's recent family events, I have to tell you that my long awaited Satin Snow GG arrived in the post this morning. Must have been one of the last batch he posted before his news.
Needless to say, my first reaction on seeing the parcel was to think about the events Dave is having to deal with right now.
Having said that, I will also say that the new GG exceeds my expectations, I look forward to using it soon.