PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Screen vs. Dick Dokas GG

Terry Schulz
2-Jun-2007, 09:39
I've read lots of favorable comments for the performance of both the Maxwell screen and the Dick Dokas grind-your-own GG in this forum. Has anyone had experience with both of these screens? How do they compare?

Dave Parker
2-Jun-2007, 10:33
Entirely different type of products, the ground glass is true ground glass, the Maxwell is an enhanced screen...I find it very difficult to compare the two products due the nature of their manufacture, and what they are specifically designed for..

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass

Joanna Carter
2-Jun-2007, 11:17
I would totally recommend the Maxwell; it is a micro-fresnel and distributes the light much more evenly over a greater range of focal lengths. I have one for my Ebony and it allows me to focus with every lens I have from 400mm right down to 72mm without any significant loss of light.

Brian Ellis
2-Jun-2007, 14:29
I've never used the Dick Dogas gg (never heard of it actually) but I used the Maxwell for several years and second Joanna's recomendation. I used an 80mm lens with it and had to look very hard to see any light fall-off around the edges. The Fresnel lines were also less noticeable - virtually not noticeable at all - than with any other Fresnel I've used when focusing with a loupe. It's hard for me to believe that the Dick Dogas is better though it may be very good and if the price is significantly less than the Maxwell as I assume it is then it might be worth a try.

Dave Parker
2-Jun-2007, 14:37
Personally as the largest ground glass manufacture in the world, I would have a hard time believing any ground glass would be better than the Maxwell enhanced screen. Completely different products..Your comparing Apples to Oranges...

Dave

Colin Graham
2-Jun-2007, 14:41
The Dokas gg refers to an article on grinding your own glass that appeared in PhotoTechniques several years ago. I went this route and got good results, as good as you can get with a plain ground glass, really. But by the time you order the grit, time spent, etc, etc you're much better off with a Satin Snow, imho. But Dave is right, comparing a plain gg to a Maxwell probably isnt fair, as the Maxwell is something like ten times the price.