PDA

View Full Version : 80mm XL and Ebony SV45ti

Randy Redford
1-Jun-2007, 17:43
I just got this lens today and when mounted on a flat board, I can't seem to draw the bellows in enough to focus at infinity without hitting the back swing/shift plate. Anyone figured out how to use this lens without the raised standard/back position on the camera? Would a recessed board help? If you do use it in the normal position, do you have problems with the bed showing? Thanks for any insights.

Randy

Rider
1-Jun-2007, 18:01
One of the reasons I stayed away from that Ebony (besides being a cheapskate) is that there are better cameras for wide angle work.

Ron Marshall
1-Jun-2007, 18:18
The specs for the camera state min bellows of 85 mm without tilting and rise. So it looks like you need a recessed board.

Eric Leppanen
1-Jun-2007, 18:36
It's been awhile since I sold my SV45U2, so I don't remember many specific experiences with it anymore, but I didn't have to mount my SS80XL on a recessed board or use the Ebony "wide angle configuration". Supposedly your SV45Ti (as well as my old SV45U2) has a minimum bellows extension of 85mm, and the flange focal (infinity) distance of the SS80XL is 84.7mm, so by the time you stop down, infinity (theoretically) should be well in focus. Three tenths of a millimeter shouldn't make that much difference. Is your lens mounted flush onto the lens board (there is no spacer ring between the back of the shutter and the front of the board)?

A recessed lens board would definitely resolve the issue, but these are a pain to use (although admittedly less of a pain than the wide angle configuration). A recessed board would have the added benefit of providing a bit more bellows slack (allowing a bit more room for movements), but reading/setting the shutter and f-stop controls would be more difficult (when using a recessed board with my SA58XL, I often found it easier to remove the lens from the camera, set the shutter speed and f-stop, and replace the lens in the camera). And in dim light, reading the shutter and f-stop settings within the recess can be difficult without a flashlight.

Greg Binon
1-Jun-2007, 20:33
A recessed board in not required...This link should help you. I also recommend you bite the bullet and get universal bellows.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/wa.lenses.SV.html

Randy Redford
1-Jun-2007, 21:07
Universal bellows are coming, so that should ease the movement situation, but I was hoping to avoid having to reposition the front standards to the wide angle position. I was hoping that the recessed board would do the trick.

Eric James
1-Jun-2007, 22:18
I had a SV45U2 that would focus the 80mm SS XL - just barely. I currently own the RW45E and my camera does not meet or match the specs on the website; misleading specs perhaps, sample variation more likely. The wide-angle configuration is a pain when both standards are involved but it isn't a big deal with one standard - I would preferred to use this approach rather than use a recessed board. If you have small hands with long fingers a recessed board might be the best bet.

Joanna Carter
2-Jun-2007, 04:53
Universal bellows are coming, so that should ease the movement situation, but I was hoping to avoid having to reposition the front standards to the wide angle position. I was hoping that the recessed board would do the trick.

You really don't need the recessed board. I have a SV45Te and can quite comfortably focus a Schneider 72mm SuperAngulon XL with some degree of movement. The universal bellows will usually allow you sufficient movement; in fact the lack of movement may help you avoid vignetting :rolleyes:

Yes, it means using rise and reverse base tilt to get the smaller distances but I can actually get about 40mm back-focus adjustment from the infinity focus point for a 72mm lens. See the attached images.

Raising the centre this way also helps avoid getting the baseboard in the shot; something to consider if using a recessed board.