PDA

View Full Version : Decent photo vest?

cyrus
3-Jun-2007, 19:18
OK I think I'll break down and buy a photo vest because I want to look like a total camera geek...and because I just can't shove enough junk in my jean pockets.

The vests I've seen thus far all have their problems and seem to be more suited to making a fashion statement rather than being practical. My main gripe with them is that the pockets are not expandable enough (or at all)

Then there are the professional videographer photovests that make me look like I'm going bear hunting.

Is there any decent compromise out there?

PS what's with the khaki military Rambo theme in photographer clothing?

Ed Richards
3-Jun-2007, 19:26
Have you check these guys out:

http://www.vestedinterest.com/

Ron Marshall
3-Jun-2007, 19:37
I broke down last year, tired of running back and forth to my backpack. I have the Photogs vest from Domke. Definate Rambo look, but lots of large well-placed pockets. I usually shoot in out of the way places such as swamps, so I don't really care if I don't look fashionable, I just want to be able to work reasonably fast.

Ed Richards
3-Jun-2007, 20:05
As was discussed in a previous thread, you can also go for a belt with various pouches. This will be a lot cooler if you work in hot, humid conditions.

Ben Hopson
3-Jun-2007, 20:36
I agree with Ron's Domke Photogs suggestion. The pockets are more than adequate for all the gear I need close at hand without digging through the backpack. I never even considered what it looks like, just that it is functional. It might be making some kind of fashion statement, but I sure can't figure what that would be.

Ben

Greg Lockrey
3-Jun-2007, 21:21
I like my Domke too. I don't recall the style # but it's the one with the mesh shoulders for summer wear. Mine is 18% grey so it's a good source for Zone V. It looks like my flyfishing vest but a little larger.:)

cyrus
3-Jun-2007, 23:01
As was discussed in a previous thread, you can also go for a belt with various pouches. This will be a lot cooler if you work in hot, humid conditions.

Actually I do use pouches which I got at the army suplus store. I carry 2 grafmatics per pouch (for my handheld 4x5) and about 4 pouches on the belt. Makes my pants fall down.

I wish I could find ammo pouches that carried more grafmatics or that could close over them but all the surplus stores in my area have gone upscale and sell "designer" surplus crap now/

(also, I suspect that an Iranian wearing ammo pouches running around town will cause a bit of a ruckus...though thus far no one has said anything to me...perhaps out of terror...)

cyrus
3-Jun-2007, 23:03
I agree with Ron's Domke Photogs suggestion. The pockets are more than adequate for all the gear I need close at hand without digging through the backpack. I never even considered what it looks like, just that it is functional. It might be making some kind of fashion statement, but I sure can't figure what that would be.

Ben

Well, I'll tell you what fashion statement it makes:

"Hi. I'm a camera nerd who wears funny military style jackets with lots of pockets to hold onto his toys, and who will never meet any girls."

That's what the vests I tried on said.

cyrus
3-Jun-2007, 23:08
Have you check these guys out:

http://www.vestedinterest.com/

Bear huntin'.

Steve Clark
4-Jun-2007, 04:42
Been through the same exersize... The problem I had was finding one with pockets that would fit my 5x7 holders. Filson has a nice one that works for me.

Walter Calahan
4-Jun-2007, 07:11
too hot

put stuff in camera bags and place in a jogging stroller

roll gear around to lacation

cooler

easier on the back

mothers are disappointed there's no baby in the stroller

Brian K
4-Jun-2007, 07:20
I own several different vests, the Domke, a Tenba (tamrac?) and my current favorite is the safari one from Cabelas. It's cheap but the pockets are plentiful and it's well designed.

Steven Barall
4-Jun-2007, 07:55
The problem with those vestedinterest vests is they look like they're ready to blowup at any moment. If I saw someone walking through Times Square with one of those I might want to tell a police officer.

Ed Richards
4-Jun-2007, 07:58
> roll gear around to location

Hard to do in the swamp or through the reeds. Lowpro and Knesis both make bigger pouches that will close over holders and not look like a terrorist. You can add suspenders to avoid the pants problem - this style is known as dorkage. (Thanks to Dilbert)

Mike Davis
4-Jun-2007, 09:05
Well, I'll tell you what fashion statement it makes:

"Hi. I'm a camera nerd who wears funny military style jackets with lots of pockets to hold onto his toys, and who will never meet any girls."

Edward Weston wore a cape for years. If you read his Daybooks, you'll discover that he had few problems "meeting girls."

But, my real problem with most photography vests is that they don't work for me. I carry my camera (8x10 or 4x5) in a backpack, loupe around my neck stored in my shirt pocket. Film holders, meters, and extra cable release in backpack, pens and Moleskin in thigh pocket of a pair of BDU pants (Black, Blue, or Khaki). When I start shooting my spot meter goes into the other thigh pocked for easy access.

I would like a shoulder bag for filmholders, that would let me mount the camera on the tripod and basically dispense with carrying the backpack.

Mike

Ted Harris
4-Jun-2007, 09:07
Also try the Cabllas vests ... I have been using one for several years. Price is right too, cost me 50 bucks.

Marko
4-Jun-2007, 09:30
(also, I suspect that an Iranian wearing ammo pouches running around town will cause a bit of a ruckus...though thus far no one has said anything to me...perhaps out of terror...)

Unless you have "Iranian" painted in big, white block letters on the back, how would anybody know?

Then again, if you declare yourself a "Persian", you should be fine as most people here do not seem to connect the two and will consider you a rug salesman...

:D

Well, you don't take your camera out to find girls no more than you take your girl(s) out to find cameras, now, do you? :)

One thing at a time...

cyrus
4-Jun-2007, 09:56
Unless you have "Iranian" painted in big, white block letters on the back, how would anybody know?

By my turban and camel of course!

(that's a joke fellas. I have never actually seen a camel in Iran except in zoos. Now, flying carpets...I done seen a few of those in my time.)

cyrus
4-Jun-2007, 09:57
Edward Weston wore a cape for years. If you read his Daybooks, you'll discover that he had few problems "meeting girls."

Ah! (smacks forehead) that's what I've been doing wrong all this time!

Did the cape have a lot of pockets?

John Brady
4-Jun-2007, 10:14
OK don't laugh (too hard) at me, I have a vested interest vest. Although the vest does make me look like the uni-bomber, it is the best quality and most practical vest I have seen. I had John customize the pockets to fit my stuff. For example, the front right pocket holds my non folding ebony 45su with a lens mounted.
Front left holds various filters, block level, loupe etc. The top pockets hold my sekonic meter and various tools, insect repel, microfibre cloth and cleaning solution. The back center pocket holds my gitzo tripod and ball head. One of the back side pockets holds a gnass 3 lens case with lenses, the other will hold a box of readyloads and a gnass readyload case and holder.

The advantage for me is the short length allows me to walk in fairly deep water and not have to set a pack or anything else on wet ground. The places where I photograph I rarely run into other people. I try to keep my gear practical not fashionable.

Let the ridicule begin......
jb

Mike Davis
4-Jun-2007, 10:27
Front left holds various filters, block level, loupe etc. The top pockets hold my sekonic meter and various tools, insect repel, microfibre cloth and cleaning solution. The back center pocket hols my gitzo tripod and ball head. One of the back side pockets hols a gnass 3 lens case with lenses, the other will hold a box of readyloads and a gnass readyload case and holder.
jb

Interesting. So you carry all that you need in the vest. I had thought of using the backpockets of a shooting vest for 8x10 holders, but I hadn't thought of carrying lenses there.

Mike

cyrus
4-Jun-2007, 11:28
Let the ridicule begin......
jb

I think at some point it becomes a backpack rather than a vest

Chris Strobel
4-Jun-2007, 11:43
I use this cheap one from Adorama

http://www.adorama.com/ZZVCMKM.html?searchinfo=photo%20vest&item_no=4

Iis very well vented, has lined pockets to keep lint off stuff, doesn't hang too low, and fits MY gear perfecty which is spot meter, focus loupe, angle finder, calculator, cloth tape measure, hurricane blower bulb, camel hair brush, pen light, pen and note book, chocolate covered expresso beans and nicotine tablets :D

Alan Rabe
4-Jun-2007, 12:07
I have been using a Domke extra large for nigh on 20 years. It has a pocket for everything I need. The larger the size the bigger the pockets. I also use a three wheeled golf cart to carry the camera, a Zone VI 4x5. It is folded up and mounted to the tripod which sits in the cradle that the golf bag would normally sit in. There is a small pack on it to hold lens' and film holders. Between the two my outings are pretty much a breeze. Just got to remember to test fire before removing dark slide. :D

village idiot
10-Jun-2007, 20:13
Well, if you don't want to look like your preparing to abandon ship, You might want to try out a Skillers. After all, you are carrying your "tools", right? Plenty of room in those side pockets for film holders, and my misc doodads, (meter, filter pouch, remote triggers, etc) seem to fit just fine.

http://www.skillers.com/cgi-bin/store/store.cgi?&shop=skillers&cart=65210052x16950&session=466cb703423606c4&L=eng&P=4606-08

There are addon pouches available, and the heavy duty velcro straps on each side could be used to attach a plethora of lens cases, etc.

And, oh, yeah, note the price compared to some of the photog vests...

cyrus
10-Jun-2007, 21:46
Got a Cabela's "Safari Vest" in British Tan - now, I can shoot elephants, old chap!

Terence McDonagh
11-Jun-2007, 05:34
I believe I saw a few elephants congregating around Church Square Park on Saturday. Must have been feeding time.

cyrus
11-Jun-2007, 09:23
I believe I saw a few elephants congregating around Church Square Park on Saturday. Must have been feeding time.

Well, then just let me grab my vest and pith helmet wot wot. . .