PDA

View Full Version : VX125 or Arca F-C or Lihnof Master tech2000

mario abba
24-Jun-2000, 11:59
Hello', Please, could anyone experienced post opinion on choosing one of this cameras? I intend to use it mostly in the field, but I like that it has capability of doi ng some still life studio work. Easiness and quickness to use and set up very im portant. Thank you very much for your time.

M.
24-Jun-2000, 15:19
The Technika, although expensive and heavy, would be hard to beat as a field camera, but not really suitable for still life studio work.

Glenn Kroeger
24-Jun-2000, 16:53
Mario: I would vote for the Arca-Swiss. It is lighter than the Linhof, and a more expandable system than the Toyo. I use the F-Line Field (6x9 front, 4x5 back) and find it to be very quick to set up and it packs well in a backpack. I have the standard not the folding rail so that I can use longer lenses (300mm). The F-line 4x5 with the larger front standard will give you more rise, but also more weight.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2000, 00:55
The Linhof that competes with the Toyo and the Arca is the Technikardan not a Technika.

Dave_958
25-Jun-2000, 06:46
The focal length of your preferred close-up lens may affect your choice of camera. A bulky f5.6 180 mm close up lens requires 360 mm bellows extension to get 1:1 image reproduction. A compact f9 210 mm process lens is suitable for both close up and at infinity, but requires 420 mm bellows extension for 1:1 reproduction -- beyond range of MT 2000, but (with accessory), achieveable by Arca F-C. I do not know about

Paul Schilliger
25-Jun-2000, 08:17
Mario, I have a Technika and a VX 125, both very good but with some limitations . Master: extremely well built, compact, but unfortunately no lens fall or back rise, VX: the most compac t, light monorail, one bellows is needed for lenses from very wide up to 300 mm, excellent movements bu t not steady enough in windy conditions. You might read the reviews in the "Camera reviews" threads. I have not used an Arca, but I think it is roughly similar to the VX, with a bit more weight and two bell ows needed to accommodate a normal range of lenses. More cumbersome rail though but nice Orbix axial tilt option. There is an other camera, some photographers highly praise: the Ebony SV45 U2. It seems that this camera is very stable, very well built and offers some interesting features such as the U back. It is c ompact and takes a broad range of lenses, although the use of a bag bellows is recommended for wide angle s. It was a bit expensive and I couldn't put my hand on one to see how it felt when I purchased the Toyo, but on a similar price base and primarily for field work, I think I would have gone for that one. It seems t o be OK in the studio too. Fair wind!

Ellis Vener
25-Jun-2000, 18:43
Arca Swiss F-Line or Linhof TK45s. For studio work a camera that is a yaw free d esign makes life much, much simpler, so that rules out the Linhof (which is still a great camera and if you prefer on axis tilts, that is the way to go, and as Bob S. will tell you, if you tilt the TK45s on its side it is then yaw free) . Ifyou get the metric and and orbix options on the Arca you'll have a great field & stu dio camera.

Bob Salomon
26-Jun-2000, 00:17
"For studio work a camera that is a yaw free design makes life much, much simpler"

W H Y?

mario abba
26-Jun-2000, 00:45
Thank you very much for your postings, I think I'm getting somewhere now: at this time my dilemma is restricted to only two cameras: Toyo VX125 which sound very fast to set up (ideal for catching rapid changings in the landscape scene) and Arca Swiss FC which sounds more capable then the other, what stops me is their costumer service (I read some where about it),I feel a little insecure about that. Anyway what is the Orbix? I can't find any information about it, I can't find their web site also. Thanks again.

Brad Evans
26-Jun-2000, 01:48
Mario,

Orbix is an optional (extra cost) front standard module for Arca-Swiss F line cameras and permits axial lens tilts. The standard A-S F line camera front tilts along the base of the lens board. Base tilts require a focus readjustment - lens tilts do not. I think Ellis is much more qualified to comment on the value of this and the circumstances where this may or may not be useful.

If you're interested in the Arca, you might consider talking to Jeff at Badger Graphic. Web site is http://www.badgergraphic.com. Click on Large Format, then Arca-Swiss. Prices at Badger are decent and Jeff knows this product. I'm a happy cust

shaman
27-Jun-2000, 00:14
Mario, check this website - there was a discussion about the Orbix a few weeks ago! Regarding "Customer Support" - I was one of the complainants, but once I got my Arca (after some "cruel" wait ;-) I must say I am more than satisfied!

Ellis Vener
27-Jun-2000, 20:34
Thank you Bob for asking that question. Please explain why linhof offers (offere d?) yaw free Kardan cameras and i think you'll find your answer. More to the point YOU know the answers to that question. Linhof offers more camera designs t han just the TK45s and and the Technika designs. Some of those designs are designed to be used in the studio and are yaw free.

Bob Salomon
27-Jun-2000, 22:19
Why is yaw free important?