PDA

View Full Version : Graflex XLSW

dazedgonebye
1-Jun-2007, 08:14
Hi there,

I'm considering a Graflex XLSW. Another option for wide work is a Century Graphic with a 47mm lens (assuming I could find one).
Does anyone know if the 47mm on the graflex XLSW can be easily adapted to a century graphic?

Anyone with general thoughts and advice re: the graflex XLSW?

Thanks

Dan Fromm
1-Jun-2007, 10:12
Um, I shoot a 47/5.6 SA on my Century. The XLSW's SA is an f/8, will fit a Century too.

When you go shopping, remember that lenses and camera bodies are sold separately. Most of the Century Graphics offered on eBay or by dealers like mpex.com have no lens or a normal lens. Get a body with or without a normal lens, then add lenses.

But, and beware, lenses for the XL are usually in shutters with no cable release socket. I have an ex-XL 58/5.6 Grandagon that I'm going to have to reshutter when I convince myself to use it more.

dazedgonebye
1-Jun-2007, 10:40
Um, I shoot a 47/5.6 SA on my Century. The XLSW's SA is an f/8, will fit a Century too.

When you go shopping, remember that lenses and camera bodies are sold separately. Most of the Century Graphics offered on eBay or by dealers like mpex.com have no lens or a normal lens. Get a body with or without a normal lens, then add lenses.

But, and beware, lenses for the XL are usually in shutters with no cable release socket. I have an ex-XL 58/5.6 Grandagon that I'm going to have to reshutter when I convince myself to use it more.

I guess that shutter release bit makes sense. Certainly detracts from the value if I've got to provide a new shutter for that application.
Thanks

John Schneider
1-Jun-2007, 11:14
Why not a 6x9 Brooks Veriwide with permanently-attached 47 f8 S-A (a few came with the 5.6) in helical mount? It comes with a Mamiya-inspired 6x9 back, but a Polaroid back is out there and a Graflex 2x3 adapter will allow fitting Graflex and 2x3 Horseman backs. They used to cheap at ~$450 on eBay but the latest one I've seen are in the $900 range.

dazedgonebye
1-Jun-2007, 15:14
The graflex XSLW looks to be a near equivalent of the brooks. Same 47mm f8 lens and interchangeable backs.

russyoung
2-Jun-2007, 06:52
I've owned both the Graflex and the Brooks, both with the 47 S-A. I kept the Graflex- it is more compact and simply fit my hands better. Alas I don;t use it much anymore as I don't 'see' in wide-angle like I did twenty years ago. Its a dandy design and I recommend one highly!
Russ

Dan Fromm
2-Jun-2007, 10:49
The graflex XSLW looks to be a near equivalent of the brooks. Same 47mm f8 lens and interchangeable backs.Far equivalent is more like it. The XLSW has interchangeable lenses, the Veriwide doesn't. Against that, if you want to go really wide the Veriwide 100, if you can find one, produces a longer negative than the XLSW.

Cheers,

Dan

dazedgonebye
4-Jun-2007, 21:25
Far equivalent is more like it. The XLSW has interchangeable lenses, the Veriwide doesn't. Against that, if you want to go really wide the Veriwide 100, if you can find one, produces a longer negative than the XLSW.

Cheers,

Dan

So, with the proper spacers, I could use other lenses of the XL family?