PDA

View Full Version : Glacier National Park - Late June?

Ben Chase
4-Jun-2007, 19:19
Hi folks,

I'm tenatively planning a week-long trip in Glacier NP the last week of this month.

For those of you who've been there before, any suggestions for particular campgrounds and/or spots to visit would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first trip to Glacier.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the St. Mary lake area...Not sure what kind of fire damage there is around McDonald - but I certainly don't want to plan on good scenics there if there is a lot of unavoidable fire damage :)

It appears that unlike Denali, I can reserve backcountry permits for a particular campground - so the sooner I get my requests in, the better.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance you can provide.

Ben C

roteague
4-Jun-2007, 22:30
Try asking over at National Parks Chat. http://nationalparkschat.com/phpBB/index.php There is a pretty active group there, with lots of first hand knowledge of the park.

Steve Clark
5-Jun-2007, 04:22
Hi Ben
We were there last year about that time. Make sure the roads are open, or your driving distances can increase dramatically. When we arrived, Going to the Sun Road, had only been open less than a week. Check the Montana Gov. site for plenty of info. Weather was generally dry, although did have a few interesting storms come through. Temps. were 40s to 90s, sometimes in the same day! Many Glacier and Avalanche Creek are both interesting areas. We saw more bears up in Many Glacier than anywhere else. Don`t try and plan too much, it`s a huge area with weather and lighting that change by the minute. Have fun.