PDA

View Full Version : Sinar system history

Stefan Lungu
2-Jun-2007, 12:04
Hello everybody,

I am still trying to put together my first LF system together. I got a Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm and I'm still looking out for the right camera. Now, I am still looking for a Sinar system, but I am having a problem finding out technical data about older Sinar systems. I found on the Sinar website information on the F1/F2 cameras, but not on the Sinar F. Anyone knowing where to get such information ?

Regards, Stefan

David A. Goldfarb
2-Jun-2007, 12:33
There is very little functional difference between the F/F1/F2

The F has the swing/tilt calculator on the side of the rear standard, and the F1 has the calculator on a rotating drum that can be seen directly from the back without turning your head to look at the side of the standard.

The F2 has that plus a more robust front standard with geared focus. The F/F1 front standard clamp is prone to breakage if it is overtightened, but it's easy enough not to overtighten it. The F2 is also all black with slightly different graphics.

I think the F2 always has the metering back (unless it's been switched with an older one), and the earlier ones may or may not have the metering back.

Jerry Flynn
2-Jun-2007, 18:07
What David said is accurate with a couple of additions. I have an F2 that I bought as new old stock. It does not have the metering back. So, some F2s do and some do not. It's not a big deal if you don't intend on using the Sinar meter probe system. Possibly later versions came with the meter back.

The F2s, in addition to having a more robust front standards with geared focus, have separate locks for swing/tilt and shift. The Fs and F1s have a single lock that controls both swing/tilt and shift. I found it a bit tricky to control both on the F I had earlier.

The front standard on the F and F1 is the "multipurpose standard". It was originally designed to be a means of linking bellows together to extend the close focus or to use long lenses. It was designed to be dropped onto the rail without the necessity of removing either front or rear standard. Therefore, it has a sort of latching system that allows the standard to be open at the bottom, dropped onto the rail and relatched. This latch system is what seems to cause people trouble with breakage as David mentioned.

I have used various configuations on Sinars for over thirty years and have not broken a multipurpose standard yet whether used as a front standard or for any other of its multiple uses.