PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Aerial 2422 Film

Randy H
1-Jun-2007, 17:45
Several months ago, I bought a 9-1/2 inch by 500 foot roll of this film off eBay for $2.50 plus shipping. Expiry is fairly recent (couple years). Figured if it works, cool. If not, no real big loss. It is estar-base, but kinda on the thin side (4.1 mil as opposed to 7 mil). I figured shooting 5X7 I may be ok. If worse-to-worse, I figured I could sticky the middle. Realize it has the anti-halation backing, so before dev, pre-wash, use red safe-light, etc. Got that much. (also found out OA & OC filters definitely do not work) BUT Questions:
Anybody ever use any of this stuff for shooting?
Approximate speed for 5X7, 240+ lens? Or pinhole?
Development? I have on hand D-19 D-76 Perceptol and a couple paper dev's.
I know on the lith, I use near-exhausted dektol at 1:9 for dev. Works pretty good. Does this shoot anything like the Kodak or Arista Lith? Should I find a dumpster?

JW Dewdney
1-Jun-2007, 17:58
It's not aerial film. It's 'aerographic' film. Duping film. Meaning... it's meant to be used for duplicating aerial negatives. SO- it's probably a bit higher contrast than normal film at recommended development times (whatever those are). I'll try to find some info on it later... I have some kodak reference books that might have something in it. If you just use basic ZS techniques - you can figure it out for yourself without too much trouble.

Jim Galli
1-Jun-2007, 18:23
It should be OK in 15W red lamp light about 4+ feet from the source. Try ASA 3. Develop it with my formula (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/FreestyleAPHS/DevelopingAPHSwRodinal.html) I use on lith film.

Randy H
1-Jun-2007, 19:07
It should be OK in 15W red lamp light about 4+ feet from the source. Try ASA 3. Develop it with my formula (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/FreestyleAPHS/DevelopingAPHSwRodinal.html) I use on lith film.

Yep. I haunt your site. A lot. I have been wanting to try the rodinal, but it is getting harder and harder to find. Seems the only place I see it is on Ebay, and just haven't had the nerve to bid on any "yet". I kinda cringe at the thought of getting a bottle of cystallized goo.

JW - If you find any more than what is in Kodak's generic pub for the 2422, I would definitely appreciate it. It has info on using to dupe negs, but not much more info.

John Kasaian
1-Jun-2007, 21:16
Randy,
Fresh Rodinal is still available---most of the usual mail order houses stock it. Freestyle carries it.

Randy H
2-Jun-2007, 05:29
Thanks.
I check Freestyle occasionally for paper and stuff. I did not realize they carried the rodinal. Dumb-ass me never even thought to look.

John Bartley
2-Jun-2007, 08:33
Several months ago, I bought a 9-1/2 inch by 500 foot roll of this film off eBay for $2.50 plus shipping.

Anybody ever use any of this stuff for shooting?

Development?

Should I find a dumpster?

I use the Aerographic 2402 in my 8x10. I don;t know how it compares to 2422, but maybe an example of how it works for me will encourage you to try yours. I cut it into 8" chunks on a paper cutter (guillotine type) and just pretend that the 9.5" length is 10". It's stiff enough that it doesn't sag or fall out of an 8x10 Elite holder (I have three holders and they all work just fine with it cut at 8"x9.5").

I played with it for a while (not scientifically - no fun that way..) and found that I like the 2402 at asa=25

I use D-D23 to develop it - it's very forgiving for temp and time.

I don't have many scans of prints, but here's a couple of my earlier attempts - please excuse the dust - it's from the scan, not the photo - these are scans I took to see how I could play with printing.

cheers

ps : dumpster?? - yup - my dumpster and I'll pay shipping :)

Donald Qualls
2-Jun-2007, 11:15
I have been wanting to try the rodinal, but it is getting harder and harder to find. Seems the only place I see it is on Ebay, and just haven't had the nerve to bid on any "yet". I kinda cringe at the thought of getting a bottle of cystallized goo.

Crystals in the bottom of Rodinal are normal -- in fact, if there aren't at least a few crystals there, the concentrate will go off pretty rapidly (the crystals are supposed to be p-aminophenol sulfonate, acting as built-in preservative and developing agent replenisher to offset the oxidation that makes opened Rodinal fairly quickly turn the color of strong coffee or flat cola). The stuff is well known to last approximately forever; there are many well documented cases of people getting normal results from bottles that had been opened and partially used, and then sat on a shelf for literally multiple decades.

However, another option if you want to try Rodinal but don't want to find a dealer on line (Freestyle has it) or buy from a questionable eBay source at an inflated price is to make your own. I make Parodinal (http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photography/Dilutions%20and%20Times.html#Parodinal) from generic acetaminophen tablets, bulk sodium sulfite, and household lye (sold as a drain opener). Dilutions and times are the same as for Agfa/A&O Rodinal, and it costs me about 55 cents (including distilled water at $1.19 a gallon) to make 100 ml of concentrate, which will (at 1:50 dilution) develop up to 80 4x5 sheets (depending on how much liquid your developing method requires). I haven't done any real longevity tests, but I've had batches of my Parodinal that took as long as six months to use up and still gave the same results at the end as at the beginning (usually I find the stuff finally goes bad when there's less than 10 ml left on the crystals in the bottom of a 150 ml clear glass jar); the stuff doesn't even get darker than milk with a little tea in it if I close it tightly after mixing and then let it stand for up to a month (the longest I've given it so far), though like commercial Rodinal, it darkens pretty rapidly after a few exposures to air to take up concentrate for dilution.

Randy H
2-Jun-2007, 11:53
However, another option ... is to make your own. I make Parodinal (http://silent1.home.netcom.com/Photography/Dilutions%20and%20Times.html#Parodinal) from generic acetaminophen tablets, bulk sodium sulfite, and household lye (sold as a drain opener).

Cool. I had not seen that one. I have played with the caffenol. I have to order the washing soda online. Nobody in Tulsa carries it! I will have to try the parodinal. I have been to digitaltruth site, and appreciate the link to your site. I like it when the person has tried it before saying it works, and giving honest opinion about the "bad".

I guess the next time I spend too much time with the tequila, I can mix up some parodinal and caffenol to get me going, huh? Anybody have a good developer made from tequila? I know a lot can "develop" if taken in large quantities. Reasonably good "enlargement" properties too. Makes a chihuahua think he's a pit bull.

Donald Qualls
2-Jun-2007, 14:44
Heh. Not to mention tequila has been known to make an A cup look like Pam Anderson (though beer goggles will do that, too).

Actually, though, the Caffenol family (Caffenol, Caffenol C, Caffenol LC and Caffenol LC+C) are the only developers I know of where actually drinking them is unlikely to do any harm. Washing soda isn't recommended for ingestion, but reasonable quantities will just neutralize to salt and generate carbon dioxide just as baking soda does when taken as an antacid. Wouldn't recommend drinking Parodinal, though -- even in working solution the pH is enough to irritate mucous membranes (like the linings of your mouth and throat), even if the p-aminophenol weren't significantly toxic (it is, unfortunately, if ingested, and there's no unreacted acetaminophen left in the stuff after it's sat the recommended 72 hours from mixing time).

Hard to believe they don't sell washing soda in Tulsa. Maybe a hard water issue? The stuff will react to form suspended chalk if there's calcium in the water...